Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zvezda 1/2700 Star Destroyer  (Read 1922 times)

Offline karve

• Admiral
Re: Zvezda 1/2700 Star Destroyer
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2017, 07:18:57 pm »
Looks amazing Iain!
  Your patience never ceases to amaze me. The results you're getting are top notch!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2017, 03:05:37 am »
Thanks Kevin.

Finally got around to finishing up that little island thingy on the upper hull that was causing so much grief so one is a rather happy bunny the noo!

It only took the better part of a week so here's hoping the other 1500 or so holes don't try to spoil the party.

Work has once again entailed poking a 0.5mm drill into the wee hole to clear out any accumulated paint to allow the FO strand to pass through easily or at least that's the plan. About 80% of the holes just won't allow the strand through so it entailed a lot of tedious work with a pair of tweezers gripping one end of the strand an literally forcing it through the hole until it either suddenly just slides easily through or else enough of the strand is seen on the other side so it can be gripped and pulled through. Either method works but like I said gets very tedious very quickly although the end result is worth it.

Because I started off on one side of the island a mistake was to epoxy those strands into place, wait 'til it cured and move on. The epoxy runs (rather like thick treacle) so whilst it cures it moves and some of the holes get covered so when it comes round to putting some FO in them I have to drill through cured epoxy as well and that stuff is a sod once cured and many a drill bit has met it's match in that stuff. Plan B was to put all the FO's in place and epoxy them en masse which had it's own problem as the strands kept falling out so I quickly decided to tape them down onto the hull as I went along.

This shows the first FO strands after being epoxied into place after the previous repair work on the island hump thingy.

And moving along - as I went round the island I just put done some masking tape/painters tape on the model to save it from being scratched if the drill bits slipped which they did regularly.

Once all the strands were in and epoxied into place I just gathered them up, wrapped a small length of insulating tape around the ends and strapped on a cable tie to that to stop them ever coming apart. The FO strands were then cut off leaving about 1 inch sticking out which is where the led light would be glued into place.

Next item on the agenda was to apply some tulip paint to the light box at either end to cut down on excessive light leaks.

And after all that and about a weeks work this is were we are now. The FO's just need to be trimmed and we will have a voila moment.

I hope you like what you see so far. Later on today I will start work on the main superstructure lighting and about 800 holes.:-X

Sanity is rapidly waining. :o
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:08:54 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2017, 08:49:32 am »
How do you plan to mate up the LED with the bundle of fiber?
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2017, 12:38:56 pm »
Work has continued on the model and I have started the windows on the main "island" superstructure on the upper hull and it is here that I came up against a problem (more annoying than problematic TBH) and my wee brain came up with a solution. More of that later.

As usual the FO work has entailed threading the strands through the pre-drilled holes and once a section had been completed - applying some epoxy and moving onto the next section.

Learning from a previous boo-boo I finished the section I was working on before applying the epoxy. I also have not attached the required led as it would just get in the way as I carry on with the FO work. With the attached leds it is like bending a piece of wire back and forth and it will eventually break so I have to be careful with those leds that are already in place. Once all the FO work on the upper hull is completed I will of course attach all the required leds.

On the inside I have just trimmed the FO strands leaving about an inch to play with and once again I have tied the strands up (about 50 in each bundle) with a short length of insulating tape and then secured the whole lot with a cable tie.

Next item on the agenda was to trim off all the excess FO on the outside with a new hobby knife blade ('til the tip broke) and I will no doubt spend months clearing up all the little FO pieces from the carpet once this build is finished.

I just need to touch up some little areas where the paint was scratched and TBH you would'nt notice even if I pointed it out but I know they are there.

Now! As I have'nt got the leds mounted the next two pics are just the model held up to my work light and so far so good methinks.

Working on thsi section took two days as once again the FO strands decided to play silly buggers and really got annoying very fast as some FO got bent and wasted even though they are the same diameter as the holes I have been putting them into. I still have over 1000 holes to put FO into so this is going to take forever and a day so I have ordered up some 0.55mm drill bits to open up the pre-drilled holes and hopefully that extra 0.05mm of the drill bit will allow the FO strands into the holes a lot easier but I won't know for sure 'til the bits arrive later on this week. If my idea does work I will get all the windows done in record time and can then concentrating on any necessary touch up work. I will keep you posted as to how it goes.

As always thanks for all your comments and I hope that you like what you see so far.
Iain

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2017, 06:29:24 pm »
Man, that is a lot of fiber optic strands! Looks good!

I found videos of a guy that used the same technique as you on the preshading and using the pencil lines!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2017, 11:37:43 am »
Thanks guys.

Scott - the bundles of FO's will be slipped into a 6mm brass tube which has a 5mm led glued to one end and the light will get transmitted along the fibers.

ASF - It was Ant of Bashing Kits/You Tube where I got the idea from and he was extremely helpful with the painting.
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc