Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Smoothy" USS Enterprise (1/537 mk.II)  (Read 185 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
"Smoothy" USS Enterprise (1/537 mk.II)
« on: September 12, 2017, 05:43:19 am »
Here we go again.

After watching MattA's superb 1/537 refit build and after speaking to Don/DLM yesterday I just had to dust this one off and make a start on my second attempt at this kit after the first one bit the dust (still don't know what happened to it to this day).

All that was salvaged from the first build was the saucer sections and the rest was scrapped. I had installed most of the navs/strobes in the upper saucer and was about to do the same to the lower when that mysterious accident occurred (blaming the cat TBH).

I had used the DLM accurate A/B/C deck parts in my saucer and I thought it was going pretty well. The only part I am not happy with is the officer deck windows but I reckon with some careful/precise sanding I could get it up to an acceptable standard.

I also have all the JT graphic sets so I plan on using the lounge decals on those windows once I get them sorted and that band around the deck painted. I had also got Jerry's/HDA's stongback/deflector housing set which was ruined in the last one so I will have to order that up again at some point soon. The JT Graphics set comes with the appropriate decals for the deflector and so forth but I like Jerry's as they are much more vibrant. I will also need to order up his aztec decal set as well (just as well Christmas is coming so I can ask Santa for a few things!).

Going to have some work to do on the planetary sensor (another DLM part) but that just seems to be seam work and attending to any light leaks that occur.

Like I said a lot of the saucer lighting had already been installed so there is'nt much electrical work to be done there apart from the lower saucer nav lights and the internal saucer lighting but hopefully that won't take too long and I have all the supplied needed.

Another DLM part from the mk.I is the impulse deck which was already installed and good to go.

I also plan on lighting the flux grills and once again I hope that Don/DLM will be able to supply those parts after speaking to him last night. The major part though will be the deflector housing as without that this build will go nowhere but Don will be casting that part soon.

This is just a wee introduction to my next build as I just had to drag this one back into the light after being glued to Matt's superb build and seeing what he was doing. I still have major work to do on the big Star Destroyer but I will be ordering up the HDA decals come next pay day and hope to make a concerted start sometime next month.

I hope you come along for the journey.

Thanks again Matt for giving me the inspiration to get going on what was once a lost cause.
Iain

Online whb64

• Captain
Re: "Smoothy" USS Enterprise (1/537 mk.II)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:31:00 am »
TK Ian you did a great job on the seams for the DLM parts!

I also have the DLM B/C deck part and the one thing I didn't like was that the officer lounge windows aren't cut out.  Other than that the casting is superb. It's not that big of a deal though in my opinion since there is a photoetch window part for this area.  Looking at my part it does look like a little more work is needed to cut the window area out, but definitely doable.  I noticed the Federation Models B/C deck already has the windows opened up.  I may order their part to see if it would be easier to work with.  Anyway there is a photoecth piece for the officer's lounge (which I'm sure you already knew) so that area shouldn't be a big deal.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:46:04 am »
Thanks whb64.

Do you have a link for that Federation Models B/C deck part?
Iain

Online whb64

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:30:11 am »

There isn't a direct link, here is the url for Federation Models.  It is under Products/PNT
http://www.federationmodels.com/

$7.50... not a bad price.  I am ordering a couple myself :)

The DLM parts are nice and details are sharp and crisp.  The main difference is the rear windows are not opened up and will take some work to look nice.  I have ordered from both and Federation Models also has nice clean parts.  The main difference I would say is shipping time.  Federation Models took a little less than 2 weeks for my parts to arrive, DLM took much longer.  Both have good quality parts though.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:59:04 am »
Awesome!  Show it who's boss!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:08:31 am »
Awesome!  Show it who's boss!

Thanks Matt.

Will be a couple of weeks/a month before I can get into it with any purpose as I still have to order up some parts and the decals. And I still have the big Star Destroyer to finish. Been looking at the kit and planning though. Made a mess of the cut away for the DLM impulse deck but nothing some plasticard and putty can' fix - wouldn't be fun otherwise.
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 12:24:02 pm »
Iain, I would banish any cats, dogs, snakes or goldfish from your house until you have completed this one! :D

I too am looking forward to seeing what you will do this one - again!

Stay Strong!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 03:02:05 pm »
Thanks guys.

Will be awhile before I start but just wanted to give you a heads up. Might have to do another Batmobile first for a friend.

Steve - if anything with more than two legs goes near this "smoothy" it DIES! ;)

If all goes well with the 1/537 I am seriously toying with putting money aside when I can to get her 1/350 big sister and joining the club.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:09:51 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 04:43:23 pm »
c'mon, do the 350... do it do it do it!!

I still love this pic showing the size differences: 

Offline krieg.17

• Captain
  • FIRE!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 07:07:13 pm »
If I can finish mine, with all the disasters, you can too!
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 02:32:41 am »
Thanks guys.

Matt - that pic was what got me on the 350 trail again - just want to get some more experience is using masks before possibly taking on the big girl.
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 09:05:26 am »
Well! ;D

This build will have to go on hold for a bit as my mum has got me the re-issued 1/350 refit for my Christmas. :)
Iain

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 12:54:54 pm »
Why build one when you can build two at twice the price?  :D

I say build both! 

Seriously, though, the 350 is vastly superior in every way than the 537.  It's a bit more difficult, as details tend to stick out in your face a lot more, but it really is a joy once it starts to go together. 

Are you going to use the aztec decals or paint on using the 4-color method?

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 02:40:01 pm »
Thanks Matt!

Going to go the full 4 colour aztecs as soon as Jerry/HDA releases his aztec masks.
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc