Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: In between builds...  (Read 91 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
In between builds...
« on: September 21, 2017, 08:46:56 pm »
How many of you have multiple builds going at the same time?  Or work on another kit while putty or pint is drying?

I have a couple going, mainly to fill the void of down time.  I will admit though that doing all this putty work, cutting Aztec paint mask and applying them, testing paint colors for the best match... well after awhile all that gets a bit boring. 

I decided to step away from my Reliant , not for long, just a mental break and I started working on a Colonial Viper during the Reliant drying and down time.  It's a really nice kit, and super simple from what I see in the instructions.  Lighting will be a breeze too, no headaches there, just six LEDs total. It will be fun to build and a much needed mental break and recharge.  The Reliant is weeks away from being finished, at least at this rate.  This way I can get some visual gratification by seeing a completed kit after all these years of being out of the game.

Does anyone else do this?  Take small breaks and work on a quick and easy build, or have multiple builds going?

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: In between builds...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:47:43 am »
whb64, I understand the question, but I guess I'm not wired to think in multiple projects.

I tend to focus on one at a time. I sorta feel like I'm cheating on my main build if I attempt to do something else in between. It's like "Why are you spending time on this when you should be spending time on the main and getting it done?!"

I dunno. I guess there are times when, while waiting for paint or glue to dry, that another side project could be started. But I feel so...unfaithful...somehow!  ;) ;D

Good topic!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline RockyD88

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 09:31:13 am »
I have a ton of in progress builds, one day they will all be finished ;)

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 09:56:45 am »
Steve the main thing that I ran into was I was starting to get burnt out with the tedious tasks for the Reliant.  I needed a mental break I guess.  Instead of doing nothing, I was working on cutting out the deck house for the 350 Reliant, but that is almost done now.  I saw a Viper at a good price and snagged it!  It looks like a pretty quick build even with lights, so I figured why not :)

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 10:20:45 am »
It always seems like a lot of modelers have multiple builds going on at the same time.  Building certain models or certain types of models can get repetitive or mundane so one tends to move on to something else either temporarily or permanently.

I always think that this picture sums it all up for many modelers:

:D
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 01:56:30 pm »
I always think that this picture sums it all up for many modelers:

:D

I laughed more than I should have! Well played, Sir!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 02:41:37 pm »
I usually have 2 or 3 at a time going.  As stated previously, sometimes you have to wait for paint to dry, putty to dry, etc.  Currently I have the Fine Molds Falcon, a Halcyon Alien, the MPC Cutaway Falcon (almost done!), and a 350 refit (about 30% done!).  I guess that's 4, though sometimes a kit will get put aside for a long time before I pick it up again.

Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline ClarkKent

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 07:33:49 pm »
Well, as a teacher I usually cannot build much during the school year. I also coach basketball so my time during the months of September to March is really limited. Therefore, I will usually build 4-5 at a time from March to August. If I didn't I would never build/finish anything. I find that if I hop around I can stay busy for hours without stopping. I have a kit that needs one more part put on and it will be done. Been downstairs for a month like that. Oh well.
If it don't fit, you must not quit.

Enterprise © Bloc