Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question on lighting Black Hole's V.I.N.CENT MPC model  (Read 88 times)

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
Question on lighting Black Hole's V.I.N.CENT MPC model
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:14:23 am »
A friend sent me the link to something cool he found on a starship lighting group on FacePalm. It's a lighting kit for MPC's V.I.N.CENT kit.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/241417839384237/permalink/699307090261974/

I am told that these are sold for about 50 pounds. Is this something that could be more cheaply replicated with one of these arduino devices that is discussed on here?

Basically, this is a series of many lights that chase from one end to the other. The position of the lights can be situated on a particle board or something, cut to the size of the robot's display screen.

I'm learning how to use a 555 timer chip, but I don't know if it can control a series of lights like this. Is the Arduino a better choice?

Offline madmonk

• Commander
Re: Question on lighting Black Hole's V.I.N.CENT MPC model
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 09:09:12 am »
Arduino would be better than using 555 timers, the programme wouldn't be that difficult, the issue is having enough outputs to run all the LEDs, the Uno or Nano would give you 18 outputs so you could do something similar but with less LEDs.

The programme would only need to be a simple chaser.

Offline greg

• Commander
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:17:21 am »
Thanks for the feedback. I really do not know anything about Arduinos, especially  not the maximum number of LEDs they are capable of implementing. I do not know what an Uno or Nano is, but I'll have to look into that.

So you just copy the code into an ASCII file onto the Arduino through a USB port, I assume? Then once it's loaded, you just wire up the LEDs to it?

Offline madmonk

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:07:18 am »
You need to write the programme using the Arduino package.

Have a look on the Arduino site https://www.arduino.cc/ should give you all you need to know.

There are simple chaser programmes online like this http://rookieelectronics.com/led-chaser-using-arduino/

Offline greg

• Commander
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 05:38:48 am »
Thank you. This is a good first place to look. I know of one electronics shop in Maebashi city south from where I live that sells Arduinos. Maybe I can find what I'm looking for there.

Enterprise © Bloc