Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Wrath of Khan] Back In Theaters For 35th Anniversary  (Read 327 times)

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
[Wrath of Khan] Back In Theaters For 35th Anniversary
« on: July 27, 2017, 02:59:15 am »
Hi, Everyone!

To celebrate the 35th anniversary of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Paramount is re-releasing the film to theaters for two days in September (the 10th and the 13th)!

The showings will be the latest version of the Director's Cut which was released on Blu-ray disc in June 2016.  This version was remastered from a new 4K resolution scan so the movie has never looked or sounded so good.  William Shatner will also appear in a newly-produced introduction!

Use Fandango to find participating theaters and show times in your area: https://www.fandango.com/startrekii:thewrathofkhan35thanniversary_203785/movieoverview.

It'll be a great way to see one of the best Star Trek movies on the big screen again or to experience it in that format for the first time.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this event is happening outside of the United States.

For now, though, watch this YouTube video for the original theatrical trailer: https://youtu.be/oJ7BZ30CAoc.

Have fun!

:)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline whb64

• Captain
Re: [Wrath of Khan] Back In Theaters For 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 06:03:02 am »
I hope they shoe the directors cut

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 05:36:52 pm »
Hi, Everyone!

Has everyone gotten their tickets to see The Wrath of Khan in theaters this month?

Here is a press release from Fathom Events which has organized the two-day event with Paramount Pictures...

=====

"Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan," the epic science-fiction adventure that continues to captivate audiences, marks its 35th anniversary with a two-day-only return to cinemas nationwide. "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" will be presented in a digitally remastered Director's Cut and, as an added bonus for Star Trek and movie fans, William Shatner will appear in a newly produced in-depth interview that will play before each screening.

Fathom Events and Paramount Pictures will present "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" on Sunday, September 10, and Wednesday, September 13, at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. local time each day.

Tickets for "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 35th Anniversary" can be purchased online by visiting www.FathomEvents.com or at participating theater box offices. Moviegoers throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy this event in more than 600 select movie theaters. For a complete list of theater locations visit the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change).

"Making Star Trek II seems like only yesterday," Shatner said. "Even back then, we knew we were creating something really special, and to have The Wrath of Khan back on the big screen 35 years later is a wonderful testament both to the film itself and to the incredible passion of Star Trek fans."

Director Nicholas Meyer's "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan," was a box-office hit upon its release - the sixth highest-grossing film of 1982 - and continues to be revered and quoted by fans. The film, a continuation of the original Star Trek series episode "The Space Seed," finds longtime Starfleet nemesis Khan Noonien Singh (Ricardo Montalban) alive and well, marooned on a seemingly lifeless planet. When he's discovered by Chekov (Walter Koenig), Khan will stop at nothing to exact revenge against the man who exiled him on the barren world: Admiral James T. Kirk.

Kirk must lead his loyal crew - including Spock (Leonard Nimoy), Bones (DeForest Kelley), Uhura (Nichelle Nichols), Sulu (George Takei), Scotty (James Doohan) - and an unprepared group of trainees led by half-human, half-Romulan Lt. Saavik (Kirstie Alley) in a race against time to stop Khan from deploying a device that threatens the entire universe. Bibi Besch, Paul Winfield and Merritt Butrick also star in the film, which features an unforgettable musical score by the late James Horner. The Director's Cut of "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" is currently available on Blu-ray, with more than two hours of in-depth bonus features.

"Star Trek II holds a special place in the hearts of Star Trek fans," Tom Lucas, Fathom Events VP of Studio Relations, said. "Fathom is proud to work with Paramount Pictures to present it again on the big screen, with all of its excitement, action, drama and emotion."

=====

Here is the Fathom Events trailer on YouTube: https://youtu.be/1LLDA8My9ZY.

It's going to be a blast!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:38:50 pm by Gadgetron_3000 »

-----

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 03:45:09 pm »
Got my tickets!  Wouldn't have know about this if it wasn't for you and this website -- Thanks!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 06:49:24 pm »
My son (30) and I plan on going.

I really hope everyone goes to see this.  I remember watching it on the big screen when it first came out at the theater, and back then it was just in stereo!  This will be digitally remasters, full surround, AND will have deleted scenes included!

