Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SPACESHIPS!! Time for some SBY goodness  (Read 490 times)

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
SPACESHIPS!! Time for some SBY goodness
« on: August 28, 2017, 06:04:03 am »
hi folks

Yes, in your best Lego Movie, 80's Space dude's voice, it's time for: Spaceships!

After the relative flop of the Dragonfly, I thought I would go back to a tried and true WIP formula of Starships, but not your typical SW or ST but some Space Battleship Yamato 2202! Yay  ;D
I never really was into the whole Star Blazers as a teenager or Japanese Anime as a whole until a few years ago when I came across some amazing Japanese examples which completely changed my whole perspective on the ships.
Then a mate of mine on  another forum sent me a link to the whole series of 2199 which I watched from start to finish over the course of a week- by which time I was hooked. After that came the Ark of Stars then the live action version (which I own on DVD) and now, the long anticipated (by some) 2202 series
I have built most of the Garmillian ships except a couple, half way through the Gatlantis 'Wasp' Carrier and now this - the Kongo Class ship of the Earth Defense Force. This will be the first of 3 ship builds over the next few months. Up after this will be the mighty Andromeda and then the Dreadnought

The Yunagi is a small ship - only 20cm long in total and 3cm wide but there is heaps of room for detailing - a task I thoroughly enjoy. I made a start on this about 3 weeks ago but put it down to start the Dragon Fly. I picked it up again last night and got a fair bit of the lighting installed and some surface detail added.  Still lots more to do but there is no time limit on it and I am in no rush.

So, enough blabbing, time for some pics:

Well, that's all I have for now, but I shall be back again soon enough.
As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look
Si

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
Re: SPACESHIPS!! Time for some SBY goodness
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 06:06:50 pm »
I'm quite intrigued!  Do you have any images of what this beastie will look like when done?
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:55:51 am »
thankyou! Here's the box art:

The model itself looks very basic and bare and given the scale of it (1/1000) it probably should stay that way, but I'm a sadist and prefer my subjects to look beefier   ;D

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 03:23:46 pm »
Fantastic detail work there!

Loving the greeblies and those teeny weeny LEDs!

"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Offline madmonk

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 09:16:11 am »
Good to see you back to normal MH, if anything you do can be classed as normal!!

Looking forward to seeing where you take this.

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 04:55:40 am »
thanks Warren! I guess we all have our own definition of what 'normal' is  ;)

Time for an update!
Spent a good solid few hours on this last night and accomplished a fair bit for a change. Got most of the surface detail sorted and will now look to get the lighting all sorted and final construction happening. It's a small kit so that are not that many pieces 
I'm going to try out a new method of painting using an extraction fan filter and see if I can't get a more mottled finish with it.
In the mean time, here's what I managed to get done:

Everything at the moment is just push held - nothing glued. Its one reason I love Bandai kits - half the time you don't even need glue!!

Anyways, will leave it at that, but as always, thanks for looking
Si

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 03:36:33 pm »
Si, While I join you in admiring the fit of the Bandai kit, I really love your take on making it more 'bumpy.'  Frankly, those ships seem to be begging for more complexity and you are just the one to provide it!  This is looking superb.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 12:49:12 am »
Wow! That's a lot of extra greeblies. They make the ship look more imposing and Star Wars-y. It looks like you plan to light this up. It seems that the Gamilus starships are begging to be lit, with their clear parts and such.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 08:50:25 am »
After the relative flop of the Dragonfly...

FLOP?! What Flop?! I loved it! I thought it was innovative and unique and artistically beautiful! An excellent build! Don't sell yourself short, Si, you did an excellent job on it! Enviably excellent!

Okay, this thread!

Like Greg said, "That's alot of greeblies!" The surface detail and texture will look awesome in the final product!

Keep going and Stay Strong! (In your best 80's, G.I Joe voice!!)  ;D

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 10:58:42 am »
I agree with Steve. The Dragonfly was not a flop. It was beautifully built and detailed, with an excellent diorama to boot. I personally had never seen it before so for me it was something new and fresh. Has a kind of steampunk flair to it IMHO.

