Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project Glutton for punishment: The Fine Molds 1/72 Millennium Falcon  (Read 1372 times)

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
Re: Project Glutton for punishment: The Fine Molds 1/72 Millennium Falcon
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 01:27:12 pm »
Thanks, guys!

Steve, painting that crew is difficult, as they're very very small.  The photo is zoomed in with my iPhone to make it look that large.  They're only around an inch tall.  Crazy.

Last night, I worked on the cockpit a little more.  It's almost time to get it mounted in the tunnel.  I hope everything lines up right!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline ClarkKent

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 11:23:46 pm »
I bought the Revell repop and am enjoying your build. I just wish I could do this type of loghting since it takes the kit to the next level. Keep it up.
If it don't fit, you must not quit.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 11:11:06 pm »
So far, the lighting is all in the photo etch.  I'm not doing any drilling or anything, I'm just putting a bit of LED tape behind the back wall to light it.  Today, I put some LED tape behind the consoles around the cockpit to light those up too.  I used some cotton to diffuse it, so they wouldn't blow it all out.  It looks pretty darned good!  The only other lighting will be the landing lights and possibly the engines.  If I do the engines, they'll be on their own controls, as I'm going for the landed look this time around.

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 12:45:30 am »
Nice use of strip lighting. Why over complicate it, Excellent
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 07:25:52 pm »
The cockpit looks superawesome!  Love the lighting, and great work on those tiny little 1/72 heroes!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 10:50:47 pm »
More progress:  She's sitting on her own landing gear now.  I've also finished the radar dish, though it isn't mounted yet.  I'm also currently doing some finishing touches on the cockpit. 

Next:  Drill holes for landing lights.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 10:14:56 am »
Looking Awesome, Matt!

Are you gonna make a diroma landing pad, too?

That would look too kewl!!

LLAP!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 11:59:54 am »
Yeah, I've been in talks with Jerry about doing a base that looks like the Bespin landing pad.  We thought that would be hella cool. :)

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 05:34:29 am »
That's looking amazing Matt!
  Doing a falcon is on my wish list for sure. So much detail and so many different ways I could drive myself crazy!  ::)
 Love the cockpit... keep up the awesome work.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:47:28 am by karve »
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 08:35:27 pm »
The Bespin landing pad idea sounds cool. I was wondering if you are going to use the kit 'glass' for the cockpit or leave it open, as they did in the film to avoid camera and light reflections?
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 01:03:04 pm »
Always a pleasure watching you in action Matt.....   That cockpit is awesome!
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 07:15:33 am »
Yeah, I've been in talks with Jerry about doing a base that looks like the Bespin landing pad.  We thought that would be hella cool. :)

Oh, that will be cool!! Okay, okay,...I know this is your build and, with all the added detail the model has and the awesome Bespin landing pad added to it, are you gonna try and, maybe, replicate the steam shooting out from the Falcon like in the movie?

Sorry, the fan-boy got out there for a second! Whatever you decide, I know your build will be enviably awesome!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2017, 12:47:00 pm »
Ugh, time to add more parts!  Let's see... CO2 canisters... nozzles... wiring... a switch... STEAM! ;D

I can't imagine using it all that often, so probably not.  I keep adding all these neat toys to the models, and then I never use them.  I'm starting to get back to just building up the kit with lighting, and leave it at that.  I always just turn the lights on and go sit down.  I don't tend to play with all the bells and whistles enough to make it worth it.  On refit #2, I'm currently adding all of these warp and impulse effects plus the torpedoes, and I just know they're going to sit there.

Still... steam... :D

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 08:07:38 am »
Ugh, time to add more parts!  Let's see... CO2 canisters... nozzles... wiring... a switch... STEAM! ;D

I can't imagine using it all that often, so probably not.  I keep adding all these neat toys to the models, and then I never use them.  I'm starting to get back to just building up the kit with lighting, and leave it at that.  I always just turn the lights on and go sit down.  I don't tend to play with all the bells and whistles enough to make it worth it.  On refit #2, I'm currently adding all of these warp and impulse effects plus the torpedoes, and I just know they're going to sit there.

Still... steam... :D

LOL! TBH, I was just thinking something a little more low tech - like stretched cottonballs and maybe an LED aimed through it. Sorry, I should have known your penchant for accuracy would lead you do it right!!

Keep going, Matt! I'm really enjoying watching you put this together!

Steve

BTW, did I read somewhere you are doing another 350 refit? If so, do you have a WIP thread? It would be awesome to follow along!

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 10:55:39 am »
@Steve: Yes, I've been working (VERY off and on) on a second refit.  I have a 5 page buildup here:  http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=4263.0

I'd really like to get back to it, but I keep getting sucked into all these other projects.  I think after the Cutaway, 537, and fine molds are done and off my bench, I'm going to devote a whole bunch of model time to her.  I've got to start working on the details, but we'll get her there.

Enterprise © Bloc