Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Space: 1999 Eagle Colors  (Read 1070 times)

Offline TD1701

• Commander
Space: 1999 Eagle Colors
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:41:00 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I 've  been quietly working on the smaller MPC Space: 1999 Eagle, and doing some final touch up with filling and sanding. I've primed a couple of pieces and it's looking great so far. Since I'm so far along it brings me to the question of what would be the best color for base coat, and what color to paint the gray patches that are there in certain spots on it? I want a gray that will differentiate from the white but not too dark that it really stands out. If there are any of you talented fellas out there that have built one of these that have any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Tom

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Space: 1999 Eagle Colors
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 07:46:21 am »
Hey, Tom!

While not a definitive answer, Mr. Atoz did an excellent job with his 22" Eagle build; as did many other builders on the forum with theirs!

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=5818.msg75451#msg75451

There is the link to his WIP Thread. I scanned through it but didn't see a standout mention of paint colors. Maybe if you did an overall search of the WIPs you might find the colors used by others.

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TD1701

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:46:49 am »
WOW! Thanks for the link Steve!!! I was able to read quite a lot and give me some ideas going forward. That is an excellent build and he did a fantastic job. I don't know if I'm the master of the airbrush that he is, and my panels may not look as nice as his. I bought a set of Aztek Dummy masks from Cultvman for it but, I don't see that it covers those intermittent panels. Either way I'll keep plugging along and get it done.

Tom

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 08:07:32 am »
No worries, Tom!

I am "The Link Master!" I'll master them links! When I'm done with those links, they won't know where they're taking themselves!

LLAP!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TD1701

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 09:40:32 am »
Hi Everybody!

I've set this project aside for quite a while so I could finish other projects and take a break. Now I am back at it and furiously trying to get it done.

Here she is with a primer coat.

Then I sprayed it with Testors Gunship Gray and applied the Aztek Dummy masks.

After that, I painted the black areas on the command module which I think turned out rather nicely. :)

I hope to get the base coat on today and get a better idea of how it's going look.

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 09:52:07 pm »
Looking good so far!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 05:06:20 am »
Looking great Tom!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline TD1701

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 09:43:21 pm »
Thanks a lot fellas!! :) I did get the base coat on everything except the passenger pod. Here it is after I removed all of the masks. Now I just have to decide what color to paint the passenger pods. I am looking for any ideas of what color to paint the rocket/thruster bells? I have Testors Model Master Acrylic Aluminum but that may be too dark. I prefer to use acrylic so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great! Here are some pics with the base coat, I hope you like them as well.

Tom

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 12:16:34 am »
I used the tamiya synthetic lacquer aluminum for the main engine bells.   I used Testor's model master acrylic aluminum for the 8 vertical thrusters on the bottom of the ship.  The RCS thrusters I did with silver (they are actually fairly bright on the filming model).

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 07:29:53 am »
Tom,

Can't suggest much on the paint, but I can offer some encouragement! This is looking fabulous!

What did you end up using for the base coat? Is it a flat white?

Keep going!

Steve

Offline TD1701

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 09:26:02 am »
Thanks Starsiegepalyer! I will hit the hobby shop sometime this weekend and see what they have for metallic colors for the main engine bells. I painted the thrusters underneath the passenger pod Testors acrylic aluminum and will probably do the same for the other four on the bottom.

Thanks a lot Steve! I can use all of the encouragement I can get! :) My base color is a mix of 2 bottles Testors Model Master arylic Flat White and 1 bottle Testors MM acrylic Light Gray. I probably will not have any more updates until after the weekend.

Have a great rest of the week!

Tom

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 06:56:38 am »
I know you said you prefer acrylics, but take a look at Alclad metallics, they are FANTASTIC, requires an airbrush though.  I am loving your build, so many awesome models out there, not enough time to build them all. :(

Cheers,
James

Offline TD1701

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 08:38:10 pm »
Thank you so much for your support James! :) For the liftoff thrusters, I am going to go with Testors acrylic Aluminum and lightly airbrush this the insides black. For the main rocket motors, I picked up a bottle of Tamiya Chrome Silver which I will also use on the RCS thrusters and on the sensors on the command module. it's brighter silver which I hope will look pretty good.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 09:17:48 pm »
Really loving this.  I have an Eagle in the stash and have never built one.  Keep going!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 10:14:06 pm »
I have used Tamiya chrome silver acrylic paint before.  I liked it.

Enterprise © Bloc