Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zvezda 1/2700 Star Destroyer  (Read 3504 times)

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
Zvezda 1/2700 Star Destroyer
« on: June 24, 2017, 04:45:47 am »
Howdy y'all.

I can't believe I have totally forgotten to start a WIP thread on this build. :-[

Anyhoo! The kit in questioned is the titular Imperial Star Destroyer as released by Zvezda in 1/2700 scale and this thing is huge.

This build is for a third auction in November following the success of last years Battlestar and the previous years Republic Star Destroyer so I want to do a top notch job on this one as I want the winning to bid to bust the bank so this build has got to be worth every penny raised.

Over the past few months I have been collecting various sizes of leds, resistors, heatshrink and wiring for the build so I had pretty much everything to hand prior to starting.

I am going to be using 0.5mm Fiber Optic cable for the windows and hopefully I have enough appropriately sized drills for the duration.

I have the Revell Germany release of this kit for myself and the only difference is that the Russian one comes with an in scale Tantive IV and the European release comes with paint and glue. I won't be using the paints but the glue has been added to the supply stash.

Everything on this kit is big and when completed it will be about 26 inches long and all goes well will look freakin' awesome.

The engines alone are 1 1/2 inches across.

I have decided to use 5mm bright white flat top leds for the three main engines and also the four hyperdrive thrusters and all seven have been wired, soldered and tested for 24hrs to see if they burned out (which they did'nt). I chose flat top leds (my first time using them) as the cone of light they throw out is 120degrees which will light up the engines nicely. They are straight forward leds and will not flicker or do anything fancy like that. I plan on having three circuits which will be the main lighting, the main engines and finally the hyperdrive engines but we'll see how that plan goes in the end.

As I research the ISD I noted that the windows are a distinct warm white so that will be easy to achieve and I have a new batch of 5mm warm white leds ready to go. The lighting is not overpowering and is quite subdued TBH so some experimenting with various resistors was warranted to get the effect I am after.

The lone red led as seen above is for some of the lights on the bridge.

Talking of which the bridge face was the first to undergo "Trial By Drill Bit" as I went to work getting the windows done. The bridge face on the kit is 4 1/2 inches across which once again goes to show the scale of this kit.

A total of 133 holes were then drilled and at first I did'nt think I would be able to get a fairly accurate rendering of the screen used bridge model (it alone was 4 feet across) but the wee holes coupled with the models size allowed me to do just that (I hope).

And the kit bridge.

Once I was happy with the bridge so far I put it to one side and went on to tackle the main hull section which come in four pieces with two each for the upper/lower hulls.

A good scrub in the bath and they were ready to be joined together in styrene matrimony.

I decided to use CA glue on the join initially and once that was cured a good coating of 5min epoxy was spread along the inner seam to further strenghten that joint.

There was a seam to be tackled where the two halves joined and once masked off with some painters tape Perfect Plastic Putty was applied, allowed to cure a bit then the excess was wiped off and voila'.

And there we have it so far on this build and I hope you like what you see so far.

Hopefully you will tag along for this latest journey of mine and any ideas, pointers, tips just send them on and they will be gratefully received.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:22:49 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Online Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
Re: Zvezda 1/2700 Star Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 08:07:10 am »
Nice one! You beat me to it. I have this kit and it is very nice. I also bought the Falcon 3D upgrade set to which includes engine bells, shield generators and garbage shut. The set is incredibly nice and looks nothing like 3D printing. Here's a link and some pics for you:

http://www.falcon3dparts.com/sd_upgrade/

It is so worth the money (which isn't actually too much really)
I'm looking forward to seeing you bring this to life
How are you going to light the hangar bay? It's the only feature of this kit that I don't like too much in so far as it is not separately molded

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:38:04 am »
Thanks Mad!

Those upgrade parts look sweet and I think I will get them when I build my own Revell Germany kit.

I got a garbage chute from Shapeways for this build and it is very nice indeed and like those parts you have does'nt look like it's 3D printed. I'll post up some pics further down the line.

I plan on using 0805 smd's to light up the docking bays and have bright white ones for that. I also have warm white 0805's for the accent lights along the side trenches. Going to have to attach another resistor to them to tone down the light a bit but I think I am going to enjoy this build.

The only thing I am not 100% sure of at this stage (around 99.9% sure) is where to place the mounting rod but I will probably put it through the reactor dome on the bottom.

I also plan on putting an acrylic mirror on the eventual oak base I will have made so the underside can be seen.

Thank you for those pics/details and I look forward to your build.
Iain

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 10:39:59 am »
Back again.

Just a quick wee update whilst I wait on tonight's din dins to be delivered.

You can see how big this kit is in the above two pictures and add another inch and a bit once I have the engines attached so whoever wins this in November will need some serious room to display her.

I finally decided that the mounting pole will be put through the underside reactor dome when the time comes. The dome has been CA'd into place and once again when that was cured a generous amount of 5min epoxy was applied. This joint above all needs to be extremely secure as all the weight of the kit will be on it. A piece of shaped wood will eventually be epoxied into place so the mounting rod can be safely secured.

Once all was cured some thin putty was applied along the join and that was then blended into place with some Mr Surfacer.

That's all for now.

I hope you are enjoying this WIP and the updates.
Iain

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 08:48:28 pm »
Nice work Iain! Have the Revell US version on pre-order for a July-ish release. Won't be tackling mine for quite a while, but I will be watching yours to pick up any additional tips I can. Like the use of 5-minute epoxy to reinforce the joints on the hull. Is that Tantive IV a resin or a styrene piece?
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 11:35:52 pm »
This looks like an interesting build to follow. 8)
For the fun of building art.

