Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2500 1701-D (Round 2 AMT)  (Read 2508 times)

Online LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: 1/2500 1701-D (Round 2 AMT)
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2017, 11:10:17 am »
Doesn't look like you finished the lower engineering windows there. Hope you deal with that before paint goes down, much less sealing things up. :o

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2017, 03:19:43 pm »
Not sure I get your meaning Lynn, though I decided not to make them oblong, I've cut them wherever the decals had them.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Online LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2017, 05:39:11 pm »
Not sure I get your meaning Lynn, though I decided not to make them oblong, I've cut them wherever the decals had them.

That's basically what I was seeing, not-oblong, just holes. Wasn't sure if it was deliberate or not.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2017, 07:40:41 am »
Scott, nice job so far!

I'm really likin the fixes you have! The styrene strips to secure the SMD strips is really inspired! Your idea?

The red lines on the saucer; is that where you are planning to route the wires? Or did I miss my guess as to their true purpose?

I'm not seeing your fix for hiding the bussard collector seams so I'm thinking they are on the inside and will only appear while lighted.

I admire your perseverance, especially with this scale. I would have lost my eyesight - even with loops!

Keep going, Sir! Good Job!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2017, 07:10:47 pm »

That's basically what I was seeing, not-oblong, just holes. Wasn't sure if it was deliberate or not.

Yeah, those little guys are so small that completing them as oblongs would have been very problematic.  Not the best look, but the max of what I could force myself to do.  I'm hoping that a sealant coat of clear (some time off) will fill them in rather than having to do each one by hand.

BTW, although this one was deliberate, please feel free to point out if you think I've left something out.  I'd much rather take another look then find out after the fact that I missed a thing easier fixed  before assembly.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:20:49 pm by scottminium »
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2017, 07:28:55 pm »
@Steve,  the collectors remain to be seen.  They need to be cleaned up (sanded and smoothed) before I will know what else needs to be done.  The seam across the front will be there, so the task is to distract the eye from it.  I plan to hide it in plain sight.  BTW, the color on the nacelles is great, just needs to be finished.

As for the saucer, the strip lighting is now cemented in place and the tiny wires run straight to the exit of the lower saucer.  This area already has some room to work, so nothing more was needed.  The magnet wire is small enough you don't have to avoid its being seen.

Tonight the strip LEDs were wired up, tested, cemented in place, and tested again.  Tomorrow will tell if the effect is good enough or if more are needed.  The lower engineering portion needs some sanding, as do the nacelles, so we are aways off from sealing anything together.  Saucer might happen tomorrow.

The final assembly sequence is: seal up saucer, cement saucer to upper engineering, wire up top/bottom and join the two engineering sections together.

And lastly for tonight, though the contact areas were covered with 'micromask' prior to lightblocking, it did not lift cleanly, thus the 'smudgy' looking areas around the edges.  Meh, they won't be visible.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2017, 07:52:40 am »
This is gonna be great, Scott!

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'smudgy' looking areas around the edges. Like you said, they wont be visible.

Understood about the Bussard Collectors.

Do you have ideas about the display base?

Steady as she goes, Helm!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2017, 07:03:58 pm »
@Steve, Haven't thought much about the base, though I am leaning toward the low-tech solution I used last time.  This kit is interesting in that it has the support inside for a stand, but no external hole...I need to drill that a bit deeper, and lower the part inside to supply adequate light to the deflector.

Did a lighting check tonight and found the strip LEDs are doing a wonderful job...except for the outer sets of windows on the upper saucer.   :o

I still had some tiny SMDs around from my last 1/2500 build, so 6 of these will be used in three pairs to light the outer portions.  Soldering done tonight, installation tomorrow.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2017, 06:56:31 am »
Scott, did you cast a clear part for the deflector?

It didn't look like you did, but I am curious as to how you are going to light it.

How did the soldering and installation go? Any update?

Keep going! I wanna see this one in lights!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2017, 08:44:10 am »
After some travel and a busy week, a chance to sit back down with this build.

The saucer is assembled now.  I forgot to take pictures of the upper section before sealing it up, but there is a tiny birds nest of thin wires after placing six SMD LEDs.  The strip lights worked well, but not enough on the periphery of the saucer.  As a result, there are two different color light sources, which actually looks pretty good. 

On the lower engineering section and nacelles, the sanding is complete and the lighting of the bussards is being evaluate.  Overall the seams are much less pronounced than I thought they would be, which is nice. 

Next step is to clean up the saucer then mount it to the upper engineering section.

Pics later today.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2017, 02:21:41 pm »
Tested the lower hull and nacelles with primer.  Overall they look pretty good, but there a couple of spots that need attention.  After a couple more lighting checks, the upper engineering section is now joined to the saucer section.  This joint looks pretty good and will require a minimum of work. 

@Steve, I missed your asking about the deflector.  It will be lit by the same lights you can see in the engineering section.  The deflector will be masked and painted after final assembly.  A small amount of putty work will be needed when it is joined to the lower half.

Afraid I don't have your expertise with the clear castings!

Also, the nacelles are looking pretty good (including the bussards).  I'll post a pic of that soon.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2017, 07:46:55 am »
@Steve, I missed your asking about the deflector.  It will be lit by the same lights you can see in the engineering section.  The deflector will be masked and painted after final assembly.  A small amount of putty work will be needed when it is joined to the lower half.

Ah. I see. I would think the styrene, without any light blocking, would be thin enough to allow enough light to pass through. Clever thinking, Sir!

Afraid I don't have your expertise with the clear castings!

Sometimes I feel like this is my expertise on clear castings...

But,  ;D Thanks!

Still love to see your work!

Keep going!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2017, 07:14:14 pm »
So, tonight is the last post for a little while.  Headed to Wyoming for the eclipse, so no posts this weekend.  Tonight, however, I did the last cementing for the kit.  Previously the support (5/32" aluminum tubing) was glued into place using white gorilla glue.  I thought I would be able to extract the tube after it dried but nooope.

After soldering the wires together and sealing them with gorilla glue, the whole mess was cemented together.  Thus far, minimal light leaks and only a little putty work required.  The nacelles, however, are canted down, so after the eclipse trip I'll have the spouse unit hold the heat gun while I hold the nacelles in place one by one.  Should be a piece of pie.  Er, cake.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2017, 07:54:06 am »
Scott, I hope you had a good eclipse veiwing! The view here wasn't total coverage but still awesome and inspiring!

The build is looking good!

Just a couple of questions for you:

1. In the first picture you are showing teh wiring between the two hull halves. What are you gluing that mass to? I can't make it out from the picture.

2. What are the yellow spots on the primary hull? Does the thing have a case of space "Lurgies"?!

Still, looking nice!

Steady on, Captain!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2017, 07:33:19 pm »
@Steve, the eclipse was frakkin awesome!  If you have not experienced totality, do it.

The 'mass' was just some clear gorilla glue to seal up the bare wires.  They were just stuff in place before cementing the halves together.

The yellow spots were marks identifying flares and bright spots. 

Next up on the list: putty the gaps around the deflector, apply heating to align the warp nacelles (not parallel to saucer when viewed from the side), sand off aft part of saucer, prime and check for smoothness.

Enterprise © Bloc