Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reliant Builds  (Read 119 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
Reliant Builds
« on: September 03, 2017, 06:39:56 pm »
I've been regrouping, organizing, and fixing some things I previously couldn't see.

I have the 537 Reliant sanded and ready to be repainted.  I also got my Enterprise2Reliant 350 scale conversion parts for the 350 Reliant build.  I'm debating on whether I should do an initial review of that kit and those parts.  I like to be honest but fair when I write a review.

Does anyone know a person that has actually finished a Don Shoko Reliant build?  I'd really like to see a thread with pictures or better yet a video.  I know Boyd started to make one but there are only two videos on his progress and then he switched to a Debeor kit, which I never saw any completion videos of that either.  I'm wondering if he abandoned these builds.

Tonight I am setting up my work bench PC and monitor system and hopefully I'll get some spraying done as well!

Offline Tritanium

• Ensign
  • There are always possibilities.
Re: Reliant Builds
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:24:18 pm »
Sounds like you might have to go where no man has gone before!

I don't know the Don Shoko kit, but I love the Reliant.  I'm about to start one myself in 1:537 scale.  I plan to post some of my step-by-step, so maybe I'll see you on the project threads.

Remember, there's a wealth of information here.  Maybe not specifically with that kit, but there are lots of talented builders here who know a lot about working with resin.  (It seems like that's the main challenge here.)  Take it one step at a time and learn as much as you can.

Good luck!

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:48:23 am »
Does anyone know a person that has actually finished a Don Shoko Reliant build?  I'd really like to see a thread with pictures or better yet a video.  I know Boyd started to make one but there are only two videos on his progress and then he switched to a Debeor kit, which I never saw any completion videos of that either.  I'm wondering if he abandoned these builds.

Here on this forum, members "manu" and "Caldonis" both own the Don Shoko 1:350 Reliant conversion kit.  Armando (who goes by "Armandodlc" here) may also have this kit by now.  I'm not sure of anyone else here who might have it.

I believe, however, that besides Boyd, nobody else here has actually attempted to build that kit yet.  Boyd himself has mentioned that he sent his kit over to Eliot Brown of Fedoratron to have extensive photoetch parts designed and made, and that is probably one of the reasons his build is currently held up.

When that photoetch set comes out, and if it becomes available to others, I think it would spur some project starts.  Lou Dalmaso of Aztek Dummy also owns this kit, and he has begun cleaning and prepping the parts, so there is a decent chance at custom paint masks being made available from him in the future.  That too would help to get people encouraged to start their builds.

:)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 12:45:19 pm »
Sounds like you might have to go where no man has gone before!

I don't know the Don Shoko kit, but I love the Reliant.  I'm about to start one myself in 1:537 scale.  I plan to post some of my step-by-step, so maybe I'll see you on the project threads.

Remember, there's a wealth of information here.  Maybe not specifically with that kit, but there are lots of talented builders here who know a lot about working with resin.  (It seems like that's the main challenge here.)  Take it one step at a time and learn as much as you can.

Good luck!
I agree there is a tremendous amount of talent and information on this forum!

I already have a Reliant WIP thread going.  It came to a halt when I lost my vision, but now that I have it back I am cleaning things up and moving forward with it.  I'll be using the Ardiuno Mega for my main control board for both of these builds.  The 537 is a practice run before I start my 350 build.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 02:02:21 pm »

Here on this forum, members "manu" and "Caldonis" both own the Don Shoko 1:350 Reliant conversion kit.  Armando (who goes by "Armandodlc" here) may also have this kit by now.  I'm not sure of anyone else here who might have it.

I believe, however, that besides Boyd, nobody else here has actually attempted to build that kit yet.  Boyd himself has mentioned that he sent his kit over to Eliot Brown of Fedoratron to have extensive photoetch parts designed and made, and that is probably one of the reasons his build is currently held up.

When that photoetch set comes out, and if it becomes available to others, I think it would spur some project starts.  Lou Dalmaso of Aztek Dummy also owns this kit, and he has begun cleaning and prepping the parts, so there is a decent chance at custom paint masks being made available from him in the future.  That too would help to get people encouraged to start their builds.

