Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lighted Resin Base for Revell Republic Star Destroyer  (Read 396 times)

Offline AlW

• Captain
Lighted Resin Base for Revell Republic Star Destroyer
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:48:46 am »
Hi Everyone,

This is a brief WIP mostly to give a shout out to Rob Rossi of Rossi Replicas for the great work he put into creating a variety of resin Death Star tiles that can be used for dioramas, bases, etc.

I contacted Rob because I wanted to see if he would cast an 8" x 10" tile in clear resin that I could use to replace the base I had previously used for my Revell SD.  I wasn't quite pleased with the finish of the Wolf Base I procured from HDATx and it also just didn't fit the bill.  My WIP of the SD can be found here:

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=6447.msg83710#msg83710

The relief on the tile Rob made is pretty good with the thickness ranging from a minimum of 1/8" to taller structures at just under 1/2".  Since I wanted to illuminate some random structures, light blocking was going to be a challenge.  I didn't want to lose significant detail that you get with heavier light blocking paint.

I used both Tamiya masking tape and Vallejo Liquid Mask and after priming with Tamiya fine surface primer, I hand painted black acrylic paint (craft variety) to control the thickness and get it in all the nooks and crannies.  I followed that with a thin coat of white  Rustoleum two-in-one paint/primer which is what I normally use for light blocking model interiors.

The tile is going to sit on top of a box from Hobby Lobby and nearly sit perfectly.  Hobby Lobby has a range of "d

Offline AlW

• Captain
Re: Lighted Resin Base for Revell Republic Star Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 06:59:46 am »
After light blocking, I brushed on a black wash and began the painstaking process of removing the masking tape and latex mask.  Even being careful with the paint application, the thickness made it difficult to remove the masking materials and in a lot of cases, the first coat of black paint was still visible.  I used the backside of an Xacto blade to scrape off the residual paint.  Although some of it remains, it kind of blends in with the wash and enhances the "starship filth" appearance!

Assembly of the ship to the base is similar to what most of you do, and I used a threaded lamp rod for the mounting pole.  Lighting is provided by five strings of standard density 12V LED strip lights.

A few final pics follow.  I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.  I usually prefer a base that somehow integrates with the starship and this accomplishes that for me.  Thanks again to Rob for casting a really nice part!

Happy to answer any questions, and thanks for looking!

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 03:06:46 am »
Oh that is nice isn't it. I really like that base and would loved to have had that when I built my Venator.
I'll do a Google on Rob later tonight when I have more free time.

Offline SciFry

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 10:58:32 pm »
Nice work

Offline manu

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 04:42:41 am »
Looks great!

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 05:49:01 am »
Thanks guys.  If anyone's interested, Rob can be reached at rossi99@comcast.net

I think Rob is casting a variety of tiles and can do them in clear or opaque.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 07:41:24 am »
Nice job, Al!

I expected nothing less!

But the detailing and masking must have been a nightmare to apply but really paid off in the end!

Very well done!!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 10:53:09 am »
Hey, thanks for the kudos, Steve!  I'm really enjoying your NSEA Protector build -- been watching from the beginning -- it's turning out great:)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 07:05:58 pm »
What a great idea!  And it looks fantastic as well.  Giving me all kinds of ideas about bases now.  After all, it's all about the base...
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Enterprise © Bloc