Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A naked Dragonfly...  (Read 975 times)

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
A naked Dragonfly...
« on: July 07, 2017, 09:17:05 pm »
Hi guy,

No, it's not quite as weird as it sound - it's just me starting yet another project. 
It's the Industria Mechanika 1/35 Dragonfly resin kit. It's really nicely molded and is easy enough for a simpleton like me to put together. There's a lot of really nice detail in the form of gears and cogs here and there, rivets and a beautifully crafted pilot figure which I won't be able to do justice too. You don't get a billion parts which is great too.You get laser cut clear inserts for the PE wing frames to sandwich and the PE frets have a lot of additional details you can add to for rigging etc.
It builds up to a decent size too and spanning about 35cm or so I think.

I have what I think is a cool scheme in mind for this by combing metal and wood using wood decals for the main body segments so I end up with something similar to a naked Mig-3

So, what do you get for your money? Have a squiz:

The parts have been primed and are currently drying.

Well, that's enough for now so thanks for looking

Si
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:00:31 am by Madhatter »

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: A naked Dragonfly...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 03:05:31 am »
Ya beauty!

I so want one of these kits so going to be glued to your build for sure. :)
Iain

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:33:36 am »
Yeah, I haven't seen very many of these online - maybe 4 at the most. It's just something that bit different to your mainstream Sci-Fi
So, what can I say - there isn't much to put together here so it's painting up first.
I masked off the wood section and will use the tape as a template for the wood decal sheets
The paint is all Alclad for the moment
Sorry for the average photos - its night time here and Ive blown my white bulb so the temperature is all skew whiff, but you get the idea

I do apologise again for the above pictures - they don't really show the colours and need to be taken in daylight

thanks for indulging me

Si

Offline jmilesmusicman

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:17:58 pm »
Howdy Madhatter,

Wow, what an interesting and unusual kit. Any pics of what the "finished project" will look like? Having a hard time putting it together in my mind from the beautifully painted parts.

Cheers!
Start where you are.
Use what you have.
Do what you can.

Anonymous

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 03:39:04 am »
hello :)

This is what it looks like done:

http://industriamechanika.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/fichtenfoo-dragonfly-finals/fichtenfoo-im-dragonfly-12.jpg

its coming along slowly - I have to repaint the metal though unfortunately thanks to some masking tape but that's OK - it'll be easy enough

I will be updating this again soon
Si

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 09:33:30 pm »
small update. I finally found some time today to take some (hopefully) better pictures.
I have decided to repaint the metal as I was having issues with the paint lifting off (despite all the usual precautions like priming, clear coat etc)
For whatever reason, the Tamiya masking tape was just peeling it off in chunks. This isn't such a bad thing as it has left me trying something else.
I found a heap of left over PE from my BR-52 and seeing as it's all in the same scale, I may as well add some extra detail to places like the cockpit and the mechanical area. I wont go overboard though. Just a little bit

I love all the little details in this kit like the cogs and so on.

I'm going to start making the legs soon but I have to decide now how I am going to display this. I was pondering the idea of having it sit on a wooden landing pad. I have left over balsa sheet I could use for making planks but I'd have to go buy some for the frame. Or do I make it in-flight -- which would mean I would have to make and paint the pilot figure and I'll be honest - I can't paint figures for squat.

Ah well - first world problems hey. Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 02:22:00 am »
Took a quick pic of the main mechanical body and I am pretty happy with how it's coming along. I have added a light wash and created oil stains

I have also finished respraying the metal on the main body and once its fully cured, I'll be adding the wooden decals. I'm keen to see if it comes out as I have it in my head.

thanks for looking

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 12:57:11 pm »
WOW!

I am SOOOO envious of your metallic painting skill, Madhatter! I would have sworn it was really made of metal!

Love the green eyes and the effects! Superb!

Is this a steampunk design? Outstanding build!

Keep 'er going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 07:40:13 am »
yeah, I guess it would be classed as steampunk. I'm not really into that genre so to speak, but I did like this particular design. I also like his Deaths Head Moth, but I couldn't afford both at the time. I wouldn't mind his Drone Sniper either for that matter...

I took a couple of quick pics of where I am currently up to.
I attached the metal parts to the main body with CA and a piece of brass tube through the middle to pin it together.
The rear end has been attached and I added seat belts, a gear lever of some kind made of brass rod and a bead of solder for the knob, and threw in a couple of steam valves for giggles. I also added some cut mesh for the floor and a step from a BR52 for a pedal that does .... something.
I'm also trying to put on the windscreen - but it is being very difficult at present, so it's sitting there waiting for the body to fully cure.
I also put together a wing to see how hard it would be and it turned out to be easier than I thought, so I'll keep on with those

so, here's where it sits currently:

Well, that's it for now. The wife and son arrive back on Saturday, so progress will undoubtedly slow down a bit. Thanks for looking
Si

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 07:12:29 am »
quick update - it has legs! I'll try to take some better shots on Wednesday when I have my RDO.

I realise this isn't exactly ST or SW etc and is something a little bit .... outside the general theme of this site, but at least you get to see something different.
Not far from the end now - I promise :)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 07:26:53 am »
Looking Good, Hatter!

How did you achieve the brown look on the abdomen? It looks marbled. Decal?

Whatever you did, it looks very cool!

Press on!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 07:29:16 am »
Thanks Steve
The brown stuff is meant to represent wood and the marbling as such is a wood grain decal I got from Germany. The decals are very nice and conform beautifully. I got them originally for a naked Mig-3 but I haven't got that far yet :)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 07:35:52 am »
Hey, Hatter, now I see the woodgrain! Nice!

I have never used Alclad paint - how do you find it to work with? Easy? Difficult? Curious.

Keep going! This looks awesome!

Steve

Offline jmilesmusicman

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 05:20:55 pm »
 :o

Some great work here. Loving the scratch details and the metallizing.

Really nice to see something this different here! I mean, I love Star Trek and Star Wars, don't get me wrong, but this is really nice!

Thanks for sharing!
Start where you are.
Use what you have.
Do what you can.

Anonymous

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 09:30:58 pm »
Thanks guys - I'm glad at least 2 people seem to not mind something not ST or SW :)
BTW - Alclad is awesome to work with - smelly but good. It sprays beautifully

I had today off, so while the sun is out (well, sought of - it  keeps disappearing behind the clouds and reappearing for a brief minute), I took a few quick snaps which are better than the ones I took on Sunday night

The head is attached and is secured in place with a piece of brass rod. The wings are done and ready to go on - I just need to get the leg rigging on first. I have lost a piece of PE which was a guide for the topside rigging. I will have to make do without it

I still have a few things to tidy up as you can see but these items won't take too long. I am going to try get some rigging done this afternoon

As always, thanks for looking

Si

Enterprise © Bloc