GREEBLIES! Not sure who came up with that term, but if you use it in conversation outside the modeling community you get quizzical looks and stares. But they certainly do add detail to kits that sometimes lack 'depth'.
I'm amazed at your ability to cut styrene that size and keep it straight and square, and uniform. Nice job.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 08:46:57 am »
yeah - I don't use the term "Greeblies" anywhere outside of modelling - and unless you model Sci-Fi, even most modellers don't have a clue what your on about  ;D I wonder who came up with that term?

I should clarify my use of the term "flop" here. I didn't mean it in a derogatory or negative way towards what I built - it was more directed to traffic flow numbers. I don't entirely measure success by thread view count, but it is a useful indicator as to what sort of subject is popular and what isn't.

Look, personally, I am really happy with how the Dragonfly came out and even the wife likes it (which is saying something!), so don't get me wrong - I am not in a state of self pity or self doubt. I'm still new here and my tastes vary wildly, so for me, it's still trial and error in seeing what works and what doesn't. That's all. Don't worry - I don't wear a tiara...... all the time  ;D

Anyways, as to this build, I have almost finished detailing the surface and am getting closer to the paint stage. Unfortunately, I somehow managed to make the main Bridge LED stop working. The little one at the back works, just not the main one and they are both wired together. Go figure. This happens a lot to me - just ask Warren (Madmonk) ;D I will never be a sparky! Still, all the other ones work and that's the main thing

I'll be back again with an update soon
Thanks for looking in
Si

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 11:36:22 pm »
I think I remember hearing about how the word "greeblie" came about. I believe it was first used by ILM model makers during the production of the first Star Wars movie in the '70s, and maybe somebody's last name was Greeble. I think.

I know the frustration with getting electronics to work. I'm working on that R-Type model, but I had some frustration getting the wires together and working.It worked out fine, but my adrenaline was pumping because I was so afraid that I'd screw it up so close to the end. I'm nearly done with it now, and all I have to do is wire up the switch and secure the power to the base. I've been kinda avoiding the kit for a while now because of the stress of getting it done right. Especially because my soldering iron was not allowing me to tin the tip properly.

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 07:43:29 pm »
It's still a funny word though..."Greeblie"...  ;D Sounds like it should belong on the set of Gremlins
Anywho...

Time for an update. The surface detail is all done now and it's ready for painting! I will begin this process later this afternoon or tonight
I've used Maskol for the main windows and exterior SMD's but will remove the window masks and put over a light covering of the base colour once everything else is done so I won't loose too much luminosity (at least - that's the plan)

The engine nozzle is missing from the pics but it's there. I cut out a disc of frosted clear plastic to help disperse the light for the engine LED. Hope it works!

More pics later
As always, thanks for looking
Si

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 07:56:02 pm »
It's still a funny word though..."Greeblie"...  ;D Sounds like it should belong on the set of Gremlins

Everything I've read so far keeps coming back to the word being coined during Star Wars production, but nothing definitive about who it was. Whoever came up with it, the Greeblies certainly add a dimension to this kit that suggests a scale a lot bigger than she is. She just looks...BIG!

Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 07:42:18 am »
Si, I thought I took a lot of pictures of my builds! It appears we are in competition for that honor! :)

I like the multi-views and angles of the ship plus the uncluttered background allows the eye to focus on the subject rather than the superfluous stuff. I admit, I am probably the WORST offender (Legos and bits of masking tape in the shot) so I have no room to whine. The Artist (one of six I have in my family!) daughter-in-law recently chided me that I don't know how to set up a beauty shot!

You, Sir, seem to have mastered it!

I should clarify my use of the term "flop" here. I didn't mean it in a derogatory or negative way towards what I built - it was more directed to traffic flow numbers. I don't entirely measure success by thread view count, but it is a useful indicator as to what sort of subject is popular and what isn't.

Look, personally, I am really happy with how the Dragonfly came out and even the wife likes it (which is saying something!), so don't get me wrong - I am not in a state of self pity or self doubt. I'm still new here and my tastes vary wildly, so for me, it's still trial and error in seeing what works and what doesn't. That's all. Don't worry - I don't wear a tiara...... all the time  ;D

Si

I dunno. You might look good in a tiara!  ;D

This is still looking awesome and I learning a thing or two about texture from your build! Looking forward to seeing this one done!

Steady as she goes!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Enterprise © Bloc