Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2500 1701-D (Round 2 AMT)  (Read 2565 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
Re: 1/2500 1701-D (Round 2 AMT)
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 09:04:09 am »
Thanks all!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 07:51:31 am »
Looking forward to seeing your painting scheme applied!

It should be awesome when done; tedious in execution!

Stay Strong!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 05:17:35 am »
I could use a little advice on the nacelles (even though there are still hundreds of holes to drill).  The Enterprise C came with nacelles in three pieces: left and right halves and a separate piece for the bussard collector.

The Enterprise D nacelles are two pieces, upper and lower.  As I would like to light the nacelles, the collector end now poses a problem.  The seam will be right across the front.  Any thoughts on how the seam can be smoothed and the collector painted so as to minimize the appearance of the seam once the nacelle is lit?  I am also entertaining the thought of only painting the collector and not lighting it.

[been out of the country for a couple of weeks, so no progress]
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 01:13:25 pm »
The Enterprise D nacelles are two pieces, upper and lower.  As I would like to light the nacelles, the collector end now poses a problem.  The seam will be right across the front.  Any thoughts on how the seam can be smoothed and the collector painted so as to minimize the appearance of the seam once the nacelle is lit?  I am also entertaining the thought of only painting the collector and not lighting it.

There are a couple of options. First, use clear cement to glue it all together, polish the HELL out of the collector, and hope the seam ultimately doesn't show with the light. If you do paint, use something like a Tamiya clear red.

Second option is much more involved. Glue up and polish the nacelle like above, CUT OFF THE COLLECTOR, then take that resulting piece and cast it in clear resin.

This was the one part of that kit that I always feel AMT kind of missed the boat on in terms of engineering. Granted, at the time lighting it was almost practically a fool's errand since we didn't have white LEDs, so the only lighting that would fit in the bulk of it would have been tiny incandescent bulbs, but it still feels like a missed trick.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2017, 02:40:27 pm »
Thanks Lynn, I've had some other thoughts as well, though the implementation will be decidedly non-canon.  Your thoght about cutting off the collector and going with clear resin is intriguing, though I have a very limited idea about how I would go about that.  Cut it off press into molding material, pour in resin...I think I could do that but it might be more than I'd like to tackle for this tiny kit.  still, now that the seed is planted...

In other news I have just about finished drilling on the upper saucer.  The aft portions were a goof in that I did not seal the decals after printing...have to do those over again.

Decals for the lower saucer (not including engineering) are placed and when dry I'll begin drilling those.

I have also figured out how to do my paint scheme--the idea came during my Sunday morning long run today.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 06:47:59 pm »
Thanks Lynn, I've had some other thoughts as well, though the implementation will be decidedly non-canon.  Your thoght about cutting off the collector and going with clear resin is intriguing, though I have a very limited idea about how I would go about that.  Cut it off press into molding material, pour in resin...I think I could do that but it might be more than I'd like to tackle for this tiny kit.  still, now that the seed is planted...

In other news I have just about finished drilling on the upper saucer.  The aft portions were a goof in that I did not seal the decals after printing...have to do those over again.

Decals for the lower saucer (not including engineering) are placed and when dry I'll begin drilling those.

I have also figured out how to do my paint scheme--the idea came during my Sunday morning long run today.

To quote George Takei, "OH MY!!"

I've been trying to re-hab my old fiber optic 1/1400 scale 'D' by drilling out the windows. Haven't touched it in a few months. I can't imagine trying it on the 1/2500 scale. Superb work!
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 03:45:13 pm »
Total windows hollowed out to date: 479.  I'd guess that's not quite a third. 

Bad news: the windows on the lower saucer require three holes drilled per window, rather than the two on the upper saucer. 

Good news: many of the windows on the engineering section are too small to make into rectangles, so most of these will be one hole drilled.

