Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Galileo and Columbus  (Read 194 times)

Offline Shaw

• Commander
Galileo and Columbus
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:38:36 am »
These are two quick-n-dirty scratch built models I did to test some changes to my original plans/templates for the TOS shuttlecraft. Not wanting to expend too much on resources for these, they are half the size of my original Galileo study model, which makes them about one-quarter studio scale.

Here are some shots of the two models...

And a couple next to the original study model...

Online pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: Galileo and Columbus
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:27:11 pm »
Welcome back Shaw! Wish my finished stuff looked as good as your "quick-n-dirty" test shots do. 8)
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:59:36 am »
Hey, Shaw, these look stunningly beautiful! Very well done!

A quick question - how did you achieve the Matter Restoration Cowls on the Nacelles? Are they turned metal or just an excellent paint job over resin?

Again, Beautiful work!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 07:40:16 am »
My jaw drops every time I see one of your posts.  Have you done a WIP on these builds anywhere, like RPF or other site?

Thanks!

Offline Shaw

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 11:11:05 am »
Thanks guys!

A quick question - how did you achieve the Matter Restoration Cowls on the Nacelles? Are they turned metal or just an excellent paint job over resin?

They're just plastic, I used Krylon Metallic Chrome on them. I cover them before hitting the models with any clear coats to keep them nice.

Have you done a WIP on these builds anywhere, like RPF or other site?

This is a good thread (here) for that, but between being sick and the fact that I normally wouldn't have built these test articles to completion, there isn't too much to show. Generally when I want to test my plans I'll knock out a cardboard/foamcore board mock up to see if I'm on the right track. In this case I used some scrap styrene for the build up (supported by a foam interior trimmed with a hot wire).

By this point I had the data I needed for the larger model, but figured these parts were close enough to finish off as masters...

I started making parts for three small models, mainly to test out the new decal graphics I had done a little over a year ago based on the decals for the original studio model...

This is an early version of the decal sheet I threw together for that...

Unfortunately my health took a turn for the worse, and I only finished enough parts to make two complete models and the start of a third...

These models have a bunch of flaws, but at some point in the future I'd love to fix them and used the masters to put together a one-quarter studio scale hangar deck (which would be about 2.5 feet long). For now, these have worked out nicely for what I needed from them.

These are actually like my USS Columbia, which was made from the masters/molds for my scratch built 1/500 scale TOS Enterprise based on my plans of the 11 foot model. I wanted to see how some aspects of that project were coming together, and to test out ideas I had for doing decals and painting.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:24:08 pm by Shaw »

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 12:10:10 pm »
That's really some nice work there, Shaw, you have quite a range of skills.  I made some heavy mods to the old AMT Shuttlecraft kit a couple years ago and couldn't get it as good looking as your foam board "test models"!  Hope you're back to feeling well and able to keep contributing to this forum:)

Al

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:03:01 am »
That's some fine "scratching" Mr. Shaw....

Hope you're feeling better.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 07:29:36 am »

They're just plastic, I used Krylon Metallic Chrome on them. I cover them before hitting the models with any clear coats to keep them nice.

Thanks for the answer, Shaw! I'll probably use that one, too!

Again, well done!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Enterprise © Bloc