Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dons Light and Magic  (Read 758 times)

Offline RADIATION_STORM

• Commander
Re: Dons Light and Magic
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 03:34:41 pm »
last year i ordered 450 worth of stuff after 2 mths i wrote and asked where the Fk IS MY STUFF  he did answer . I was the one who posted last years  notice on here   he was retiring. i do have a few more items i wish to order I have no desire to wait for a reply in 3 mths if he  decides to so yesterday  i wrote this to him

Are you still making stuff or are you done   ?

I do have some more  things i wish to be made  but  people on scfi action model forum  are freaking out as many have not heard anything or  received their  products.

As i am the one responsible of informing them of your notice last year of packing it in.

As i am probably as old as you or older   it  does not take much effort to inform customers

of progress.

most are talking of refunds on paypal    FYI.

Last years order :
2 Defiant sets
2 Starfury deluxe sets
1 Voyager
1 Marquis
1 set of inboard  outboard  Nacelle chillers   Reliant
1 Vulcan shuttle
1 Enterprise D masks

Being Canadian  that causes the  price to be that high.

So maybe  he will now respond to at least one person on  here in the verytnear future

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 12:17:57 am »
Update!

I just got an email today saying that my package has shipped!

I'm glad he finally sent it. He did however send it MUCH later than he told me in email and on the phone. I guess it was good advice to just wait for him to send it in his own sweet time.

I'll post a photo of the parts when they arrive. Hopefully the quality of the parts is better than his customer service.
Phil

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 10:21:12 am »
Well, like anyone, if you piss someone off by aggressive emails and a constant barrage then you will get little to no reply!

I have dealt with Don for a long time and I have had NO issues with him. He even went as far as to contact ME because I had placed an order for 2 of the same thing (Voyager Sets) to see if that is what I wanted instead of just filling the order!! Is he slow about filling orders? Yes, but he still fills the order!
So, what we need to keep in mind here is now that we know he is slow filling orders, order the parts you are gonna need well in advance of the construction date!!

I firmly believe that when he decides to retire he will start to block orders on items or remove them from his page!

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 02:31:59 pm »
I will say that I've ordered from Don and everything eventually showed up and worked out great. THAT SAID, communication is key in any business and there is no excuse for taking someone's order and not replying for weeks. A simple email that takes 2 minutes saying "Thanks for your order, it may be a few weeks before I cast the parts I'll follow up with you by DATE" would solve 99% of all the negative comments.

I get that suppliers get frustrated by nagging customers but I stand by taking a few minutes upfront can save hours of headaches later.
-Dave

Offline orbital_drydock

• Commander
    • Orbital Drydock
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 11:15:46 pm »
I have a feeling it won't be long before PayPal cancels his account due to complaints, and at that point he'll probably just close up shop.  It's a shame, but from my experience he brought it on himself.

It WOULD be a shame if he had to close. Then who would any of you get parts from. Hey maybe all of the aftermarket folks should just close. That sounds like an even better idea! Then everyone can go back to scratch building!! I love it folks get on here & rant & rave. Without even the slightest consideration that if Don did have to close or finally got tired of dealing with individuals. You have nowhere to get parts!
Unless someone has actually ripped you off, leave them alone & be patient. You have no idea what they may be dealing with!

WHERE WOULD YOU GET YOUR PARTS?!?!?
THERE... ARE... FOUR... LIGHTS!!!

https://orbitaldrydock.com

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 08:34:33 am »
Thank you for your comments Orbital DryDock.

I do not believe that anyone in this thread mentioned any issues with the quality of the product they received. Don has in fact got a reputation of creating quality products that a hard if not impossible to get anywhere else. I believe that most people (myself included) have issues with the poor customer service that Don has displayed.

When I order parts, I don't mind waiting two months for quality product. But I DO have issue with no shipping estimate, and not getting a response from someone who already has my money.

I understand that conversing with customers can be tiresome and a major time suck. However it is a necessary part of doing business. When the people in the market you serve are obviously part of such a tight knit social group that talk about such things like this, experiences with vendors spread. The good, and the bad.

Word about poor customer service gets around. As does word about good customer service. We can be an extremely powerful tool for you to use to increase your sales.

I know that when I was just starting out in this hobby I was reading WIP threads like crazy and using them to get ideas about which suppliers to use for parts. I saw great things about Tenacontrols, Orbital DryDock and DLM. Which influenced where I eventually spent my money. And when I receive positive customer service and quality product for any of my builds I make sure to include those experiences in my own build logs.

So please, use us to grow your sales. I don't think anyone here wants any aftermarket suppliers to fail.

Better customer service/products = better reviews = more sales.

Phil

Offline orbital_drydock

• Commander
    • Orbital Drydock
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 10:45:59 am »
I have a feeling it won't be long before PayPal cancels his account due to complaints, and at that point he'll probably just close up shop.  It's a shame, but from my experience he brought it on himself.

It WOULD be a shame if he had to close. Then who would any of you get parts from. Hey maybe all of the aftermarket folks should just close. That sounds like an even better idea! Then everyone can go back to scratch building!! I love it folks get on here & rant & rave. Without even the slightest consideration that if Don did have to close or finally got tired of dealing with individuals. You have nowhere to get parts!
Unless someone has actually ripped you off, leave them alone & be patient. You have no idea what they may be dealing with!

