Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2500 1701-D (Round 2 AMT)  (Read 2538 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: 1/2500 1701-D (Round 2 AMT)
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2017, 08:39:24 pm »
That's looking great, Scott!

Sweet!
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2017, 05:03:21 pm »
Arrrgh.  After fighting to get paint thinned correctly for the airbrush I determine that the nozzle is clogged and no amount of cleaning seems to fix it.  New nozzle, and a cleaning kit now on order.  Hmmph.  There are literally 2 square inches of painting needed.  Arrgh!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2017, 07:01:12 pm »
The new nozzle arrived and did prove that the fault was not solely my inability to mix/thin paint.

Final masks removed.  Now it's touch up, paint the chillers, and on to decals in a few days.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2017, 01:37:48 am »
How do you prevent the capillary action of paint from seeping underneath masking? Even at times when I think everything is just right, I still encounter problems. Other times it works out perfectly. It's maddening.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2017, 05:27:22 pm »
@Greg, maybe I'm just lucky, but I have not had issues with capillary action.  I have used rattle cans and now an airbrush, and if you keep the coats thin and go a little at a time, there isn't any fluid to get the capillary action started.  On the other hand, if you use a brush, there is no way to prevent it.

A little grey touch up tonight, then seal up and decals for the weekend!

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2017, 11:11:52 pm »
Yeah, I think that's my problem. Sometimes I probably don't build it up lightly and gradually enough.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2017, 05:49:06 pm »
@Greg, use rattle cans or light airbrushing and give the masks a shot.  Roger the maddeningness, but they can really deliver.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2017, 12:27:09 pm »
Painting complete and sealed under gloss.  Next up decals, and redoing the sensor strips with Tulip.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2017, 01:05:31 pm »
Scott, this is setting the gold standard for this size and subject, IMHO!

Sorry to hear about the AB issues. I've got some to sort out myself.

What are you going to do with the Tulip paint on the phaser strips? Inquiring minds want to know.

Keep up the excellent work!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2017, 06:39:13 pm »
@Steve, it is the sensor strips.  Try as I might the upper/lower saucer and upper/lower engineering did not seal up completely, meaning light leaks straight out.  This is partly due to my not realizing until late in the process that part of the gap was to simulate the sensor strip that is found in this seam...My solution to making the strip a different color, and to seal the light leaks, was to brush Tulip in the gap and then wipe off the excess.  With the kit gloss coated, no problem.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2017, 06:42:37 pm »
And here is the finished product.  I'm happy with just about everything.  The deflector is too dark, and the light blocking on the nacelles is a bit weak.  The hull plating turned out quite nice, the lighting is bright and masking of the phaser strips went pretty nicely.  The lifeboats from PNT were nearly flawless (snaps if you see the one weakness...) and went nicely with the other decals salvaged from the AMT kit--which handled very well.  When I take some glory pics this weekend I'll post the backstory that goes with the 1701-D from "Yesterday's Enterprise."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2017, 07:29:11 am »
Scott, this was/is an AWESOMELY OUTSTANDING build!

Thanks for the explanation, BTW. With this level of attention to detail, I wouldn't have guessed it was so small a scale. It really looks fabulous!

Very well done! A true testament to your prowess as a modeler!

What next?!

Steve

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2017, 05:46:44 pm »
Thanks Steve!

Enterprise © Bloc