Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Star trek DS9 AMT Space Station  (Read 67 times)

Offline viz

• Ensign
Star trek DS9 AMT Space Station
« on: August 11, 2017, 12:41:18 am »
https://flic.kr/p/XAkFpe
Just aquired this set , so I am only on the research stage. The set does not have any paint guides . I was trying to find info on the colour but most sites seem to favour tan or brown. No great information out there. This is not the fiber optic model. I would still like to light it up. This is only my second model of this type and I am still busy with mybfirst. Could anyone help me with the paint, the Lighting and any tips. I would like to make it as realistic as possible.I heard it can be a painful build

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
Re: Star trek DS9 AMT Space Station
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 07:25:32 am »
Thus will help with the window placement!
http://www.culttvmanshop.com//Deep-Space-Station-window-drilling-templates-from-Paragrafix_p_2671.html

As far as color, they mixed a ton of colors together to get the color of the station. I have seen others use the Tamiya Deck Tan darkened for the off the shelf color!

Offline Plaztek

• Lieutenant
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:56:01 am »
Viz,
here is what I was able to find a few years back. Its supposed to be the same colors that were used on the studio model.
Base color made by mixing:
8 Parts Sand Beige
3 Parts dark ghost grey
3 parts white
few drops black

The yellow is:
4 parts insignia yellow
3 parts flat white
2 parts military brown
few drops of pale green

The red is:
4 parts flat red
6 parts flat yellow
1 part white
few drops rubber

The grey detail around the docking ring is dark ghost grey.
To get the panels look on the surface use darker and lighter base mixes.
I wanted to do this myself but haven't  had time to try them out. Let me know how it goes. Hope this helps and Good luck!
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Offline viz

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 01:41:40 pm »
Thanks guys. Really appreciate this. Will only be starting it in a few months as I have other projects . Any other input please don't hesitate.I will definitely be using the templates. Thanks for the colours .Any recommendations for what paint to use?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:54:06 pm by viz »

Offline Plaztek

• Lieutenant
  • This is about saving the future of humanity!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 05:26:10 pm »
The color names I gave you are from Testor's list but I like to use Tamiya acrylics myself. It's all preference. I would suggest trying some out on scrap plastic or a cheap model you don't care about to see what works best for you. I heard very good things about Vallejo but I haven't tried them yet.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Ahab has to go hunt his whale!

Enterprise © Bloc