Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A naked Dragonfly...  (Read 709 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: A naked Dragonfly...
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 07:30:15 am »
Si, this is looking better with every post!

Thanks guys - I'm glad at least 2 people seem to not mind something not ST or SW :)
BTW - Alclad is awesome to work with - smelly but good. It sprays beautifully

Yeah, it's SciFimodelaction - room for all SciFi builds; IMHO. Unfortunately, most Mainstream model makers can only afford to market what sells and ST and SW do, so... I, myself, am working my way through my ST stash - even the parody of ST (i.e. Galaxy Quest), so guilty as charged. But I do enjoy many other generas -if only vicariously! :)

BTW, speaking about off the mainstream, have you heard of, or read, a SciFi book series called "Under the Green Star" by Lin Carter? It is in a similar vein of SciFi like E.R. Burroughs and is very good. What brings it to mind is that the main character describes a society that uses dragonfly type creatures as cavalry mounts; the cover of the first book features a painting of a typical mount. Your build reminds me of this factoid and I think it wouldn't have been too far of a stretch for the author to say the natural creatures had died off and the society now uses mechanized substitutes very much like your build!

So awesome!

Keep going and keep posting!

Steve

"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Online Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 06:15:37 am »
I aim to do different subjects, but don't get me wrong, I still like my SW and SBY 2199 subjects and I have a clear Enterprise D to make yet for my Mother (who is a big Trek fan). I have the Zvezda SD and Anigrand MC-80 to do yet as well as another Venator which I will finish one day, but I am enjoying the odd ball subjects for now. My poor QM2 has stalled and I need to find some more lovin' for it to get it over the line

No I hadn't heard of that series but I will have to have a look for it as it sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the heads up on that Steve as I like a good read!

Online Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 10:23:47 pm »
Work continues now with the base under way and not far from completion.
Just needs some paint and somewhere to house a battery, plus a little ground work before it's done. I haven't added the wings yet and they will be the last thing to go on

As always, thanks for looking
Si
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:00:02 am by Madhatter »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 07:19:58 am »
Si, I dunno what to say! This looks Beawesome!!

I love the wood detail you've done on the platform. Too kewl!

I was gonna suggest you could hide the battery under the platform, but it looks like you've already done!

Quick question - what are the brass tubes running up from the corners? Flood lights? Are they fiber optic strands fitted through brass tubes to provide lighting for the Dragonfly? Brilliant idea!

Keep going!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Online Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 08:12:57 am »
Thanks Steve :)
The brass protrusions house 602 SMD's which will act as floodlights. I was going to add some Fiber optics tot he landing pad but decided it would be to hard and went down the easy route of SMD's. The landing pad is pretty much painted now  - just need to weather the wood a bit and finish off the base with some paint and greenery etc which ought to be fun! I'd like to add some figures but my figure painting skills completely suck.

Online Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 04:36:05 am »
Not far from the finish line now. Bit more weathering to the landing pad and finish the base that the landing pad will sit on and wire up the wing an she's all done

That's all I have for now but I shall be working on it over Sunday through to Tuesday and hopefully it'll be 99% fiished by then
As always, thank for looking
Si

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 12:46:05 pm »
Man, that looks fantastic Hatter!!
Wasn't sure if I like the kit when I first saw it. But, yeah, I like it and that display base is
just awesome.

Offline nkaltso

• Admiral
  • Nothing is certain but death, taxes, and overspray
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 08:46:20 pm »
Wow, Wow, and Wow

What an amazing paint job.

Nick

Online Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 10:29:04 pm »
Thank you guys
So, time for one last WIP update I think before it's finished. I was struggling with ideas on what to do with the ground work until I came across some Tamiya textured surface mats which really worked well here. They're made of card but feel a bit rubbery on the top which works well to help hold models to the base.
So now I have all 3 elements on one display: wood, metal and stone  :thumbsup:

I am still to rig the wings up with some wires which ought to be interesting and finalise the way in which I will get power to the base - something I am still struggling to come up with a suitable plan with. I could just put a battery underneath but then it would literally be just that and ruin the overall look of the base. I'm looking at building a small metal crate to hold a switch and a power socket for mains power. It seems a little bit of over kill to run this off mains, but it would mean I don't have to find a way to hide a 9V battery in such a way that I make it changeable. Anyway, I'm sure I will come up with something in keeping with this

I added a few oil drops (dark wash) to the landing pad to make it look a little more used.

So, enough talking, time for pics:

Well, the next time I update this, it should be the finished product!
As always, thanks for looking in and thank you for the appreciation
Kind regards
Si

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 02:39:15 am »
That is just incredible.

Fantastic job and I need to get one of those myself.
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 07:28:23 am »
Si, this just gets better looking with every post!

Love the Wings!

Just a thought about your power. As I've noted before, this seems to be "Steampunk" in genera, so it wouldn't be out of place to have a "power cable" running across the platform to the Dragonfly; as if refueling it or running it off external power supply. The cable would allow you to run a power feed from the battery and the small metal crate holding the switch and the power socket for mains power. A sort of "hide it in plain sight" thing.

Just brainwaving.

This looks so over the top awesome! So glad you're sharing it with the board!

Steady on!

Steve

Online Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 02:49:02 am »
Thanks guys :)
I came up with a simple solution of a box and pipe underneath but painted in copper to go with the whole theme of it all. Pics on the weekend

Online Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 08:47:52 am »
While I had the camera out I took some night shots of the completed base etc. For those of you who wondered what those protrusions on the sides of the landing pad were, now you shall see:

These will likely be the only lit shots I take as I broke the socket getting the plug in : :'( It'll require major surgery to fix it which I can't be bothered doing right now. It'll be fixed for Expo next year though

Day light pictures to be taken over the upcoming weekend sorry
Thanks for looking
Si

Online TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2017, 10:11:11 am »
Stunning doesn't even come close. :)
Iain

Online Madhatter

• Lieutenant