Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Greeting to all  (Read 95 times)

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Ensign
Greeting to all
« on: September 11, 2017, 05:43:03 am »
As the title says "Greetings to all",

My name is Patrick and live in the Netherlands, i'm very new here and to modeling in general.
About a half year ago i rolled into the 3D printer hobby and one thing led to another. After seeing a Danube class Runabout model on twitter i wanted to have my own.
After printing a model at about 4.3 inches i wanted more.

I started working on a 300% scaled model of the same Runabout and so created my very first model at 13 inches long. Off course this model needed lights and so i started searching for video's on youtube and came across the video's of Boyd. At at that point there was no turning back.

Right now i have build 2 of the Runabout ships, one for me and an improved one for an uncle who is also into Trek and sci fi. Of this latter one i'm editing a few video's of the construction. And will share that in a w.i.p. topic.

Having a 3D printer is fun, but it can't compete with the models I've seen Boyd build and here in the forums, so last Friday i caved and got my first real model.
The 1:667 Voyager by Revell. Work on this has only just begone and thus i'm in the progress of drilling out all the windows as so many others have done before me.
Naturally this build will get its w.i.p. topic.

For now time to do some more research on painting the model (never really panted a model before, the Runabout was printed in its base color and only needed some details) thinking of wanting to spray the model, but to start with spraycans instead of going full out on a airbrush kit at the start.

Still in the early stages of model making for me...
3D printing enthusiast - Model making noob - SciFi fanatic
Currently building the U.S.S. Voyager model kit by Revell

Offline karve

• Admiral
Re: Greeting to all
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 03:11:58 pm »
Welcome aboard Patrick!
  Jump right in and have fun. Lots of good folks here ready to help out so don't be afraid to ask questions.
  I did that Voyager model a couple years ago. It was fun for the most part. I had a couple of issues along the way but they were mostly my own fault.  ::)
  Overall it turned out pretty well. It's a good kit to work on.
I'm looking forward to seeing your work!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:19:38 am »
Thank you Kevin.

It's indeed not a question of if there will be questions, but rather when  :P
For now i should have the most parts ordered, and yesterday i completed drilling out all the windows. A little cleanup still needed as that i don't have a file that small, but the scalpel did a nice job for 99%.

In the meantime i will be continuing to examine the other build here to gain a little insight into building.

Offline Tritanium

• Ensign
  • There are always possibilities.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 02:22:49 pm »
Welcome, Patrick!  Can we see pictures of your 3D printer models?  Sounds interesting!

Offline AlW

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 06:13:37 pm »
Great to have you join scifimodelaction, Patrick!  With your 3D printing experience you're actually ahead of many of us!  So, we're looking forward to your builds and insights and anxious to see how you might convert more accurate parts to 3D models for printing.  Welcome aboard!

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 07:05:17 pm »
Thanks guys!

If there is one thing for sure, it

Enterprise © Bloc