Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Filling in windows  (Read 73 times)

Offline viz

• Ensign
Filling in windows
« on: September 22, 2017, 01:13:56 pm »
Hi everyone
Just wanted to ask . I have an AMT Star Trek Deep Space 9 space station kit.. I am still very new to modelling and I was wondering if there was any way to do this. The model requires loads of drilling out of holes for windows if you want to light the model . Is there anyway these holes can be filled again with a clear like substance to form 'window's. I live in the UK , so it would be great if the product used is available hear. If not I don't mind importing.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
Re: Filling in windows
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 02:07:14 pm »
Hey, viz!

Some modeler use the Micro Industries Kristal Klear. It will go in the drilled holes in white but, when dried, will be transparent. It is applied with a dampened tooth pick end. A cheaper alternative is Elmer's school glue. Don't know the name brand is in the UK for school glue, but, in the US, our Local Hobby Shops has them by the buckets.

Some have used epoxy resin to fill in the holes - but IMHO this technique is tedious and time consuming.

I have also used clear fingernail acrylic and liquid to fill in the windows - actually, I duped the part I needed that had all the windows, light blocked the part and will scrape the paint off the windows. But you could use the stuff to seal the drill holes, too!

TLDR (Too Long; Didn't Read) Use Elmer's School glue; it's cheaper and easier.

Hope this helps!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 07:32:40 pm »
I used Canopy Glue on the windows here.

That and Krystal Klear work in the same way.  You use the toothpick to form a little bubble on the window, and it dries hard and clear.

One thing to keep in mind, if your model is airtight the very last window will give you problems.  As the stuff dries, it outgasses.  If the model is airtight, the last window will invariably bow out and likely pop.

Offline viz

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 01:43:06 am »
Thanks guys. Managed to find both  Kristal clear and canopy glue. Will play with it a bit to practice before during it on a model.

Enterprise © Bloc