WHERE WOULD YOU GET YOUR PARTS?!?!?
I can understand your stance on defending a fellow business person, but I am not sure I understand your meaning.  Are you defending Don and this type of behavior?  Are we supposed to accept a person taking an order, taking our money, and then never hearing anything from them?  I'm not sure what your point is by berating those of us that are having a bad experience with this particular vendor.

Again what is your suggestion?  I would think you should be more angry at him because it does tarnish the image of independent small businesses like you also have.

While I understand your point & believe your methods are altruistic. There's something I don't think many people realize. When there is a reputable dealer who has great products & does eventually get the orders out, even though they may be regularly late. We are not amazon, we are usually one person with no outside help of any kind. Yes, we get behind, orders get late, we do grow tired of emails. Yet we still provide top notch products.

Here's what I feel people really aren't recognizing. Like I said this seems like an altruistic thing, you want to know where your order is. Here's the reality of what these threads do. They destroy the sales of that vendor for weeks to months. Then it becomes impossible to make new products until new orders come in. Why because now there is no capital at all.

My suggestion, stop taking these things to public forums. It does not motivate the vendors to get your order out. It destroys their sales & reputation for being able to deliver products at all. Then they do go out of business. Deal with them directly only & only through paypal. If you are unhappy, file a claim & get your money back. This is an issue between you & a vendor. Not an entire forum.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 07:23:30 pm »
My suggestion, stop taking these things to public forums. It does not motivate the vendors to get your order out. It destroys their sales & reputation for being able to deliver products at all. Then they do go out of business. Deal with them directly only & only through paypal. If you are unhappy, file a claim & get your money back. This is an issue between you & a vendor. Not an entire forum.

Honestly, I'm not sure how this is all that different from having Paypal contact Don and tell him a refund has been processed because of a dispute. That in itself is also going to be demoralizing to the vendor.

Also, part of running a business is responding to customers in a timely manner. If I'd gone months without hearing a peep about an order I'd placed, even a "I've got it and will work on it at this date", particularly if I didn't get it voluntarily, I'd be upset. Possibly not upset enough to post, but that's only because I'd be ordering from him with the known risk that he'd be spectactularly uncommunicative as has been noted by others. And I have ordered stuff with the expectation that I wouldn't see it for months.

And while your sarcasm has been noted, please note that I'm also rating it as slightly unprofessional. I understand why you're jumping to Don's defense, but you might need to examine if you're being biased because you're in the business as well. Plus, it is his business, not yours. All in all, it does make me less inclined to purchase from you as well, truth be told. Make of that what you will.

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 09:57:27 pm »

I support this 100%. No good will come of a thread like this!

Offline orbital_drydock

• Commander
    • Orbital Drydock
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 11:28:30 pm »

Honestly, I'm not sure how this is all that different from having Paypal contact Don and tell him a refund has been processed because of a dispute. That in itself is also going to be demoralizing to the vendor.

Also, part of running a business is responding to customers in a timely manner. If I'd gone months without hearing a peep about an order I'd placed, even a "I've got it and will work on it at this date", particularly if I didn't get it voluntarily, I'd be upset. Possibly not upset enough to post, but that's only because I'd be ordering from him with the known risk that he'd be spectactularly uncommunicative as has been noted by others. And I have ordered stuff with the expectation that I wouldn't see it for months.

And while your sarcasm has been noted, please note that I'm also rating it as slightly unprofessional. I understand why you're jumping to Don's defense, but you might need to examine if you're being biased because you're in the business as well. Plus, it is his business, not yours. All in all, it does make me less inclined to purchase from you as well, truth be told. Make of that what you will.

Because when personal business matters are brought out in public like this. It causes more damage to the persons business, making them more likely to fail. If that is what people want, by all means continue posting about late orders(no sarcasm). When someone files a paypal claim, they get their money back, no drama, no damage financially or personally, end of story.

When there is so much info about Don being late, though always delivering the best. What purpose does a thread like this serve? Seriously, what is the point?

Also I wasn't being sarcastic in my first post. I was being dead serious. I'm way past biased, I'm full bore all in. I'm tired of folks dragging names through the mud. Especially when you don't know what they are dealing with.

If you have actually been ripped off. Then post about a thief. Threads like this are only about venting ones frustration with another publicly. They serve no purpose other then starting drama. I cannot find one useful piece of information in this entire thread, except be patient he does deliver. Act however you want folks it's your life & your choices.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:39:42 pm by orbital_drydock »

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 03:18:32 am »
As the moderator of this forum, threads like this are a tough call. On one hand the very nature of forums are for communication
between fellow's with questions and solutions, project progress reports, product and kit news etc. On the other hand threads about
issues dealing with a bad business experience often lead to people jumping in on one side or the other to express their opinions.

Things can start to escalate from there and begin to detract from the main focus of a forum like this which is meant to be used as a platform for positive interaction. Since most of the points have been made in this topic and it now seems to be headed toward
redundancy, I'm going to lock it down. I want to be clear that nobody was wrong here in discussing the issue. How else can one be informed of a parts vendor situation and be able to make a decision based on the history of others experiences? At the same time it's not good for a vendor to have to deal with these kind of things through a public forum either. It's a Kobiashi Maru situation at best. 

I would just ask that in the future we all realize that there are many sides to these things and that we shouldn't become too quick to
judge them or others here who's opinions may defer from your own on the subject and not to take it personal when it happens.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:20:51 am by TrekWorks »
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Enterprise © Bloc