Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: In Between Build- BSG Viper MKI  (Read 403 times)

Offline whb64

• Captain
Re: In Between Build- BSG Viper MKI
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 05:24:45 am »
Here's the start of the layering effect to start building up the plating look and make it look like metal and not a plastic kit.  I also started some engine base coats.

It's a subtle difference from the initial base coat.  I've always felt the key is layering.  Several subtle layers creates a depth and realism you can't get with a single coat of anything.  At least in my opinion :)

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 10:51:33 am »
I'll be adding a bunch of build pictures tonight or tomorrow.  I just may have this finished tomorrow :)

My base came in today and I really like it and will definitely be ordering more of this for fighter ship builds like the Viper.

So the million dollar question of the day... well for me at least... Do I build this with the landing gear up, down, or maybe make them magnetic so I can remove them.  I'm planning on having all the electronics, battery, and power buttons integrated into the model itself, so it will be self contained and won't need wiring coming from the base.  I'm thinking since I am doing this, I could remove the Viper from the base and have it in a 'landed' mode.  I'm going to setup the cockpit lights on one button, and then a second button to turn on the turbine motors and engine lights.

I really don't know if I would ever really be taking it off the base and doing a landed display.  I also want to build one on a launch rail/launch tube and I really like the hanger bay diorama...  lol so maybe I'll be building three... who knows.  I'll definitely be building a MK II.  Maybe I'll do that in the hanger bay.

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 02:34:44 pm »
The landing gear is easy enough... it's the landing gear doors that will give you trouble making it "convertible" between landed and in-flight.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 05:05:46 pm »
The landing gear is easy enough... it's the landing gear doors that will give you trouble making it "convertible" between landed and in-flight.

And my gear doors did not fit properly at all when closed and in flight mode. Much cursing, shaving and trimming was employed to get them to behave.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 09:09:51 pm »
If I go with the interchangeable configuration I was thinking about making a box out of styrene that fits in the openings and then a closed box when in flight mode.  I'm thinking though it just gives me an excuse to build another one... or two :)

I didn't get anything done tonight, just got home.  I finally found a local hobby shop, well of sorts...  it's more of a train shop but he has paint, MicroSol, decal paper, and he said he will order any kit I want.  His prices are the same or better than any place I found online, so I'm happy!  Then I took my wife clothes shopping and bought her some dresses.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 08:36:17 pm »
Well I didn't get as much done as I wanted to because I lost my airbrush!  I cleaned it last week and swear I put it back on my bench but now I am thinking I got distracted and left it on the counter and I think the cat knocked it in the garbage and it was thrown out.  I spent HOURS looking for it.  I tore my office apart and it's nowhere to be found.  I had to order another one and use my backup while I wait for it to arrive.

Here is what I got done...  This is the initial 'Viper White' and initial weathering.  This is just the first stage, it will be getting a couple washes and I haven't done the engines or intakes yet either.  After they get sprayed with a white top coat and weathered I will be putting soot and heat discoloring on.  Right now it is just press fit together, nothing is glued yet except for the landing gear.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 03:18:11 am »
Engine module painted 'Viper White' and weathered/roughed up to match the rest of the ship

Next will be detail painting, washes and soot.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 05:16:35 am »
Canopy masked and ready for paint

Painted, weathered, and set in place.   I'm pleased!  It's starting to actually look like a Viper!  Well at least to me.

Don't worry about that line down the center in the last picture, I'm not :)
That will be taken care of once it is buttoned up and I putty the seams.

BTW, in case anyone is interested, none of the weathering was done with washes.  It was all done with the 'hair spray' and a tooth brush method.  It's hard to see it the pictures, but it actually has a layered effect where there is a very slight depth between the top white coat and the exposed plating.  Personally in my opinion you can't get this effect by painting the top coat and then brushing on the stainless.  To me at least it really looks like weathered damage a vehicle would get.  The tooth brush also gave the top coat a worn look and as it started to thin out as I scrubbed it with the tooth brush a very slight silver/gray of the stainless and aluminum started to show through the worn areas.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:39:17 am by whb64 »

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 05:25:34 am »
I have to give major kudos to Moebius.  They took the fear of painting the canopy completely away.  How you say?  I called to ask if they might have some spare intake fans, just in case I screw mine up when I start working on them and mounting them to the motors.  Unfortunately they didn't, but they did have some spare canopies as well as the clear engine thrusters.  So I have a spare canopy on its way and they only charged me for shipping! 

I think this one came out okay, so I think I will cut the one they are sending and make an open canopy for a landed Viper version.

I hate to say it but I am having WAY more fun building this one than the Reliant.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:30:00 am by whb64 »

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 01:35:04 pm »
Whoohoo my replacement airbrush arrived today!  I ordered it Saturday and got it today.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 06:38:23 pm »
Working on the motors tonight.  I have to drop the voltage WAY down to get a reasonable spin rate- as in drop it to .6VDC  Otherwise they spin so fast it would probably take off on its own lol.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 07:05:00 pm »
Your canopy rocks!  BTW, another solution for lights that are too bright is some cotton wadding.  Diffuses and dims the light nicely. 

I am very much looking forward to what the cockpit looks like when lit up.
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 08:07:33 am »
I've been working on the motors.  I have been able to get them all to run but controlling the speed isn't easy.  There are solutions, but without a local electronics store I'd have to order components and then wait... again!  I have a bunch of spare Arduino Nanos I could use, but I don't have the other electronics on hand.  I'm trying to see if I can rob them from some junk electronics I have laying around.

So they do spin, just really fast.  I want to slow them down so you can see the turbines spinning.  At this speed it's too fast to see by eye.  You can tell the difference between stopped and running, but when running it doesn't really look special.  I have the voltage to the DC motor down to around 1.5VDC.  I can't go any lower because then there isn't enough current to start the motors spinning.  I can start them spinning with my finger and then they stay spinning, they just won't start below that due to current.   I could also go with different motors, but that would be more waiting.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 10:17:30 am »
Well looks like I have to wait a few days.  That's the one thing I hate about this hobby since I got back into it... I always seem to be waiting on something to be shipped.  I do try to plan ahead and order everything at the same time, but sometimes you need things that weren't planned on, and then it's the waiting game again.

Instead of settling for super fast spinning turbine fans or trying to rig up something I have on hand to work, I decided to just order some 6VDC 96 RPM motors.  They will spin at 48 RPM @ 3VDC, so I'll have to see if that's too slow (either too fast or too slow lol ) and if so I'll just go with a 9V battery and drop the voltage for the motors and LEDs.  I'm sure I can always use these other motors for something else, I'm thinking maybe to spin the Millennium Falcon exhaust turbines.  If you haven't guessed, I like spinny blinky things!  If they don't work out for that, it's no biggy since these were pulled from something else and didn't cost me anything.

As far as I can tell from searching the web, I may be the first person to do a Viper with spinning turbine fans :)
Later on I am going to build another one (or three!) and that Viper will be mounted on a remote 3 axis camera mount and controlled by a WingMaster flight stick- so the Viper will be movable via the joy stick on the base :)  I haven't see that done either :)

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 11:03:59 am »
You might have to use a PWM circuit to control the speed of the motors better.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Enterprise © Bloc