Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small Rant :)  (Read 144 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
Small Rant :)
« on: September 20, 2017, 03:23:05 pm »
I miss the day when there were local hobby stores, more specifically model hobby stores.

When I lived in Maryland there was a hobby store that had EVERYTHING.  You name it that had it.  Kits, supplies, anything you needed.
I don't mind waiting a few days for a kit to arrive, but I hate the idea of running out of something or needing a specific paint and the only place to get it is online.  I know it's part of the hobby now, I just miss being able to run down to the local store and buy a bottle of paint or something I am running low on.  Now everything has to be planned out, inventoried so if you even remotely start running low on something you have to place an order and then wait.  What I hate the most is when I want or need something I didn't plan on and then it puts everything on a week (or longer) hold.  Then there is shipping... an item may cost slightly more if it is available locally, but shipping costs often double the price of an item.  Or you have to buy more than you need to get free shipping or just to negate the shipping.

Rant over...  I just wish I could run down to the local store when I need a single item.

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
Re: Small Rant :)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:06:55 pm »
Back in the late-90s and into the early-2000s, a successful physical retail store could simply say "oh, we're on the Web too."  Unfortunately, things are so much different now where the store has to be extremely successful online first and foremost in order to justify the existence of a physical outlet.

For any business that supports products that are in a state of overall sales decline, it's foolish to be ignorant or arrogant enough to believe that "I'm going to do things the old fashioned way to make it work."  Modern business can no longer survive by previously-earned reputation or even good word of mouth.  Retailers today have to be very savvy with being on the Internet and with social media, actively engaging with people on an almost daily basis.  However, a lot of old-school hobby store owners just do not have that kind of drive or skill to modernize their brand, and I personally believe that is what causes the start of eventual failure.

If we don't go online for our shopping needs, now all many of us are left with are franchise-based stores (many of which also struggle financially) or large chain all-encompassing super stores.  Humans by nature love the convenience of things, and that's why online shopping is where things are at now.  Much of the time you just can't beat the deals and the selection that are out there.

But like you, I too miss the local hobby stores of days gone by.
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:21:18 pm »
I agree with everything you said Gadgetron.

Model building has become such a small niche market it simply isn't economically viable for a local store to sell model kits and supplies.  There are a few train shops in my area, but they are starting to close up too.  I'm not mad or overly frustrated or anything like that, just saying I miss those days.  I don't even mind if an online store has fast shipping.  Again it's not as nice as being able to zip down to the local hobby shop, but fast shipping is always a plus to me.  That's why I always do a small order the first time I purchase something from an online company I  never dealt with before.  That way I can see how long shipping takes.  Some places take days, almost a week just to process the order and pull it from the warehouse, while other companies (smaller businesses) often process the same day.   It's a different product line, but the company I order my restaurant supplies from is extremely fast.  I can order on a Thursday night late, and the item is delivered by Monday!  I've ordered parts, paint, kits and it's taken anywhere from 4-5 days to months!

I sometimes wonder if the day will come that model building will be a thing of the past.  I certainly hope not, but fewer people are doing it.  I'm trying to get my grandson interested in model building, but he'd rather spend ever waking hour playing video games.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:27:16 pm »
Also this...

Is anyone else like this?  Sometimes you just want to browse a store and see what they have and when you find something interesting you snag it.  Sometimes I have a project and a general idea of what I want/need but when I am looking at things I decide what to try.  Also if I get something and it isn't what I expected, no big deal if it's cheap, I could just run back out the next day and grab something else.

LOL then again, if there was a local hobby shop I'd probably end up spending way too much money there!  I did find out there is a Hobby Lobby but it is almost 90 minutes one way.  Anyone live near a Hobby Lobby?  Are they usually pretty well stocked and is it worth a 3 hour round trip drive?

Offline RockyD88

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 09:22:11 am »
we have a hobby lobby and I use then a lot for paint, thinners , sanding sticks and paper, and they have a decent selection of kits plus a 40% off coupon from time to time

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:41:46 pm »
I don't think I woud drive 90 minutes one way for a Hobby Lobby. In all honesty, you're probably better off shopping onling from them and using the 40% off coupon for your online purchase, if it's a single item purchase. Unless you drive a Prius, that is. ;) I have a HL within 30 minutes, so it's almost a toss up driving or online. The difference is you won't get the clearance items online like you do when you walk in and browse. I'm kind of lucky to have a decent hobby shop within 30 minutes drive. I always end up spending more than I should there, but you need to support the local shops when possible, because they are a dying market. I miss the days of my kid youth, when I had a dedicated hobby shop in my local downtown. And there were several places that sold kits of all types. Ah, the good old days.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 09:53:20 pm »
I agree with everything you said Gadgetron.

Model building has become such a small niche market it simply isn't economically viable for a local store to sell model kits and supplies.  There are a few train shops in my area, but they are starting to close up too.  I'm not mad or overly frustrated or anything like that, just saying I miss those days.  I don't even mind if an online store has fast shipping.  Again it's not as nice as being able to zip down to the local hobby shop, but fast shipping is always a plus to me.  That's why I always do a small order the first time I purchase something from an online company I  never dealt with before.  That way I can see how long shipping takes.  Some places take days, almost a week just to process the order and pull it from the warehouse, while other companies (smaller businesses) often process the same day.   It's a different product line, but the company I order my restaurant supplies from is extremely fast.  I can order on a Thursday night late, and the item is delivered by Monday!  I've ordered parts, paint, kits and it's taken anywhere from 4-5 days to months!

I sometimes wonder if the day will come that model building will be a thing of the past.  I certainly hope not, but fewer people are doing it.  I'm trying to get my grandson interested in model building, but he'd rather spend ever waking hour playing video games.

I don't think model building will disappear. It's just evolved as far as where the product is available. It's that way for many things today. Remember when CDs were the hottest thing since cold soda? Not that long ago, but now they are almost passe. Digital downloads have essentially replaced the disc. I talked to a hobby shop owner a couple of years ago and he said the largest 4-H club in his county was a model building club. He was a contest judge for the annual shindigs, so his was an informed opinion. But the hobby has skewed older in the last couple of decades, that's for sure. Perhaps the attention to accuracy and detail has turned off the younger crowd, with their instant results mindset nowadays. 
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 06:26:30 am »
Perhaps the attention to accuracy and detail has turned off the younger crowd, with their instant results mindset nowadays.

I agree Dan. I've tried a couple of times to get a couple of my grandkids to start a simple Enterprise build with me. Both times it lasted about ten minutes before they got the fidgets and wanted to know when it was going to be done. Kids aren't wired for patience any more. They like the kits I've done and always say they want to do it but when it comes time they either want me to do all the work or they want to snap their fingers and have it done in ten minutes.
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Enterprise © Bloc