Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TOS E Warp Engine Lighting Effect - Custom Solution  (Read 2621 times)

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
Re: TOS E Warp Engine Lighting Effect - Custom Solution
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 12:47:25 pm »
Yup, I agree, I've noticed the motors I've tested get MUCH louder when attached to the plastic.  I love your solution.

Again, thanks so much for sharing this information!

-Rich

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 01:18:58 pm »
Yup, I agree, I've noticed the motors I've tested get MUCH louder when attached to the plastic.  I love your solution.

Again, thanks so much for sharing this information!

-Rich

You're most welcome!

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 08:39:25 am »
I'm getting there, I still have to install the LEDs......

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 09:18:41 am »
I'm getting there, I still have to install the LEDs......

Awesome! So cool to see someone else use my boards! Keep us posted on your progress.

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 10:14:25 am »
Awesome! So cool to see someone else use my boards! Keep us posted on your progress.

I certainly will.

I did notice a difference in the arduino boards, it seems to differ from the one in your photo in that there is now SW1 and there is a 2 lead connector instead of the 3 lead connector.  I see a couple small holes where SW1 would have been, I assume I leave those alone?

Thanks!
-Rich

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 10:20:44 am »

I certainly will.

I did notice a difference in the arduino boards, it seems to differ from the one in your photo in that there is now SW1 and there is a 2 lead connector instead of the 3 lead connector.  I see a couple small holes where SW1 would have been, I assume I leave those alone?

Thanks!
-Rich

You are correct, Rich - the one in my photos represent the original use with the code to pulse the amber LEDs being on a different board off ship. Since I got the pulsing working on the Arduino (along with the blinkies), you only need 2-lead connector to run the board (+5V & GND). The switch SW1 on my personal board is there to let me switch between the Arduino and the code from the off-ship board if I want.

BTW, those small holes are called "Vias" and they connect signals from one side of the board to the other (If you hold the board up to the light at an angle you can make out the traces). Nothing is done with those - you just leave them as-is.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:22:35 am by RossW »

Offline rmpitzer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 10:31:32 am »
You are correct, Rich - the one in my photos represent the original use with the code to pulse the amber LEDs being on a different board off ship. Since I got the pulsing working on the Arduino (along with the blinkies), you only need 2-lead connector to run the board (+5V & GND). The switch SW1 on my personal board is there to let me switch between the Arduino and the code from the off-ship board if I want.

BTW, those small holes are called "Vias" and they connect signals from one side of the board to the other (If you hold the board up to the light at an angle you can make out the traces). Nothing is done with those - you just leave them as-is.

Great, thanks!  I'm sure I'll have more questions.  This is something totally new to me, I've never done any SMD soldering before, and consider myself almost legally stupid when it comes to electronics.  :P . I did purchase an SMD Practice Board from Amazon, and put that together and it actually worked, so I am hopeful I can manage to make this work too.   :)

-Rich

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 10:40:02 am »

Great, thanks!  I'm sure I'll have more questions.  This is something totally new to me, I've never done any SMD soldering before, and consider myself almost legally stupid when it comes to electronics.  :P . I did purchase an SMD Practice Board from Amazon, and put that together and it actually worked, so I am hopeful I can manage to make this work too.   :)

-Rich

Good luck! For soldering SMD components, I do this:

• Tin or pre-solder one pad of the SMD component
  • Place the component on the board and hold in place (for resistors, I use tweezers; for larger components I set up something to push down on it)
  • Heat the pad that was pre-tinned, pushing the component down to get it flat and holding until the solder cools
  • Solder remaining pins
  • Add more solder to the first pin to ensure good contact

Offline Spencer

• Physicist and Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 11:29:06 am »
Very very nice!

I had been toying around with something similar, but instead put a surface mount Attiny85 an the back of each board to run 5 random blinkers.

This looks MUCH nicer though!

Spencer

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 11:58:16 am »
Very very nice!

I had been toying around with something similar, but instead put a surface mount Attiny85 an the back of each board to run 5 random blinkers.

This looks MUCH nicer though!

Spencer

Thanks Spencer!

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 03:15:06 pm »
Ross, can you do a sound video to demonstrate how quiet these motors are?  I've seen small, quiet 60 RPM motors in action, but still haven't found any to buy.
MarkW
"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 03:27:16 pm »
Ross, can you do a sound video to demonstrate how quiet these motors are?  I've seen small, quiet 60 RPM motors in action, but still haven't found any to buy.

https://youtu.be/ghhA6c6YIwI

These are Faulhaber motors I got on eBay (they're used). At the RPM range needed for the TOS E, they're barely perceptible.

The lighting board here is a much older one than what I posted above, btw. And I balanced out the intensity so you can see the coloured blinkies.

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 03:56:36 pm »
Very nice!  The original kit ones are terrible.
MarkW
"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline RossW

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 08:39:42 pm »
BTW, I will soon be posting my board and code for the main TOS E board that controls the blinking running lights (saucer), the strobes on the rear sides of the secondary hull, and the warp engine motor speed controller - all in one! Just need to get the prototypes back from the PCB house and do a video or two.

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 01:13:22 am »
I will soon be posting my board and code for the main TOS E board that controls the blinking running lights (saucer), the strobes on the rear sides of the secondary hull, and the warp engine motor speed controller - all in one! Just need to get the prototypes back from the PCB house and do a video or two.

I can't wait to see what you came up with!

Thanks again for sharing your work with all of us.  :)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Enterprise © Bloc