Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shipping a 1:350 scale enterprise  (Read 246 times)

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
Shipping a 1:350 scale enterprise
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:35:37 pm »
I have someone that is interested in having me build a 1:350 TOS enterprise. They live on the other side of the country so I was wondering if anyone on here has shipped that size of ship, what process do they use so the ship arrives in one piece.

Thanks!

Mike

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
Re: Shipping a 1:350 scale enterprise
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 05:52:31 am »
I'm familiar with inter-ship beaming, but not beaming an entire star ship......

Guess you'll be filling a large double box with peanuts or ping-pong balls?
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:51:08 am »
Mike,

I have never shipped a model before, but having lived overseas, on either side of the North American continent, I have learned a thing or two about shipping to and from the states.

First, UPS has packing services available. But, having said that, the skill of the packer is usually not that good.

Second, if you are going to pack it yourself, don't pack the item too tightly. Create a "bed" of of peanuts in the bottom of the box and then place the model in the bed, then fill in the rest of the box with the remaining peanuts. The ship should sit snuggly, not firmly, not totally restricting movement, in the box.

Speaking of the box, make sure you pick a box that has fairly thick walls and allows at least 3 - 4" from any side of the model so that, even if it get jostled, it will have some cushion from impact.

Double boxing, with maybe bubble wrap around the first box, might be a good idea.

Over all of that, buy some very good insurance, enough to cover replacement of the model, any lighting systems, base, and aftermarket parts. This is in the event that UPS/USPS/FEDEX or whomever, breaks, damages or loses your package. You can also buy tracking service for the package and request/require signatures for handover or delivery.

Most things I have shipped have arrived in very good condition without any damage; despite videos and blogs about the unfortunate treatment of packages.

I hope this helps!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:22:50 am »
Thanks. I just remember when Boyd shipped out a Space Battleship Yamato to someone and it arrived shattered. if I remember correctly, he had insurance on it but the shipping company refused to payout because they did not believe it was worth that much. I don't remember which company it was.

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 02:40:49 pm »
Well, something else you need to consider when shipping a package like that overseas is customs!

I used to build for others and built a Reliant for a customer in Sussex! Customs opened the package and thought they needed to inspect it thoroughly. So they proceeded to break the model apart. When it arrived to my customer it was a mess. He sent me pictures and it was a nightmare. He sent the model back to me and I repaired it and sent it again. Customs once again opened the shipment but this time they did not destroy it!

So, before you commit yourself to the contract keep the Reliant story in mind!

Enterprise © Bloc