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 01:12:41 am »
Thanks guys!

For such a large kit it is suprisingly easy to put together as the part count is'nt sky high but those parts are large as you can expect.

The time consuming part will be the drilling for the fo window lights and the painting itself.

Dan - I have no idea what the Tantive is made of - it's quite a rubbery material to the touch and not hard styrene or resin.
Iain

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 01:54:58 am »
*Darth Vader Voice*

Impressive. Most impressive.

;)

I'll be watching this build for sure!
Phil

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 02:57:10 am »
Thanks Phil.

I reckon the actual build time won't be much more than a week at the most. I plan on building her in sections: upper hull, lower hull, main "island", engines then the bridge.

I already have some of the accent pieces in place which was a bonus TBH as it will be rather fiddly to drill the multitude of holes needed if the ship was in one or two pieces. I'll post of some more pics later on today.

There is a superb build on YouTube by "Bashing Kits" and I have been in contact for advice on the painting. It will also be the first time I will be using the "STYNYIREZ" primer, in this case the black so looking forward to seeing how that goes as I have heard great things about it.
Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 11:55:30 pm »
Looks like you're making quick work of this bad boy Iain....   lookin good too!
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 03:01:50 am »
Moving right along.

Started adding the side trenches to the main hull of the kit and like everything else on this build this parts are pretty big.

All parts have "mirror" image on the opposite side but even if you don't have instructions each part will only fit in one place and in one particular direction.

And here's were I noticed something. To hold the parts firmly whilst the glue cured I used clamps as I have done countless times. But I noticed that the clamps pulled up the accent pieces ever so slightly from the rest of the model. Thankfully the glue had'nt dried yet so I was able to gently tease those parts off, reglue them and used painters tape to hold them in place this time. This "lifting" only happened on the two large pieces to be attached. I used painters tape to hold some of the smaller pieces in place as sometimes it was a bit fiddly trying to get a clamp in there.

Once that was happy  wanted to have a look at the main docking bay. One complaint of this kit (apart from no garbage chute) is that the main hangar bay is not cast separately which would have made lighting a lot easier but where's the fun in that. :?

First of all out with the Dremel to sand down the large edges along the sides of the bay. This was done to allow easier access (on the inside) to those curved areas that are the light sources (on the outside) of the main hangar.

Not too sure where to go next at this point. I can carefully file/sand the light areas 'til the plastic is very thin which will allow easier cutting away of the curved areas. I can then pop in the smd's and use Krystal Klear to make "windows" for the lights (my preferred idea tbh). Or else I can drill an appropriate sized hole for the smd's and leave it at that. Will figure it out eventually.

Once the glue was cured (24hrs later) I removed all the clamps and tape and voila.

Then "Trial by Drill" commenced with the first couple of holes which I estimate will eventually become hundreds! :ung:

This stage of the build will be wash, rinse & repeat x a lot 'til all the windows are done and this is just the main hull.

There we have it so far. I hope you all like what you see.

Thanks for following along.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:10:40 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 05:22:38 am »
I should have said "Trial by Blister".

After the last update I went ahead and drilled some more holes in the side trench as can be seen.

There are more that can be seen as I need to clear away the drill residue. Unfortunately the plastic along the side walls is double the thickness of what there was when I drilled the bridge out as I am having to go through the accent pieces and the main body of the kit so my right palm is a mess of blisters and that was after drilling holes in an area about 1 1/2 inches square so there's no way my hand/palm will hold up drilling hundreds if not thousands of wee 0.5mm holes.

The build is sort of on hold, at least as far as drilling holes go until I can get a new Archimedes Drill that can take 0.5mm drill bits and that should be here by the weekend . There is still plenty more I can be getting on with but drilling is out at this time.

Damn! these blisters hurt. :oops:
Iain

Online Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 06:59:21 am »
nice work so far Iain - what sized fibers are you using? Are you using a pin vise to drill out the fiber holes?? And people say I'm mad.... one word: Dremel (or equivalent) and save your hands!
Seems to be a lot of discussion about whether or not the fibers should be 0.25 or 0.50. I don't know which one I'd go for - I was thinking 0.25 myself but may change my mind yet.
As for drilling, you may find it easier if you drill out the middle of the frames and then place the side walls against it ready for drilling. That way you have less plastic to drill through and less chances of breaking the bit as well

Looking forward to seeing more of this come together! Its such a nicely detailed ship isn't it? I reckon Zvezda did a great job on it
Thank goodness it wasn't done by Modelsvit is all I can say!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 07:05:53 am »
Iain, This is looking to be another of your awesome builds!

First, that is a BIG ship! 24" and change?! Grief!

What kind of stand do you plan for it, or have you thought that far?

Are you gonna put a wash on the hull to accent the lines?

This is gonna be good!!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 03:18:47 pm »
Thanks for the comments Steve.

As for the eventual stand it will be an oak base but I will attached an acrylic mirror to it so the underside can be seen. As for a wash at this point I won't be doing that but never say never although I am nowhere near starting to paint her yet

A quick footnote in that after 7hrs and a couple of burst blisters (s**t they hurt) the starboard side of the main superstructure has been finished and I gave up counting after the hole count got to 200.  :o

Small step first.

Then we get on with it big time.

Just got to clean up the gunk around some of the holes and we'll get started on the other side. Of course once I broke one drill bit the rest started falling like flies so I have ordered another 50 just to be on the safe side. Previous experience with this size of bit tells me I am erring on the optomistic side with that number.

Going to take a break tomorrow as it's Eleanor's birthday and got some decorating to do so should get back into this at the weekend.

Thanks for watching.
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc