Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Quick Review of the 350 Scale Enterprise2Reliant Conversion Kit  (Read 441 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
Quick Review of the 350 Scale Enterprise2Reliant Conversion Kit
« on: September 08, 2017, 02:21:36 am »
Here's a quick review of the Enterprise2Reliant conversion kit from Don Shoko http://www.donshoko.com/reliant/index.shtml

Top of the rear deck house
This part is HUGE- 15.5" front to back, and 14.75" side to side at the widest point.

Here is the bottom of the deck house

Side view of the deck house
As can be seen the windows are nice and clean and deeply recessed.  They will be super easy to drill out.  Probably the easiest part of doing this build!

Shot showing part of the front and how much cutting needs to be done

Rear of the deck house

Closeup of the top of the deck house

Remaining parts- smalls, bridge, and rollbar
You can see some of the flash I mentioned in another thread.  It's not horrible, but there is a lot of it.

Size comparison to the AMT 537 scale Reliant
The deck house alone of the Enterprise2Reliant is bigger than the 537 saucer and deck house!

Bottom size comparison

Closeup of the bottom of the deck house

Closeup of rollbar and smalls

Clear cast parts

Clear cast closeups

Clear cast shuttle bay test fit (I'm pretty sure I have the side walls upside down... oops!)
The shuttle bays look like they will go together pretty easy.

Photon Torpedo Module

Side of the Photon module- As can be seen this is cast in one piece and needs to be cut open to fit the rollbar and to gain access to the inside for installing lights.   Other than the cutting of the Polar Lights saucer, this will be the second hardest part to do as far as lighting.

And lastly, an idea of the size with the saucer

And a comparison of the nacelles from the Polar Light 350 Refit and the AMT 537 Reliant
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:31:19 am by whb64 »

Offline whb64

• Captain
Re: Quick Review of the 350 Scale Enterprise2Reliant Conversion Kit
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 02:27:27 am »
This is going to be one intensive build, and to be honest I probably won't start until sometime next year.

After looking at the clear parts, I already decided I am not going to be cutting out the shuttle bay doors and corners of the deck house.  Mainly because the opaque cast doors have the detail on the edge of the openings, the clear cast parts don't.  Again after looking at the kit, it shouldn't be too hard to open up the grills on the corners of the deck house.  Overall I think it will be easier to open the grills and cut out the door openings than it will be to cut the deck house apart, glue in the clear parts, putty, and hope it looks okay.

As I mentioned in the other thread, this is going to be HEAVY!  The deck house alone feels like it weighs a couple pounds!

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 03:37:54 pm »
From what I understand that there is a photo-etch set in the works for this. It will address the issues with the poorly cast hangar door section
and add some additional detail! Nothing in stone yet. Just hear say. But, from a reliable source!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:30:59 pm »
Same here...  A reliable source told me a photoetch set is being worked on as well as paint masks.

I am still very interested to find any links to someone that has actually built one of these.  I scoured the web and couldn't find anything.  I found a few places where people started the build but haven't found any sites that show the completed kit and details of the build.  That's telling me this is going to take some time to finish.

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 07:25:21 pm »
Well, there is a build of this going on over at the Resin Illuminati board! But, since Photo Bucket
pulled their crap the pics no longer work!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:31:46 pm »
Thanks Kenny, I'll have to sign up over there.  I can't search or anything until I am a member. 

The photobucket thing really sucks and hit a lot of sites hard.  All my threads when I was a moderator/admin on a Home Theater forum are trashed now, it's all over the web.  I'm not one for forcing companies to do things, but in this case since it impacts so many sites PhotoBucket should be made to restore all links made prior to this change and not allow any more unless it's their premium account.

Anyway, do you know when that build was started?  Was it relatively recent (the past year) or is it an old thread?  And did they every finish it? 
I spoke to Don Shoko and I am getting some tips/info on doing this build.  I found out a couple of interesting things.  First he acknowledged how heavy this kit will be when done and said it is intended to have an internal support structure and custom mount.  So far though no details on what either of those entail.

