Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zvezda 1/2700 Star Destroyer  (Read 3653 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: Zvezda 1/2700 Star Destroyer
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2017, 02:53:06 am »
Photobucket be damned!

All hail Imgur ('til they start charging! ::)) and this should work now. ;D

Got totally fed up with PB so now on Imgur. In between getting a s**t load of decorating done which I have put off for years I have managed to get some work done on the big girl. Much of the work has centered around the main "island" superstructure and once again I have been suprised at the fit and quality of these parts with very little seam work required as most just disappear once the parts are glued together.

First up to bat was to finish off the main hull by attaching the accent pieces now that all the side trenches (on that part anyway) have been installed.

This lower "island" is pretty well done and dusted now in the overall build but there are a few more things to do before the model is ready for auction.

Next on the agenda was the upper "island" and a suprisingly amount of parts went into putting this section together with a total of 10 parts coming together in styrene matrimony.

As can be seen above I decided against the use of clamps to hold the parts together as the glue cured and I have more than enough painters tape left over from all the house decorating. Once the glue was cured the underside of the section was given a light blocking coat of matt black (courtesy of the local Halfords).

And although not really necessary in this build once the black was dried I gave the section a coat of white primer.

And to finish off a quick dry run to have a look at how the kit is coming together.

I still have a long, long way to go but I hope you all like what you see so far.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:33:19 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2017, 09:03:16 am »
Much better Iain!! Looking fantastic!

I need to find better drill bits. I use circuit board drill bits for most of my jobs. But, I have noticed that
lately the ones I get are more brittle! Where are you getting yours and are you breaking a bunch or a
few?

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2017, 09:55:34 am »
Thanks Kenny!

I get my drill bits from China and break quite a few but I have noticed that if the drill bit is long it lasts a lot longer than if you keep the bit short (hope that made sense).
Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2017, 10:06:07 am »
You're making a lot of progress Iain....  Looking good

I've been having problems viewing PB images around these parts lately too, but today I can suddenly see your work again.

Also started having issues viewing YouTubes a while back... need to find a replacement for Flash?
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2017, 02:42:34 pm »
I get my tiny bits from CMLsupply.  Decent quality and not expensive.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2017, 06:38:14 pm »
Looking great Iain! The only concern for me is that I have no idea where to display it once it's completed. I know you have voiced similar concerns from time to time. Didn't stop me from ordering one though. ;D Supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

I know what you mean about the drill bits length. The further back in the chuck, the shorter the exposed bit. I've always thought the opposite, that the shorter the bit length the less breakage frequency. Whatever works best though, right?

@scottminium, CMLsupply? Is that an internet or an eBay seller?
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2017, 09:13:22 am »
@Pakratt, www.cmlsupply.com, worth checking out.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2017, 10:25:28 am »
@Pakratt, www.cmlsupply.com, worth checking out.

Thanks! Will check them out.
Dan

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2017, 03:23:37 pm »
Me again.

Just a quick update in that the first section has been completed (ie:- glued together) and the relevant window holes have been drilled (310 of them and I counted every one! :o).

This is the "upper" island that will sit below the bridge (once I get around to that bit!).

This will be the section that will be painted first as it is basically going to be the test bed for the painting scheme I have in mind and if it works as well as I hope it will the rest of the kit will follow on. But first it will be primed, pre-shaded, attacked with a 5H pencil, a wash applied and then the dullcote. The rest of the painting rests on this bit so I want to take my time getting it right.

Once it was all put together a black light blocking coat was applied on the inside and once that was dry a white coat was applied, in this case just to make future steps easier to see and plan ie:- placing of leds and FO strands will be much easier on a white background than a black one. You can see some of the aforementioned wee holes in this one. Once the top coat has been done and all the effects applied I will no doubt have to go round most of the holes to clear them out of paint and gunk hence the white coat making them easier to see.

Apart from that I have started work on the lower hull and the raised areas on that section in which there are five and to try and get all the windows at least level to one another (that was fun!) I drew a thin line around each area and proceeded to drill the required windows holes along that line which will make the end result so much better and more uniform

That's it for this quick update and I plan on having started to paint that upper island section at the weekend to let you all see how it's going so far.

Thanks for watching and for all your comments.
Iain

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2017, 07:08:40 pm »
I drew a thin line around each area and proceeded to drill the required windows holes along that line which will make the end result so much better and more uniform

A model builder's version of a construction worker's chalk line. Nice!
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 07:25:26 am »
I drew a thin line around each area and proceeded to drill the required windows holes along that line which will make the end result so much better and more uniform

A model builder's version of a construction worker's chalk line. Nice!

Excellent Thinking, Iain! I WILL use that technique! Thanks for sharing!

The build is looking great! Keep at it!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2017, 03:04:13 am »
Thank god I swapped over to Imgur and saved all previous pics of this build.

If anyone wants to see previous pictures let me know and I'll post them up but finished with PB for good now. :D

Anyhoo!On with the show and another milestone has been reached and the primer coat has been laid down on the major parts and for anyone reading this I can highly recommend "Stynyirez Surface Primer" as it is awesome stuff.

Self levelling and is just so easy to use. Comes in black, white and grey and a little goes a long way. I chose the black for this build as it will allow me to try out a technique which should make the model look like it is actually built from separate panels and not just one big lump of white.

That primer does'nt smell which is a bonus and all goes well I will start the epic painting journey on this kit sometime today and with any luck you'll like where we are going with this build.

Catch you later folks.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:28:50 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2017, 05:40:14 pm »
Back again!

I got some more work done on the kit today in that I had a chance to try out a painting technique a modeller on You Tube showcased for a kit of this scale and it has worked extremely well.

What was done was to tape off half the section I was working on.

Next out with the airbrush and using a post-it (turned over on the sticky bit) I painted a random series of lines going in both directions.

Once that was done I mottled the area slightly and filled out some of the areas that the dissecting lines made and the final step was to mist over that area with the flat white to blend it all in and break up the harsh lines. Unfortunately I could'nt get a decent picture of how it looks at this point but hopefully you will be able to make out what I am going on about.

Slowly but surely getting there. :D
Iain

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2017, 09:20:39 pm »
Excellent work on the hull plates! Really adds depth and detail!
Phil

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2017, 03:24:25 pm »
Excellent airbrush work there Iain!

The results look awesome!

"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Enterprise © Bloc