Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project Glutton for punishment: The Fine Molds 1/72 Millennium Falcon  (Read 1009 times)

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
Greetings, Modelers! 

Since I'm nearly done with the MPC Cutaway Falcon, I decided it was time to really hurt my fingers assembling the Fine Molds Falcon.  It's been sitting in my stash for a year and a half or so, and I figured... why not try to make something of it!

I've decided to build this one landed, so gear down and ramp down are in the cards.  I'll have to put in all the landing lights and marker lights, as well as lighting the cockpit.  The engines are going to be able to be controlled separately, as we want to be able to turn them off when we're just displaying it as is. 

I honestly wasn't going to light it, but I was threatened with some mild bodily harm by our friend Jerry at hdamodelworx if I didn't.  Curses!  This creates more work for me, but it should result in a much more impressive model.

One thing I've found is that there are zillions of parts on this thing.  The number of greeblies that have to be cut, smoothed, and glued to the hull are insane.  I guess that's why it's considered so amazing.

I suppose you guys want pics too...  Well, here goes!

Here's the box it came in on the day it arrived.  So large and purdy!

Here we've started on the front part of the hull in between the mandibles (I have no idea what it's called, but it's the big long thing that goes from the turret to the front of the ship.)  As you can see... numerous small bits!

Here's the start of the docking port tunnels.  One side is done, the other isn't started.  You can see all of the zillions of parts that go here.  Crazy.

Starting on the rear engine deck.  Here's where there are layers of parts that have to go on.  This took about a week of evenings to complete.

And all of them are now on.  I've left the one exhaust fan housing off, as there's a screw hole underneath it to close up the ship.  I've also got the photo etch set for the kit, so the exhaust fans will be very detailed!

Primer has been added to the upper hull.  This made all the parts pop like mad!

Check out the detail... Mmmmmm...

And now we've started the bottom of the hull.  This isn't nearly as detailed as the top and should go a lot quicker. 

And now, that's where I am.  I did shoot some primer on the bottom last night, but I haven't brought it in yet to see how it looks.  That means... more pics are on the way!

I'll be posting more progress soon.
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
Looking very good Matt....  Do you know if this same kit is now sold as the Bandai 1/72 version?
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
I'm seriously drooling over the number of greeblies this kit has.  Like you can paint everything and still assemble later!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
This looks like it will be a labor of love, Matt!

Looking forward to seeing your work on this one! If this one is gonna be like any if your other builds, its gonna be awesome!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
@IMWolf:  Thanks!  The kit is identical to the Revell Master Series Millennium Falcon being sold right now.  It retails for $300, though you can get it a bunch less than that.  It's a beautiful kit with over 900 parts. 

@scott: Yeah, the number of greeblies gets to be trying, but the result is totally worth it!  The MPC kit looks like a toy next to this, and actually doesn't even look like the falcon.  It sort of resembles it.

@Steve:  Thanks for the kind words!  I'm hoping it turns out awesome.  I'd like to turn it into a diorama of sorts.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
Looking forward to this Matt! It'll be really be awesome with that photo etch. 8)
For the fun of building art.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
Thanks, Adam!  Looking forward to the build!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
@IMWolf:  Thanks!  The kit is identical to the Revell Master Series Millennium Falcon being sold right now.  It retails for $300, though you can get it a bunch less than that.  It's a beautiful kit with over 900 parts.

Thanks Matt....  I do have the Fine Molds version of this kit too (which ended up being a freebie), but I wasn't sure who Fine Molds passed it off to.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
I have completed assembling the bottom of the hull, and have primed it.  As promised... new pics!

I'm starting to work on the cockpit now.  I'm kindof kicking the can of lighting down the road, as it sounds like a giant pain on this kit.  In reality, I'm probably making it bigger in my mind than it will be.  We'll see.

More coming...

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
Just sitting there, Matt, its beautiful!

Can't wait to see what you are going to do to her!!

Stay strong, my friend!

Steve

"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
Re: Project Glutton for punishment: The Fine Molds 1/72 Millennium Falcon
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 10:21:55 am »
Thanks Steve!

I've started the cockpit on the Falcon.  I'm using the photo etch set for paragrafix, and I've started applying the decals.  The back wall is turning out stunning!

Online greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 09:58:25 pm »
Oh, man! That is so cool seeing that all lit up from behind.

There is a type of fiber optics called "side lighting" or something like that to help the panels on the back sides light up. I saw someone do this for the 1:144 Bandai Falcon.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 01:18:32 pm »
I spent part of the weekend working on the cockpit some more.  Working with photo etch has it's fun moments for sure, but it sure turns out nice.

Here's some detail in the cockpit.  It's quite effective, and at this scale it should look fantastic.

Here's the cockpit complete.  I'm going to be redoing the front detail, as it should be part of the console. 

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 07:33:42 pm »
<light speed fails> "It's not my fault!"
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 07:07:24 am »
"Sir, I noticed earlier the hyperdrive motivator has been damaged. It's impossible to go to lightspeed!"

Awesome job here, Matt! Love the detail paint on the crew!

Steady On!

Steve

Enterprise © Bloc