Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Danube Class Runabout 1/70 - 3D printed  (Read 274 times)

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
Danube Class Runabout 1/70 - 3D printed
« on: September 17, 2017, 02:36:43 pm »
A couple of weeks ago i completed the second revision of a Runabout project i adapted from a 3D design i found on Thingiverse.
I always new since getting a 3D printer that using it to print a Star Trek model was only a question of time and indeed so it happend that i printed a little model of 11cm long (4.3 inches)

As i would guess every person on this forum already knows, bigger is always better! Especially when you want to light up the model and so a project was born.

As a complete noob to model making i ventured into the realm and started by adapting the design of the smaller Runabout and slicing it for printing.
Long story short, i printed, build and lid my model and once my uncle saw that model, he immediately said "I want one!". Well okay, gasp,  :o

On a second note i had got the request from the 3D printing community that they wanted to replicate my work and also build the model, so as an extra difficulty level, i needed to make my build progress repeatable for others. As if model making wasn't hard enough. Well okay, i'm a big boy, lets get started.

I've chosen to make a 5 part video series for the entire build of this Runabout and for the interested people i would suggest to watch these video's, or at least the finale to view the model in all its glory! Link to the playlist below.

The pictures i'l post here are from the build, but again the completed build is only in video, because i forgot to take a few good photo's before bringing the model to my uncle.
I do have pictures of my own Runabout but that one is by far inferior to the second revision.

Link to the video log series

The first 5 photo's are of revision one (my personal build)
In this version i used a paint brush for the coloring of the two tone cockpit, and used clearly the wrong paint. Luckily i reasonably saved the look with an extra printed window overlay.

The next 5 are of the second build (my uncle's build)
And here i used a spray can to paint the cockpit, and then used window inserts that i designed and printed with black plastic, so that i could ensure that the window lines would be perfectly straight.

I appreciate any comments on the build, i know i have a lot to learn and so i'm reading a lot of topics here, expecially on the voyager build with the Revell sets. Because i'm currently building that model. (because yes i'm afraid i've contracted the bug of wanting to build a full blown starship, and no that would be to difficult to print that model myself, so opted for the Revell set  ;) )

Offline Tiburon

• Captain
Re: Danube Class Runabout 1/70 - 3D printed
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 03:00:56 pm »
VERY nice work!!!

I think 3D modeling is the next gen of model building for our community. In 20 years I bet just about everyone will have a printer to print their own builds!

This build is truly 'next level' work!

Looking forward to your finished voyager.
Phil

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 04:08:37 pm »
Thanks Tiburon (Phil),

Building this was real fun, but having a completely hollow stock model is a lot nicer when trying to light it, then a 3D printed one that has a lot of infill in it.

Just to clarify here are some pictures of the build process that outline the printing of the individual sections that i needed to open up for the installation of the electronics.

So opening up the sections in a completely printed model is something of a waste as far as material goes.

But having that said, looking at the other side of it what i'm doing now with the Voyager build is, that i design parts for the voyager to help me in the build.
Think of a custom peace that hold an LED for the bussard collectors that also shields the red light from the blue in the nacelles.
Or a "wall" that can be placed behind the deflector that seporates the interior lighting from the blue led strip for the dish. It can bit perfectly.
I even have recreated the larger windows (a sort of Photoetch alternative) for my build.

But i will place that in a work in progress thread asap.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:50:07 am »
What brand and model printer do you have?

Offline Cpt-Spekkie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 07:26:20 am »
My printer is based on the Anet A8 (cheap china clone of a Prusa I3) although i have rebuild it with an aluminum profile frame for stability.

Enterprise © Bloc