Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magnetic Wire Soldering Problem  (Read 99 times)

Offline The Man/Kind Project

• Ensign
Magnetic Wire Soldering Problem
« on: July 19, 2017, 09:55:21 am »
Hi everyone -

I'm very new to adding electronics to models.  I've purchased several TenaControls kits and working diligently to up my welding game.  I have an annoying essential tremor that often brings in my helping hands to hold wire steady.  Here's my question:

I'm having difficulty working with magnetic wire.  I can wire using small gauge copper wire no problem, but I want to get proficient using magnetic wire.  What gauge should I be using?  What is the best way to expose the actual wire?  Any tips, videos that you can send my way would be appreciated.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: Magnetic Wire Soldering Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:39:45 pm »
I'm certainly no expert, but I'll help as best I can. With magnet wire, I have used 30awg in a couple of builds. You can use 28awg too, but it all depends on what kit you're building and how much room there is inside for the wiring. 28awg is a good standard for most applications. Stripping the wire for soldering can be done by quickly dipping the tip of the wire into the flame of a lighter, or you can use a piece of sandpaper to clean it off too. It's probably best to use the sandpaper either way, just to clean the carbon scoring off after you flame it. If you're soldering the wire to a resistor, LED, or just soldering the wires together, you can just solder without stripping because the heat of the iron and the solder will melt the coating away and you're done. The downside of magnet wire, if you've watched any of Boyd's recent videos, it tends to be springy or grabby. It wants to latch onto anything that comes in range. That's why Boyd and many others have switched to either a 28 awg or a 30 awg solid core wire. HDA Modelworx has it and it's a pretty fair price. You can strip it with your fingernails, providing you have some. It's also not nearly as clingy or grabby as the magnet wire. Hope this helps some. And again, I'm no expert. There are many on here who have way more practical experience than I do and I'm sure they will chime in if I've missed anything.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline The Man/Kind Project

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 07:33:11 am »
Thanks for the quick response!  I'm waiting for a decal sheet to come from HDA, so I'll hit them up this morning for some solid core wire!

I'm a modeler mate - my fingernails are chewed off, dissolved by CA glue, and burnt from grabbing the wrong end of the soldering iron!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 09:08:24 am »
M/K Prjt,

I have used 30 AWG magnet wire extensively on my current NSEA Protector build; not a lot of space for running wires.

Dan is right in that you should really clean off the wire prior to attempting to solder. I use the solid core wire and use an exacto knife to scrape off the outside coating before I mount it in the helping hands. I also have a 20W/40W soldering iron. This approach has really worked well for me. For most projects, I use 24AWG wire using the iron's 20W setting.

But for the Magnet wire, I have to use the 40W setting to get the wire to heat enough to fuse with the solder.

Take away from all of this is:

1. Scrape off the outside coating
2. Use a hotter iron to make the join.

Hope this helps!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Mstowell

• Admiral
  • Gort! Barenga!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 05:57:13 pm »
The easiest way I've found to get the coating off magnet wire is to get a little solder on a hot iron.  Then touch it to magnet wire, for a few seconds.  You will see a little puff of smoke, which is the coating burning off.  This removes coating and tins the wire in one fell swoop.
I have never once scraped the coating off. 
I figure, why do 2 steps when one works?
Matt

Enterprise © Bloc