Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: problem with aztec masking  (Read 201 times)

Offline robert

• Commander
problem with aztec masking
« on: July 11, 2017, 06:28:48 pm »
I recently purchased an aztec masking kit for the Revell 1:500 scale Enterprise (aka JJprise). I say recently, it's actually been a few months ago, but no matter. It was the kit sold by Orbital DryDock. I had an issue with the adhesive from the masks sticking to my base when I went to remove them. I allowed plenty of time for my base to dry before laying down the masks. I had started with the two saucer halves. I sanded them, then sprayed on a couple of coats of "Dupli-Color" adhesion promoter about 7 minutes before spraying on the base coat, which was Tamiya spray lacquer TS27 Matte White. After they were dry enough to handle, I put them away for ~ 48 hours before I began putting on the aztec masking. I put down all of the masking on both saucer sections, then immediately after I finished, I sprayed a very light coat of light gray Tamiya spray lacquer (TS81), then allowed about 10 minutes to dry and immediately started removing the masks, and that's when the problems occurred. Was it the matte base that caused the adhesive to to stick? There was nothing in the instructions that warned against using a matte or flat base coat. I wrote a couple of messages explaining all this on the Orbital DryDock web-site, using the "contact us" utility, but never got a reply.

Any type of solvent that would remove the masking glue would also ruin my paint job. I can LIGHTLY heat the glue with a heat gun, then roll the glue up with my thumb, but that method is extremely time consuming and painful after a short time of doing it. I've seen a bunch people on youtube have very good results using these Orbital DryDock paint masks, as well as glowing testimonials I've read on various forums. I wonder if perhaps the masking material was old or something.  Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone else had this problem?

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
Re: problem with aztec masking
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 08:49:00 pm »
Before applying the masks you need to sand the surface completely smooth so the masks lift off again without pulling up the paint. I use 1500 wet/dry sand paper. It is also a good idea to apply a clear gloss coat before applying the masks as well. Once the painting is finished and the masks have been removed then you can apply a clear matte or satin finish.

Offline robert

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 01:33:13 am »
Hi AussieTrekkie, thank you for your input. There was never any problem with the masks pulling up the paint. Just with the mask's adhesive sticking to my painted surface instead of staying with the masking the way it should. There's no mention of sanding the surface smooth before applying the masks in the written instructions or in the youtube videos.

You say it's also good to apply a gloss clear on top of my matte base before applying the masks? Are you saying the matte finish is responsible for the glue from the masks sticking to my paint? If that is a known issue, there should be something in the instructions and/or the youtube vids to warn about it. If I had known this to begin with I could've just used gloss white paint for my base. I don't know, man, that Tamiya spray lacquer is some pretty good paint. The paint job came out as smooth as a baby's behind, and it didn't have any trash in it. I was very careful to clean the surface where I spray my paint, and thoroughly clean the pieces to be painted to avoid dust particles getting into my paint. I think it had to be a problem with the material. I wish Brett would have chimed in here or at least answered my messages on his web-site. Oh well, that's $60 down the toilet for me, anyway.

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 06:44:13 am »
Yes the paint masks and even decals should be applied to a glossy surface or a well sanded surface with 1500 or 2000 grit paper. I have a tutorial video on my youtube channel on using the paint mask for the Refit. A matt surface is quite rough which you can't see with the naked eye but can feel with your finger tips. So from the roughness there isn't as much surface area for the paint mask to stick too which means they can come off easily when you don't want them too. So a gloss surface has more surface area for the masks to stick too. The Material Brett uses for the masks does have a shelf life and becomes less tacky over time but if you prepare the surface right that isn't too much of an issue. I had my current masks 2 years before I started using them and have had no problems.

Enterprise © Bloc