Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WTH? Photobucket charges now?  (Read 334 times)

Offline whb64

• Commander
WTH? Photobucket charges now?
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:59:11 pm »
I noticed all my pictures from photobucket are gone on here.  I haven't checked other sites, but I'll assume they are gone on every site and forum I have posted on for years.  Do you have to pay now to use photobucket?  That's how I am interpreting it.  This majorly sucks!  There is no way I can move all my pictures to another hosting service and then go back through all the sites and fix the image links.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: WTH? Photobucket charges now?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:40:35 pm »
It's worse than that... not only do they want everyone to pay, they claim $30 a month or $400 a year... but the only option is a yearly subscription. Odds are pretty good that it's a cash grab, aimed at the business owners who've used the subscription service, because part of the change was that only the highest of the tiers, that $400 a year one, is now the only one that you can link to the images from elsewhere. There are also some reports that some of those business owners can't even download their images to put them elsewhere without being expected to pay up.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 09:24:49 pm »
It's worse than that... not only do they want everyone to pay, they claim $30 a month or $400 a year... but the only option is a yearly subscription. Odds are pretty good that it's a cash grab, aimed at the business owners who've used the subscription service, because part of the change was that only the highest of the tiers, that $400 a year one, is now the only one that you can link to the images from elsewhere. There are also some reports that some of those business owners can't even download their images to put them elsewhere without being expected to pay up.

Have to wonder how many can afford it. I know I can't. Hadn't been using it anyway for a while, except once last week. I'll download anything I don't have in my computer archives and say sayonara, if I actually can.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 09:48:38 pm »
That's what I thought too.  I sent them an email and told them I contemplated getting a paid account... UNTIL I read their pricing!  I told them they just made a BIG mistake because now when everyone leaves they won't even get the revenue from their pop up ads and then they will start losing advertisers too.

I used to be a moderator at one of the big two Home Theater forums and I have TONS of image links for the tutorials I made on a DIY screen paint I developed, one on how to build a media server and a bunch of other articles.  I also have reviews and articles on building a MAME cab on other sites.  There is no way I can back track and fix every thread and every link.

Pakratt they are even screwing people that previously had a paid account- Their links will be good until the end of next year and then they will be forced to pay $39 a month or $400 a year too.

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 10:51:29 pm »
Imgur FTW!

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 01:04:59 am »
Ugh....  now I have 1456 pictures to move to another hosting site

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 08:05:35 am »
That's what I thought too.  I sent them an email and told them I contemplated getting a paid account... UNTIL I read their pricing!  I told them they just made a BIG mistake because now when everyone leaves they won't even get the revenue from their pop up ads and then they will start losing advertisers too.

I used to be a moderator at one of the big two Home Theater forums and I have TONS of image links for the tutorials I made on a DIY screen paint I developed, one on how to build a media server and a bunch of other articles.  I also have reviews and articles on building a MAME cab on other sites.  There is no way I can back track and fix every thread and every link.

Pakratt they are even screwing people that previously had a paid account- Their links will be good until the end of next year and then they will be forced to pay $39 a month or $400 a year too.

What's worse? Getting your own hosting is a fraction of what they're attempting to charge.

What they're probably hoping is that enough people will decide that paying that amount of money is worth it compared to the pain of reuploading and redirecting all their images that they can get out of the financial hole. The reality is that, at best, their growth is not only capped, but going to be at least the negative of "no new accounts, slow attrition", and more likely to be negative as people decide to move to cheaper services or deciding it's time they learned how to host on much more specific hosting that they have more control over.

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 09:44:38 am »
I'll take the time needed to move all my images.  I won't go back and try to relink all my pictures.  I will relink on the sites I frequent now but not on sites that I haven't been to in awhile.

I can understand that things cost money and they have to pay for the storage.  That said I also know how much revenue sites can make with popup advertisers.  The home theater site I used to moderate on made around $10 million a year just in advertisements.

What is potentially going to suck is after moving everything they may end up reversing their new policy, or lowering the price to something more reasonable.  I'll of course leave my pictures there too incase they do reverse this and then everything would relink, but for now I will be using a different method.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 03:54:47 pm »
IKR?!

I was very upset to see the "Update your account!" pic instead of my hardwork in my build threads!

I have already taken down all of my Photoextortion pics and have left nothing there except an open account. I have yet to find where I can actual close my account or where I can provide feedback for why I want to close my account.

I have all of my pics, even some not shown here, of my builds on my external HDD. I don't "store" my pictures in the "cloud", I just use the sites to get the code so I can post here; yes, that does make them a 3rd party host for the pics, but that "was" the service they provided.

I have migrated over to Flickr.com and they offer 1TB of free storage for the pics. I will be redoing the links on the active thread I have going and those in the Gallery, but the others will have to sit; unless someone wants to see them.

It's a shame really. I wonder why they made this money grab in the first place! "Greed", I guess.

Their loss!

TTFN!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 04:37:50 pm »
I have already taken down all of my Photoextortion pics and have left nothing there except an open account. I have yet to find where I can actual close my account or where I can provide feedback for why I want to close my account.

I'll be moving mine soon too but I decided to leave them on PhotoBucket's site too... let them use storage space on their servers! ;)
Besides, if they rethink this and decide to go back to how it was then things will relink.  I won't add anything new or use their site anymore that's for sure.

It's a shame really. I wonder why they made this money grab in the first place! "Greed", I guess.

Their loss!
Yeah greed.  Pretty much they took everyone's images as 'hostage' and figure people will pay their price rather than move and relink everything.  Their big mistake is how much they are demanding.  If it was just a couple bucks a month I probably would have upgraded to a paid account.  They screwed up big time with this.

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 12:11:15 am »
ebay and Amazon are getting hit hard with sellers losing links to what they are selling.

I was reading some of the backlash over all this and this could quickly turn into a lawsuit.  People are saying that Photobucket didn't clearly state any of this in their terms of use clause and that basically they are holding people's pictures ransom now.  Whether this gets any traction and goes anywhere who knows, but one thing is for certain, Photobucket really blew it.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 07:44:01 am »
I'll be moving mine soon too but I decided to leave them on PhotoBucket's site too... let them use storage space on their servers! ;)
Besides, if they rethink this and decide to go back to how it was then things will relink.  I won't add anything new or use their site anymore that's for sure.

I recommend closing the account. Make it known you're not using them anymore, just walking away from the account doesn't do that. Plus, if they've got a "why are you leaving" survey when you're closing it, you can specify why. Also, I highly doubt what you have on their system is enough of a strain on their storage that it matters.

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 02:29:35 pm »
Good point

Offline ClarkKent

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 09:38:29 am »
I went on to Photobucket using my Iphone. By doing this I was able to copy all of my pics back to my phone and didnt lose any. I might have gotten lucky. Give it a try. I have all my pics   
If it don't fit, you must not quit.

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 05:13:02 pm »
Hi all.  :)
  I've been away from the hobby for a while....busy summer and it was time for a break. I got that bullcrap message from photobucket as well. I'm just going to cancel my account with them. I still have all my pictures from my builds saved locally. There's no way I'm paying them anything.

My question is, other than doing it the old way and adding to Boyd's burden, what are the options? Are there any other sites that can do something similar to what we used to do with photobucket?
  Ill be back at my Titanic model at some point before too long.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:14:39 pm by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Enterprise © Bloc