Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New member  (Read 97 times)

Offline Tritanium

• Ensign
  • There are always possibilities.
« on: September 03, 2017, 04:17:36 pm »
I've never done anything like this before.  Not that I've gone to an AA meeting, either, but it feels a little like what I've seen of that experience.

"My name is Chris, and I build models."

Or maybe confession.

"Bless me father, for I have been cementing and drilling holes and sanding things again."

First of all, my thanks to Boyd Crompton for putting all this together and for being my hero.  Not only are you a genius builder of scale models, but your videos have an enthusiasm and a wholesome, inviting quality that I'd probably watch even if I had no interest in models.  Kind of like Mr. Rogers for the hobbyist.  And I mean that as a compliment.  I had great respect and admiration for Fred Rogers.  Keep doing what you do, and exactly the way you do it.

As for me, my story is the same as many of yours.  I watched Kirk and Spock in syndication from a time before I can remember, and I built all the kits AMT had available.  Poorly, of course, because I was an impatient kid.  Now I'm middle-aged, my eyes aren't what they used to be and my hand isn't as steady as it once was.  But I have a lot more patience, better financial resources, amazing new technology, and a wealth of information online.  Last year, I picked up a TOS Enterprise in 1:650 scale.  I spent over four months of weekends and untold hours of research.  I learned a lot, reminisced a lot, and my interest in the hobby only grew.  My labor of love resulted in a kit that I can look at proudly, but I also know where I went wrong and what I would do differently in the future.  My next project is a 1:537 scale Reliant.  I've placed everything on order, including the kit, the lighting, the photo etch, the resin parts and the Aztec masks.  About half of it is here, and I can't wait to get going.

To all of you, thanks for being out there and for being helpful.  I look forward to seeking your help and sharing some of what I've learned along the way.

Tritanium

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:06:17 pm »
Welcome! This is a great place to learn!

You should post up your reliant build in the WIP section. Would be great to watch!
Phil

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:18:25 pm »
Hi Chris! Welcome! Look forward to seeing your work on the Reliant. Post lots of pics, too.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 11:18:14 pm »
Hi Chris!  Welcome to the boards, and don't be afraid to post pics of what you've built.  I've found the people around here don't tend to throw things much, and are actually quite supportive.  I'm looking forward to seeing your 1:650 Enterprise!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 05:14:08 am »
Welcome aboard Chris!
  Jump right in and have fun. It's a friendly laid back bunch around here ready and eager to help if you have any questions.
  Good luck on your Reliant...and like Dan said, post lots of pictures!  ;)
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 07:16:12 am »
Hi Chris

Welcome to the boards. ;D
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc