Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: In Between Build- BSG Viper MKI  (Read 406 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
In Between Build- BSG Viper MKI
« on: September 24, 2017, 04:12:43 pm »
I'm still working on the Reliant (both the 537 and cutting the 350) but when I started seeing Aztec patterns in my sleep I figured it was time for a mental break!

This one should be a quickie... and fun!  At least to me.  I've always loved the Viper when I was a kid.  I personally like it better than the X-Wing, it just looks like a badass hot rod fighter :)

I picked up a Moebius 1/32 scale kit, much nicer than the 1/72 scale I had when I was a kid.  Unlike Trek builds, this should be very quick and easy.  Not too many parts and lighting should be a breeze.  Six LEDs and something a little different!  Later on I will do another one (or two!) with functioning laser cannons and sound, this one will just have cockpit lights, thrusters, and like I teased... a 'little something different'

My photo etch should be here tomorrow along with some metalizer paints and some flickering LEDs for the thrusters.  Everything is primed and light blocked already, so when I get the photo etch, the cockpit will take the longest to do and then I'd say a day to paint and put everything together, a day to weather it and beat it up, and then it should be done!

See if you can guess what that 'something different' is going to be... 

More pictures of the complete build to come...  :)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: In Between Build- BSG Viper MKI
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 06:33:46 pm »
Well, just a shot in the dark here. Since those appear to be little motors in the front intake housing panel, I would say that you're going to have the intake fans actually spinning. Excellent! Just a heads up on this kit. When I built mine, I lit the rear thrusters but added very little weight to it, but it's a tail heavy bird if you mount it where the stand would normally go. I assume you're going to have it in flight mode?
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 08:14:06 pm »
lol yeah it wasn't that hard to figure out...  I never saw it done on any kits and was sitting here looking at the parts and thought.... hmm, a motor would fit in there!  I just thought it would be cool if they actually spun like real turbines.

Thanks for the tip on it being tail heavy.  It looks like it is without anything added.  I'll adjust the stand mount  position if needed.  I'm going to use a Gundam base so it should be pretty versatile when it comes to different positions.   Any other areas to be aware of?  Those intake hoods already don't look like they mate completely to the engines, so I'll have to do a little work there and then some very slight reworking for the dc motors.

I want to do another one later on and might do it either in the hanger bay diorama or on a launch rail, but that one will be after I get back to the Reliant.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:12:06 pm »
Actually, the intake hoods fit really snug and tight on the engines at the front. The issue I ran into was when I cut out the center of the clear piece for the thrusters, and then attached the photo etch pieces. They created just enough extra depth that the rear housing didn't fit all the way into the recessed grooves and this caused a series of small gaps that had to be filled. I know that seems clear as thick mud, but if you can tape up the three housing pieces and do some test fittings it might make sense then. I also attached a couple of pictures from my build. Hope it helps.
Dan

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:32:15 am »
STOP IT!

You guys are making me want to buy and build this beauty!!

LOL!

This is looking very interesting, whb64! I can't wait to see the spinning turbine effect!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:51:33 am »
Steve I have to say for $19-24 plus shipping this is definitely a kit to get.

I was all gung ho on the Reliant and other Trek builds, and still am, but this kit is reminding me exactly WHY I loved to build models when I was a kid.  It is inexpensive, good detail, very easy build, even easier to light... it's going to be a quick and satisfying build, unlike the Trek builds that are a bit more labor intensive and tedious... but should still be very satisfying.  All I can say is so far this one has been a lot of fun and brought back some memories!

When I was a kid I made the 1/72 scale versions of these (both the Viper and Cylon) and I even put lights in the Cylon Raider way back then!  So there is a bit of nostalgia in it for me, but again I can't emphasize how much fun this one is.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 11:17:52 am »
Dan what's your take on this-   I dunno...  I actually think the stock part that comes with the kit for the engine exhausts looks better than the photo etch.  The raised parts give it more depth than the photo etch.  I might spray them with some smoke and see how they look in comparison.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 07:51:18 pm »
Love the Viper.  A very different ship with the tri-wing.  I loved the Moebius Mk2, but there were some unexpected design choices that made it a bear to assemble.  That said, the fit and detail were great, and the price was right.

Looking forward to what you do with this build!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 09:21:33 pm »
Yeah I love it too, like I said, better than an X-Wing.  If a muscle car was a space fighter it would be a Viper!

Now if Moebius would only make a Buck Rogers StarFighter!

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 11:39:49 pm »
I do not have this kit, but I have the Revell one. I plan to get this kit from HDA sometime in the next half a year. I think the stock parts for the engine looks better. I'd use the photoetch for the cockpit details.

I actually spoke with Frank Winspur, the president of Moebius, about Moebius releasing a Buck Rogers starfighter. IIRC, he said that the demand just isn't there. BSG has enjoyed a revival with the nuGalactica series (I'm not a fan of it or its designs), so there is plenty to explore. Even without the reboot, BSG has been more endearing over the years than BR, and most will agree that BR is far cheesier and campy. I like both and have them on DVD, but I have to admit that although the BR Starfighter is incredibly awesome, its market appeal is not as strong as BSG's.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 11:51:18 am »
Dan what's your take on this-   I dunno...  I actually think the stock part that comes with the kit for the engine exhausts looks better than the photo etch.  The raised parts give it more depth than the photo etch.  I might spray them with some smoke and see how they look in comparison.

It's definitely something to consider. I did find it a shame to cut away the nice detail in the kit part. You could still use the backlit film discs with the kit part which does the job of diffusion for you, and if the plastic was 'smoked' that would add to the diffusion. I think the PE makes the biggest impact with the cockpit on this kit.
Dan

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 12:26:14 pm »

It's definitely something to consider. I did find it a shame to cut away the nice detail in the kit part. You could still use the backlit film discs with the kit part which does the job of diffusion for you, and if the plastic was 'smoked' that would add to the diffusion. I think the PE makes the biggest impact with the cockpit on this kit.
Agreed...  the only reason I bought the PE set was for the cockpit panels.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 10:55:51 pm »
Cockpit cut out and ready for the photo etch...

Some seat wear

Displays in place

The above was just a quick flashlight test of the control panels.  The camera made everything brighter than in person, and once inside the fuselage it won't be as bright and the CPs will show up much better.

I did the main cockpit with just gray primer and then a flat clear coat and did some weathering/wear to the seat.  That was overkill since the pilot will be sitting  on it but I know it was weathered :)

I decided to do the photo etch main panels in stainless steel and the instrument clusters in a satin black.  My thoughts were this made the instruments look like 'modular' slide in units for easy swap out for repairs or a pilot could put them in different positions to suit their preferences.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:06:17 am by whb64 »

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 11:12:04 pm »
And here she is fresh from the assembly line showing the titanium allow metal chassis before the plating and paint ( okay okay...  primed, light blocked, and a coat of aluminum plate!)  Next I will do some stainless steel panels and engine detail, then a coat of white.

The purpose of the undercoating is so when the top coat is weathered and worn the 'metal' will be exposed in areas.  This Viper will definitely have seen some action when done

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 11:52:17 pm »
Next up...

I carved a wood insert for the engine compartment for the LEDs to mount in.   After reviewing other people's builds they said when you put the LEDs directly in the thruster exhausts it is too bright, especially in the center.  The solution they came up with was to set the LEDs further back and mount them on some pieces of sprue.   Since I need all the practice I can get doing custom cuts and shaping I decided to cut mine out of balsa and shape it to form fit.  I think it came out pretty good.  I also used balsa for the intake motors to spin the intake turbine fans.

This is just press fit together, once glued and clamped there will be no seams caused by the fit of the LED mount... it's a clean fit.

Turbine motor mounts before being cut out for the DC motors

And with the motor mounts cut out for the DC motors.

Enterprise © Bloc