Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dons Light and Magic  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
Dons Light and Magic
« on: June 30, 2017, 07:13:51 am »
Has anyone had any luck with DLM recently?

I ordered some parts in late May. Didn't hear anything for a while. Emailed him at the beginning of June. He said that he would be making new parts to replenish his inventory in a day or so. Then I heard nothing for whole month... no shipping date, no updates.
I sent him an email three days ago asking what was going on and still no reply. I found this strange because he replied to my first email within an hour...

I was just wondering if anyone has actually gotten any parts out of the man recently and if I should be starting to think about going to PayPal to get my money back.

I get that running a business out of a garage means that next day shipping isn't going to happen on orders, but almost two months is completely unreasonable i think.
Phil

Offline gal8150

• Lieutenant
Re: Dons Light and Magic
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 02:42:38 pm »
In the same exact boat.  Ordered mid-May, but still waiting on my Ent-D masks.  Emailed him, he replied shortly after saying he'd have them shipped within 48 hours. That was over 2 weeks ago.  Idle sits my Ent-D build  :(

So many builders having supplier issues these days...this hobby is definitely becoming the long game.

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 12:18:12 am »
Hmmmm.

Ok. I sent him another email yesterday and. No response yet. I will send him a third email this weekend I think. If he doesn't respond by sometime during next week then I will probably initiate a dispute through paypal to get my money back.

I really don't want to do this but if he won't respond or ship the items I already paid for two months ago I feel like I don't have a choice.

I only ordered the replacement enterprise D clear engine parts so it's only like $20, but I'm starting to get annoyed.
Phil

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 05:58:57 pm »
This really sounds very differerent than my past experiences with DLM a couple years ago.  Unfortunately, if someone doesnt ship a paypal order in a timely manner, they force the dispute process because of the time limit.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 03:27:50 am »
I've been trying to get ahold of Don for about 4 mths now to order some parts but no response at all. :(

He's usually spot on with customer service as well.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:03:09 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 06:58:39 pm »
Too bad. I had been thinking about getting some stuff for my 1/537 Refit, but if multiple people are not receiving orders or not getting replies to emails, then I'd be afraid to risk placing an order.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 10:39:11 am »
I too ordered some parts weeks ago and haven't received them or gotten any emails.  I called and he did answer the phone but sounded a little irritated that I called.  Since it was only a couple days after I placed the order I didn't expect them to be shipped yet, I just wanted to confirm the order went through- Pay Pal took the money but I didn't get any confirmation email that he knew about the order.  He said he saw the order and said it's 'like a bakery or assembly line', when he makes the part he ships it in the order received.

I read his message on the first page and really don't want to see him close shop, but this doesn't bode well.  Personally,  I'd have one or two of each part in stock and THEN start pouring new parts to replace those once an order is placed, but that's just me.  I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt because I totally understand how life can jump up and bite you in the butt and interfere with things.  It sounds like others have been having some problems for awhile now.  It's a shame because I was planning on ordering a bunch of things after I got my first order to see what the quality is like.

Not surprised to hear you say he sounded a little irritated. It seems he can be a bit prickly at times when inquiries are made. I sent an email to him about placing an order after he posted that message on his site. Just wanted to know if he was still taking orders. His reply was that he was still taking orders, but he didn't like all the rumors about him closing or not that were floating around on the forums. I've got parts from him on a few occassions, and the quality has been terrific.

I get what you're saying about having a small inventory, but if he is in fact going to close up shop at the end of the year, or even contemplating it, it makes sense to not have extra parts lying around that may never be purchased. I also hope he continues to provide these parts, because no one else has the variety for the prices he charges.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 12:17:06 pm »
I hope he stays open for another couple of months as I need the Runabout parts and some parts for my 1/537 Enterprise (only need the deflector housing from the big kit he sells and the flux grills). I have emailed several times with a query but never got a reply! :(
Iain

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 02:09:01 pm »
Well, I can see it would be hard to keep it going with everyone and their uncle having their own personal 3D printer at the ready!!

Offline Ghostdog0002

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 05:22:33 pm »
Man wish I had seen this a couple days ago I just ordered $200 worth of parts from him.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 08:00:45 pm »
[q
That's an easy fix- if he is indeed closing, then when inventory is out on an item just update the website and mark the item as out of stock and discontinued.

Actually, Don has been REALLY good about that in the past.  I actually managed to order an item that he had marked out of stock the previous day and he called me personally to try to see how it was possible (it was in my "shopping cart" from 4 days prior and I checked out after he marked the item unavailable).

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 05:32:35 pm »
So I gave up on waiting for him to reply by email and I decided to give him a call (701-235-3186)

He told me, again, that he needed to cast more of the parts I ordered and that it would take a couple days. (the exact same thing he said to me via email weeks ago...)

He seemed like a nice enough guy (if a little excentric). He told me that my parts should ship by early next week. I will give you an update next week.
Phil

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 02:27:52 am »
Looking forward to an update Tiburon.

Just waiting to hear back from him to see if I can order the 1/537 deflector housing on it's own.
Iain

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 10:52:22 pm »
If/when you ever receive your parts, open the package outside because the interior reeks of cigarette smoke.

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 12:28:06 am »
Expect about 2 months to receive your stuff. Don't worry until it's after 10 weeks. I made an order on March 1st and I received it in May. I never bothered him and I got it just fine. All I can say is that if you're on the fence, place an order now because if this is his last year, you'll have lost your chance. I put in an order in March after learning that he may be calling it quits.

Enterprise © Bloc