Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WTH? Photobucket charges now?  (Read 335 times)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: WTH? Photobucket charges now?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 09:13:34 am »
Hi all.  :)
  I've been away from the hobby for a while....busy summer and it was time for a break. I got that bullcrap message from photobucket as well. I'm just going to cancel my account with them. I still have all my pictures from my builds saved locally. There's no way I'm paying them anything.

My question is, other than doing it the old way and adding to Boyd's burden, what are the options? Are there any other sites that can do something similar to what we used to do with photobucket?
  Ill be back at my Titanic model at some point before too long.  ;)

Karve, glad to see you back! I also keep all my photos locally (Ext HDD) but changing the links is very tedious nonetheless.

There are some website hosting sites that perform a similar function:

1. Flickr - they offer 1TB of free storage.

2. Imgur - is a social media/community/image hosting service. Not sure of the storage amt but the account is free and there are a few builders already on there, too.

While not comprehensive, this is a list of sites I use since Photoextort went evil.

Hope this helps.

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 01:27:23 pm »
Thanks buddy. Ill look into it.  ;D
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 11:44:58 pm »
Well so far I am not liking either Flickr or imgur.  Neither seem to allow sub albums... for instance I like having my pictures organized like this- Star Trek Builds/(Kit Name)

It's going to be hard to keep things organized.  Is there a way in either to make sub folders/albums?

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 03:32:39 pm »
Well so far I am not liking either Flickr or imgur.  Neither seem to allow sub albums... for instance I like having my pictures organized like this- Star Trek Builds/(Kit Name)

It's going to be hard to keep things organized.  Is there a way in either to make sub folders/albums?

whb64, I just looked on Imgur and saw that you can make albums - but you may have to do that on the PC rather than mobile or tablet. And, No, I do not work for, or get any payment from Imgur, at all.  :) (Would be nice, though!)

Flickr is a bit unwieldy, but you can organize in albums as well. However, ALL your uploaded photos will be available on your Photostream. I have albums for my four builds so far. Again, don't know if this helps, but it's what I am doing in the mean time.

Another last tip, keep your own copy of any and all photos you take. Yes, this will take up storage space on an External HDD (which is what I do) so no one can hold your Original Content hostage for ransom. FYI

LLAP!

Steve

"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 08:48:36 pm »
That's what I ended up going with... imgur

Yes you can make albums but you can't have nested albums like on PhotoBucket.  It was nice being able to have an album for Model builds/Star Trek/(sub-albums for each build) rather than having all the albums all over the place.  Still, it's a trade off.  I'm still moving pictures from my arcade build, video server build, Home Theater threads...  I'll eventually get every image moved but I doubt I will ever get every link out on the web fixed.  At least my images won't be held hostage anymore.

Right now I can't think of any reason why anyone would use Photobucket anymore.  Unless they reverse this decision I'd say they have a year or less.  Oh... get this, they must be feeling some heat because they are now offering a 10% discount on the 500 membership, so it's only a measly $360 a year now lol.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 04:28:30 pm »
That's what I ended up going with... imgur

Yes you can make albums but you can't have nested albums like on PhotoBucket.  It was nice being able to have an album for Model builds/Star Trek/(sub-albums for each build) rather than having all the albums all over the place.  Still, it's a trade off.  I'm still moving pictures from my arcade build, video server build, Home Theater threads...  I'll eventually get every image moved but I doubt I will ever get every link out on the web fixed.  At least my images won't be held hostage anymore.

Right now I can't think of any reason why anyone would use Photobucket anymore.  Unless they reverse this decision I'd say they have a year or less.  Oh... get this, they must be feeling some heat because they are now offering a 10% discount on the 500 membership, so it's only a measly $360 a year now lol.

Wow! only $360/year. What a deal! I'll be jumping on that...uh, NOT!

I only had a handful of pics on Pukebucket that were not on my computer, so I just deleted everything and blistered the comments section when I deleted the account. I haven't figured out Imgur or Flickr yet. 
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 05:28:33 pm »

Sounds like photobucket is trying to reposition themselves to serve the professional market only.  It may be more profitable. 

I have been using Google photos for my models.  I'm definitely not the professional market, and it seems to work for me.

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 07:01:41 pm »
The one thing I didn't like about Google Photos is when you delete something from your album it also deletes it off your computer.  I found that out the hard way!  Other than that I liked it.

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 10:37:50 pm »
The one thing I didn't like about Google Photos is when you delete something from your album it also deletes it off your computer.  I found that out the hard way!  Other than that I liked it.

That is strange!
I use Google Photos as a back up storage. I also have my phone synced to Google Photos. I use my phone to take pics of everything and even use it to do my videos and I have yet to have any problems.
When I take pics or make a video I download them from Google Photos instead of transferring them from my phone. I have deleted a ton of useless pics that I didn't want to hog up the storage, But, they are still on my computer!!

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 10:41:06 pm »
Photobucket has definitely screwed up all the forums I go to. There are tons and tons of empty threads. Most of which will never get fixed. So, they are useless threads taking up space on the forums!!

You can talk about it for forever. But, without pics then it never happened!!!   =)

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 08:32:17 am »
Photobucket has definitely screwed up all the forums I go to. There are tons and tons of empty threads. Most of which will never get fixed. So, they are useless threads taking up space on the forums!!

You can talk about it for forever. But, without pics then it never happened!!!   =)

It's illustrating the multiple reasons why I found it more beneficial to hew to whatever internal uploading restriction a forum had, rather than relying on an external source. And if I rely on an external source, I'd want it to be one under my control, so that I don't have to worry about when ownership changes (complete with new URL!), or if I violate some aspect of the TOS unknowingly (or have someone file a false report of such), or it gets hacked and I lose my account that way, or even that they change the terms of how the service gets used.

Someone opined earlier they're trying to go 100% into the professional. I think, at the price they're trying to charge, that's not happening because there are so many less expensive options out there, even with the pain of moving it all, plus all the broken threads out there illustrating how sharp the change was, and the absolute lack of warning they were doing it, it's going to wind up with them consigned to the dustbin of internet history instead.

Offline whb64

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 02:59:52 pm »
Plus this Lynn...

I work in corporate America and for things like this, most bigger businesses will have their own IT solutions and not use a service like this.  That leaves the smaller businesses (which I am getting into that myself) and the small guys usually don't have the budget for a service that charges more than other resources.  I really can't see how this was a good move on their part.  Even if they reverse this, I don't see people coming back to them.

Enterprise © Bloc