What I really hope for is that all of us Trek fans come out in numbers, as well as the new JJ fans come out because they got introduced to Trek but never saw the original.  I'd love to see this two day run bring in more money in those two days than the last two JJverse movies.  Since there are rumors that Paramount wants to do another movie, but is on the fence after the last two didn't do as well as anticipated... maybe if WOK does phenomenally well at the box office they will rethink the alternate time line and decide to go back to the old look, style, and with quality writing.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:36:38 pm »
I'm not going to be able to go, as hurricane Irma is going to be ripping through Orlando on the 10th.  Figures.
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 05:16:56 am »
I'm not going to be able to go, as hurricane Irma is going to be ripping through Orlando on the 10th.  Figures.
Stay safe my friend!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline rmpitzer

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 08:13:55 am »
It was SO nice to see the refit Enterprise on the big screen again!!!!

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 11:15:50 am »
Hi, Everyone!

I hope those who were able to make it to the September 10th showings for Wrath of Khan had a good time.

Before the event showing begins, the audience gets treated several times to on-screen Star Trek trivia.  Then comes a barrage of Fathom Events trailers.  A Star Trek: Discovery trailer gets shown several times as well.  After that, a sit-down interview with William Shatner by Star Trek super-fan and walking-Hollywood-trivia-Wikipedia Scott Mantz which ended up being kind of nice to watch...even though Shatner got some facts wrong.

As for the movie itself...it is SOOO nice to see everything on the big screen again!  The picture is as good as it has ever been and the sound is crisp.  To see all the characters, the Reliant, and, of course, the Enterprise up there once more reminds you that it's the way they were meant to be experienced.

There are September 13th showings coming up, so if you didn't catch any on the 10th, you still have a chance.  Highly recommended!

-----

Offline rmpitzer

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 08:23:06 am »
While it's obvious William Shatner is no Star Trek fan and got some facts wrong, it was an enjoyable interview to see.

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 11:24:07 am »
Hi, Everyone!

Apparently, the event showings of The Wrath of Khan director's cut did well enough that an encore date has been set for tomorrow (9/21/17).  Go here to find a theater near you:

So if you missed watching the movie last week on the 10th and 13th, you still have another chance to check it out!

Here is the updated Fathom Events trailer on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Pr-R2fxXFN8.

-----

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 09:28:34 pm »
I am curious what the box office take was from the two day run.

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 10:39:06 am »
Hi, Everyone.

If you want the version of The Wrath of Khan - Director's Cut that was shown in theaters this past month, it is available on Blu-ray disc...

==========

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Director's Cut Blu-ray (2016)

Release Date: 6/7/2016

The disc includes the following...

• Director's Edition in high definition (remastered from a new 4K resolution scan)
  • Theatrical Version in high definition
  • Commentary by director Nicholas Meyer (Director's Edition & Theatrical Version)
  • Commentary by director Nicholas Meyer and Manny Coto (Theatrical Version)
  • Text Commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda (Director's Edition)
  • Library Computer (Theatrical Version)
  • The Genesis Effect: Engineering The Wrath of Khan - NEW!

Production:
  • Captain's Log
  • Designing Khan
  • Original interviews with DeForest Kelley, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and Ricardo Montalban
  • Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Visual Effects of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
  • James Horner: Composing Genesis

The Star Trek Universe:
  • Collecting Star Trek's Movie Relics
  • A Novel Approach
  • Starfleet Academy: The Mystery Behind Ceti Alpha VI

Farewell:
  • A Tribute to Ricardo Montalban

Additional:
  • Storyboards
  • Theatrical Trailer

The Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and Portuguese Mono Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.

==========

Amazon has been selling this Blu-ray release for a while now for $9.99 U.S.D. which is a good deal: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-II-Directors-Blu-ray/dp/B01AI7QPM6

Please note that once you get the disc, check the back of the packaging to ensure the UPC barcode is in a YELLOW surround box.  The first batch of discs that shipped in June 2016 contained an editing error during the Kobayashi Maru sequence where a particular momentary scene of the back of Sulu's head is shown twice.  Disc releases with a WHITE surround box for the UPC barcode have this issue.  The YELLOW UPC surround box indicates the fixed version.  (If you already have the incorrect version, you can contact Paramount's customer service department at wrathofkhanreturns@tce.com or call toll free at 1-844-898-4365 to arrange for a free replacement.)

Enjoy!

-----

Enterprise © Bloc