Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Happens To Our Models When We Pass Away?  (Read 173 times)

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
What Happens To Our Models When We Pass Away?
« on: September 01, 2017, 05:43:37 pm »
Hi, Everyone!

Here are a couple of Fine Scale Modeler reader submissions (printed in the September 2017 edition) that deal with what can happen to built / unbuilt model collections.

It brings up a good topic, and it is certainly something to think about for many of us.

"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
Re: What Happens To Our Models When We Pass Away?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 07:56:22 pm »
My uncle already had arrangements for the bulk of his collection. His model club came and collected everything up, including the completed models he had. My husband and I will need to make some similar arrangements just in case.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 06:43:28 pm »
I have a lot of kits, as well as an ENORMOUS amount of Star Trek collectibles (as in every Playmate ship ever made, in fact 3 or 4 of some ships, and probably 80-85% of all the Playmates figures).

I always planned on giving all my Trek stuff and arcades to my oldest grandson, but to be honest I don't have anything in a will.  This thread made me think about that and I will be drafting something up to cover this.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 09:30:40 pm »
I saw this article in the magazine. It does make you think. Like the man in the article, I have no one to pass my collection to, unbuilt or otherwise. I guess it's something I should look into. If there's a modeling club in my area, I've never heard of it. Something else to investigate.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline billyk06010

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 11:31:16 pm »
Just for consideration:

Depending on the skill level of the kits, some could be donated to Children's Hospitals.

Others could be tagged as fundraising items for local community groups i.e. School, Sport, Scouts...or donated to after school programs

A single drop might be http://www.ipmsusa.org/support_the_troops/index.shtml

The ipms site also has a redirect to a couple of VA hospitals for donating to their therapy programs, but note every state has VA.

Offline Tritanium

• Ensign
  • There are always possibilities.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:16:34 pm »
The title of this thread caught my eye because I've thought about this very subject.  I thought about it because while I have a family, they don't share my enthusiasm for building.  They're nice about it, and they're encouraging, but I'm not sure they'd display my work proudly after I'm gone.  I don't fault them for it.  I can't force myself to be interested in something I'm not, either.

If I begin to amass a large collection, I could certainly approach members of a community like this and see if there's interest in preserving it after I go.  But I'm one builder among many, and there's work out there that's a lot better than mine.  That may not be the point, and maybe I'm missing something.  But the thought of my work returning to dust doesn't make me sad.

I think I'm kind of zen in that I believe all things are transitory.  The plastic will become brittle.  The boards and LEDs will burn out.  The decals will yellow and fade.  The kits I build are as mortal as I am.  In the end, the reason I build is for the experience of building.  I like holding the pieces in my hands and feeling their solidity and weight.  I like curves and textures and subtle differences in color and sheen.  I like going from a box full of rattling parts to a tiny representation of something enormous.  I like learning and growing as an artist.  And I like sitting back and enjoying the fruits of weeks and weeks of labor.  I can't communicate that joy to anyone else simply by passing on my finished builds.  That has to come from doing the work, which I encourage others to do if they have the interest.  The kits and the work I put into them bring me joy, and perhaps they bring some to the members of a forum like this as well by sharing pictures and stories of how they came to be.  And if that's all the good these models serve in their own brief lives, I think that can be enough.

Thoughts?

Tritanium

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 02:49:06 pm »
The kits and the work I put into them bring me joy, and perhaps they bring some to the members of a forum like this as well by sharing pictures and stories of how they came to be.  And if that's all the good these models serve in their own brief lives, I think that can be enough.

Thoughts?

Tritanium

Very well stated Tritanium....  I would guess that your sentiments match the thoughts of many fellow builders out here....

My GF says there should be a universal law that when someone dies all their material possessions would instantly vanish into dust along with the owner....  I'm not sure I would go that far for several reasons.

As for myself, I have explained to the potential survivor that my stash does have some value, and it would be silly not to attempt to sell them off. Strange but true that you sometimes can't give something away, but you can sell it!

I recently bought two warship models that came from an estate. The guy had an estimated 7000 kits in his basement and the executor had no clue what to do with them. She tried giving them to the local Goodwill, and VFW but they didn't want to deal with them. Eventually though she contacted hobby shops and a local "Doll House" shop made her an offer and sent a 40' truck.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline ClarkKent

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 11:22:48 pm »
I don't have 7000 kits but my 100 built and 350 unbuilt kits take up some room. I am a member of the local IPMS club and have told my wife to work with some of the members and they will help her sort it out. We have had members pass away and one of us has stepped up and helped to get the kits out there. The local club is probably the best way since they are aware of the value. I think a shop would offer pennies on the dollar in order to maximize their profits.

There is no simple answer here. I know it is difficult but maybe thin the stash to include kits you really think you will build. I have very few kits that are duplicates. Everything is one and I really do plan to build them all. But I know that is a dream.
If it don't fit, you must not quit.

Enterprise © Bloc