:)
I know of a few people that bought this conversion, but so far have not seen anyone complete it.  It isn't for the faint of heart that's for sure.  There is a ton of work needed.  It's also going to require a custom base and mount, maybe even threaded conduit for the mount-  the deckhouse is EXTREMELY heavy.

I am a little concerned that so many have bought this conversion yet nobody seems to have one done.   I'm thinking maybe it's more work than people can realistically do.  I understand this is a garage kit, but there are some pros and cons to the kit.  I'll do the cons first so it ends on the positive :)

Cons:
- Lots of flash.  I have other resin parts and I guess I was spoiled by them.  They too were 'garage' kits/parts but were really clean compared to these parts.   My parts even have flash that you can just run your fingers across and it comes off.  It's no big deal, I just felt for the cost of this kit some of this could have been cleaned up before shipping.
Edit:  After looking at the parts again, yes there is flash, No it is not excessive, yes it could have been cleaned up a little, and no I am not upset in the least.  This is a nice conversion kit, albeit it will take a lot of work and learned skills, but worth it :)

- LOTS of cutting to do!  I knew ahead of time that the deck house and bridge island needed the bottom area to be cut out as well as the Refit saucer needs some extensive cutting done.  There is other areas that need a lot of work and cutting too, specifically if you want to use the clear cast hanger bay doors you will need to cut both rear corner sections out of the deck house, fit the clear pieces, then putty them in without making it look like a hack job.  What makes this even more difficult is the top and bottom of the deck house is one piece, unlike the AMT 537 which is two.   Being one piece also makes adding the shuttle bay and any interior lights more difficult.

-Which brings up the next issue... Yes there are tubes in the support pylons for the nacelles, but the photon torpedo housing at the center of the rollbar is also one piece.  It looks like the sides need to be opened up for the rollbar to attach, and Don told me this piece is hollow, but even when those side holes are opened for the rollbar, it is going to be next to impossible to get lights in there for the strobe and photons.

So the biggest cons and hurdles are going to be the shuttle bays and photon torpedo housing.  I am looking into having these parts cut into two sections so they can be worked on and then assembled, but as we all know the more cuts you have means more seams and more areas that can potentially look bad.  In fact I already know the shuttle bay doors/deck house corners is beyond my ability, so I am looking for someone to do some commission work on a few things like that.

The other con is probably the weight.  Like I said this thing is MONSTEROUSLY heavy!  I'd say the deck house piece alone probably weighs more than a completed 350 Refit!

Now the Pros...

- This thing is MONSTEROUS in size!!!!  The deck house alone is bigger than the 537 Reliant deck house and saucer.  once completed it is going to be impressive!

- Other than the DeBoer Reliant or the Artisian Replica, there is no other 350 scale Reliant kit out there.  It is also a fraction of the price of the others.

- Detail is pretty good and looks clean.  It has all the windows recessed so no templates are needed to drill them out.   Bridge detail and the B/C decks look good as well.

I spoke to Don via email and he said there are some people that are working on photo etch parts as well as paint masks for this kit and Don will provide that information when they are done.  The kit comes with basic decals and that's about it.  I see no reason why for at least the saucer section that some of the decals as well as the paint masks for the Refit couldn't be used.  Also the Refit masks will work for the nacelles since those are also donor parts from the Refit hit.

Cutting the saucer shouldn't be that difficult since it looks like the cuts are mainly along the grid lines.  Still caution will be needed or it could end up a very expensive mistake.  Same for the deck house shuttle bays... extreme caution in this area or a $300 conversion kit could easily become trash.

I have to finish a couple 537 Reliant builds, and then I think I am going to do the 350 NX-01, or maybe work on some BSG stuff.  I'm going to really have to hone my skills for the 350 Reliant, mainly in the cutting and puttying area.  I'm not ashamed to admit that I might just pay someone to do the cutting and putty work for me and then I can just build it like a huge 537 kit :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:46:55 am by whb64 »

Enterprise © Bloc