Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Light Blocking Question...  (Read 341 times)

Offline osprey1111

• Ensign
A Light Blocking Question...
« on: June 09, 2017, 03:00:14 pm »
Hi everyone,
What's the best way to mask off the edges to be glued when spraying a light blocking coat of paint on the inside of the parts? Is there a trick to it?
Thanks!

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
Re: A Light Blocking Question...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 03:37:32 pm »
I normally don't mask the edges. I just light block it then sand the paint off of the edges.

Offline osprey1111

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 03:44:10 pm »
Thanks Macupar! I guess I'd have to be really careful not to sant too much...I usually have 2 coats of black and a third coat of white or silver. It could get  little thick on the edges.

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 04:35:58 pm »
What I will sometimes do it use nail-polish remover (or acetone) to remove the paint.  Dip a q-tip into it, and rub off the paint on the edges.

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline osprey1111

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 04:45:43 pm »
That sounds great! And the acetone doesn't soften the styrene? Thanks for your answer!

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 07:13:21 pm »
Ok, so I've never had an issue with that at all - but I think it's a concern depending on the styrene (from what some people say).  Nail polish remove (make sure it has acetone) is "watered" down a bit. So I would start with that.  For me, that's always worked except for one scenario.  In that one case, pure acetone worked fine and didn't melt the plastic.  Again, you're not submerging the kit in acetone, just dipping a q-tip and then rubbing it along the seams.  I've never had an issue with this method.  Good luck!

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Offline osprey1111

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 09:40:03 pm »
Thanks very much for the explanation Simi. I really appreciate it. I'll test out some nail polish remover with acetone on a sprue using a q-tip. I may even cut a few thinner slices off the sprue and test those too. That should give me a good indication of what to expect. Thanks for the good luck!
Steve

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 07:06:59 pm »
You can go to the craft store, Hobby Lobby or Michael's if you are in the US and get artist tape! It comes in many different thicknesses and makes it very easy to tape off the gluing edges! After you have done your light blocking just peel it off.
Works really good and you don't have to try cutting it to fit the edge!!

Offline osprey1111

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 07:37:37 pm »
Thank you AnythingSciFi! I'm in Canada but I should be able to find the artists tape here too. Much appreciated!

Offline Mstowell

• Admiral
  • Gort! Barenga!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 07:45:24 pm »
I've been using 3M vinyl pin striping tape.  Since it is vinyl, it can stretch around some curved shapes.
In the past I've gone the route of not masking edges and regretted it.  Takes longer to sand off paint, than it does to mask them.
Matt

Offline osprey1111

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 08:21:18 am »
Thanks Matt. Where do you find the vinyl pin striping? An automotive shop?

Offline Mstowell

• Admiral
  • Gort! Barenga!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 09:33:20 pm »
Thanks Matt. Where do you find the vinyl pin striping? An automotive shop?
I think I got mine of Amazon
Matt

Offline osprey1111

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 10:33:24 pm »
Thanks Matt, I'll check it out. Sometimes the Canadian Amazon site doesn't carry the same things as the US site but hopefully they will. Thanks again for the help. :D

Enterprise © Bloc