Back to the nacelle question.  The picture below gave me an idea.  I could hide the seam in plain site by not trying to make it go away.  I will add some up/down pieces of styrene so that, combined with the seam, there is a 'grid' in the collector.  Not perfect, but I think it will work.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 07:41:43 am »
Total windows hollowed out to date: 479.  I'd guess that's not quite a third. 

I think my next project is going to be a "C" and I am not looking forward to cutting out the windows. Stay strong and persevere! You can do this!

Back to the nacelle question.  The picture below gave me an idea.  I could hide the seam in plain site by not trying to make it go away.  I will add some up/down pieces of styrene so that, combined with the seam, there is a 'grid' in the collector.  Not perfect, but I think it will work.

Interesting! Wouldn't have thought to place a grid in the Bussard Collectors.

Another solution to the seam is to order some aftermarket parts for the Bussard Collectors. DLM, if he is still open, has a solid, red-colored piece for the collector that would really compliment your build. I ordered a set for the "C" and have it ready to go once I start. Downside is that it may take time to receive it and may cause an interruption in your build. Food for thought.

Still, this is looking good, Scott!

Keep at it and stay strong! ;D

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 01:35:34 pm »
I don't mind drilling the windows, much, but the more I think about the nacelles the less happy I become.  If I were to cut off the bussard collectors and cast them in clear, there would still be light leak issues to deal with.  Moreover, I still don't have a good idea on how the nacelles are going to get power in the first place. 

Most likely a thin and shallow trench could be cut from the engineering section through the nacelle struts.  I've seen this done before, but with larger kits.  This one is small, however, and thin.

Last for now, a note on how I go about cutting windows.  Lay down decals.  Use scribe to lightly press a divot into 1, 2 or 3 places depending on the length of the window.  Drill out these with appropriate sized bit.  Use hobby knife to punch through and connect the holes.  Use micro saw to hollow out and smooth.

Total windows to date: 657

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 06:58:28 pm »
Still hoping for wisdom on the nacelles.  Though I don't want to slice them up, Lynn's idea is leading right now.

Total windows at present: 1058.  Yep.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 07:36:45 am »
Still hoping for wisdom on the nacelles.  Though I don't want to slice them up, Lynn's idea is leading right now.

Total windows at present: 1058.  Yep.

Scott, I think your best bet is Lynn's idea. Although photobucket has hijacked my pics, I think using the acrylic sprinkle technique will work well; similar to my casting of the CM for the Protector build. While I haven't gotten my whole thread back up, this post is still there for you to look at.

Like Lynn says, you could assemble the two pieces (I assume two due to the seam), sand it to as smooth as possible. I have taken a hot instrument and flowed a bit of candle wax over the part; you could over the seam. Using a quick pass through of the part over the candle flame or a few waves of a heatgun/hairdryer to melt and further flow the wax onto the part, you can then use a damp cotton ball to polish the wax down; like you would put a shine on a military boot. The wax will also help with separating the pattern from the mold.

Then make your mold and use the acrylic and monomer sprinkle technique to layer and fill the mold with the acrylic. Then let it set, de-mold and finish.

That's how I would try and dupe it.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Would love to see how you do get it dupped!

Steady as she goes!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 04:55:57 pm »
Wow.  Finishing the collectors is going to be one serious pain in the patootie methinks.

In the meantime, >1100 windows now open.  Only part left is the small ones on the 'saucer support', aka, near the battle bridge.  I'll tap those tomorrow morning before taking a serious look at sawing off the collectors.  Yikes.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 12:09:41 pm »
Finished with window installation, a total of 1268.  Yikes.  Now on to the lighting part, which is far more fun.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 01:52:18 pm »
Looks like you did a great job on the windows, Scott!

Well done!

What have you decided about the Bussard Collectors?

Keep going!!

Steve

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 05:18:11 pm »
What type or brand of micro saw did you use? The X-Acto ones I have are barely small enough for the 1/1400 D windows.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Enterprise © Bloc