I noticed what looks like a seam on the deck house and Don confirmed it was originally in two pieces like the AMT kit.  He ended up casting it in one piece for cost and ease of production reasons.  So that means I am going to do the unthinkable and end up cutting the deck house in two sections.  I'd rather pay someone to do some commission work to do this since I could easily destroy a $300 kit with one bad cut.

Don said the people working on  the masks and photo etch would rather remain nameless for now until they are done.  That's understandable since people would start inundating them with emails for information and status.  The good thing is people are working on it.

This is going to be one complex build that's for sure.  It's going to give my engineering background a workout that's for sure!  Right now I'm thinking about using balsa wood for the internal support structure to cut down on weight.   This is going to take a while to get done but hopefully it will be the show piece in my collection.

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 09:45:42 am »
I just looked at the thread on the Resin Illuminati board. the build started October 2015 and ended late 2016.
It was not finished!!

I know the people working on the upgrades. That is why I did not reveal their names!!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 11:51:38 am »
I just looked at the thread on the Resin Illuminati board. the build started October 2015 and ended late 2016.
It was not finished!!

I know the people working on the upgrades. That is why I did not reveal their names!!
That's what concerns me.  I haven't found anyone that has finished one.  I'm sure it can be done, but it does concern me that I can't find a completed one.  Maybe everyone is waiting for the masks/decals and photo etch??

Offline Harumph

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 03:03:48 pm »
I have one of these, and speaking for myself, I am indeed waiting for decals, masks, and photo etch.  It is an excellently made item, but there are areas where the the detailing is a little soft, like the deck house, and it can be easily addressed with photo etch parts.  I will also admit that I'm uncertain how to deal with the torpedo module, as it is completely solid and will be difficult to light.  I'm hoping someone will come along with some brilliant solution for it.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 03:29:45 pm »
Yeah the torpedo module is going to be tough.  It needs to be opened up for the rollbar to attach so maybe there will be enough room to fish some LEDs in using tweezers.  At least I hope so.  Worse case it will have to be cut in two like the 537 parts.

Do you have the shuttle bay kit?  If not it's actually pretty nice.  The problem I have with mine is there is a ton of resin that pooled up in the back of the deck house in big globs.  There isn't any way I'm going to be able to grind and sand it down without cutting the deck house in two pieces.  Don confirmed the line I found running along the sides and back is indeed a seam line from the master parts.  It was originally made in two pieces but he said for cost reasons he ended up casting it in one piece. 

How are you planning on attaching the refit saucer and have you figured out a base and mount that will support the weight?  Don also said it was intended to have an internal support structure, and I can see why.  Without one I can see it eventually breaking in half over time from its own weight.  I'm thinking of a metal plate in the bottom of the saucer and bottom deck house and then drilling a hole and using a tap to thread in some conduit.   I don't think the standard lamp post is going to cut it for a mounting post... I could be wrong though. 

Oh last question, do you have a build thread here or elsewhere so I can see what you've done so far and how you handled things?

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 07:21:13 am »
Well, there is a build of this going on over at the Resin Illuminati board! But, since Photo Bucket
pulled their crap the pics no longer work!
Not sure why, but Resin Illuminati never approved my membership request.  Are they accepting new members?

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 01:19:08 pm »
While I love that this exists that's just so much work to open it up, gut the center, run wires etc I'd be afraid to start one. Also is it just the photos or are the shuttle bays uneven? It looks like the angle on the outer edge is larger than the center edge.

If you do decide to tackle this I wish you all the best, I'd love to see a completed kit like everyone else. I've not seen one anywhere online.
-Dave

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 01:24:00 pm »
I never noticed that.  Next time I have it out of the box I'll measure it with my micrometer.

It is possible it isn't even, there is a noticeable 'hump' or rise on the port side of the deck house at the front.

Enterprise © Bloc