Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A naked Dragonfly...  (Read 384 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: A naked Dragonfly...
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 07:30:15 am »
Si, this is looking better with every post!

Thanks guys - I'm glad at least 2 people seem to not mind something not ST or SW :)
BTW - Alclad is awesome to work with - smelly but good. It sprays beautifully

Yeah, it's SciFimodelaction - room for all SciFi builds; IMHO. Unfortunately, most Mainstream model makers can only afford to market what sells and ST and SW do, so... I, myself, am working my way through my ST stash - even the parody of ST (i.e. Galaxy Quest), so guilty as charged. But I do enjoy many other generas -if only vicariously! :)

BTW, speaking about off the mainstream, have you heard of, or read, a SciFi book series called "Under the Green Star" by Lin Carter? It is in a similar vein of SciFi like E.R. Burroughs and is very good. What brings it to mind is that the main character describes a society that uses dragonfly type creatures as cavalry mounts; the cover of the first book features a painting of a typical mount. Your build reminds me of this factoid and I think it wouldn't have been too far of a stretch for the author to say the natural creatures had died off and the society now uses mechanized substitutes very much like your build!

So awesome!

Keep going and keep posting!

Steve

"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 06:15:37 am »
I aim to do different subjects, but don't get me wrong, I still like my SW and SBY 2199 subjects and I have a clear Enterprise D to make yet for my Mother (who is a big Trek fan). I have the Zvezda SD and Anigrand MC-80 to do yet as well as another Venator which I will finish one day, but I am enjoying the odd ball subjects for now. My poor QM2 has stalled and I need to find some more lovin' for it to get it over the line

No I hadn't heard of that series but I will have to have a look for it as it sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the heads up on that Steve as I like a good read!

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 10:23:47 pm »
Work continues now with the base under way and not far from completion.
Just needs some paint and somewhere to house a battery, plus a little ground work before it's done. I haven't added the wings yet and they will be the last thing to go on

As always, thanks for looking
Si
« Last Edit: Today at 07:00:02 am by Madhatter »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 07:19:58 am »
Si, I dunno what to say! This looks Beawesome!!

I love the wood detail you've done on the platform. Too kewl!

I was gonna suggest you could hide the battery under the platform, but it looks like you've already done!

Quick question - what are the brass tubes running up from the corners? Flood lights? Are they fiber optic strands fitted through brass tubes to provide lighting for the Dragonfly? Brilliant idea!

Keep going!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 08:12:57 am »
Thanks Steve :)
The brass protrusions house 602 SMD's which will act as floodlights. I was going to add some Fiber optics tot he landing pad but decided it would be to hard and went down the easy route of SMD's. The landing pad is pretty much painted now  - just need to weather the wood a bit and finish off the base with some paint and greenery etc which ought to be fun! I'd like to add some figures but my figure painting skills completely suck.

Enterprise © Bloc