Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: In Between Build- BSG Viper MKI  (Read 846 times)

Online whb64

• Captain
Re: In Between Build- BSG Viper MKI
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 11:10:09 am »
I was thinking about that but again I'd have to order the parts.  These new motors should do the trick though.  The will give just enough spin so you can tell the turbines are moving but not so fast you can't see them.  Native rpm without resistors or any control ckts is 98 rpm or less.

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2017, 04:00:05 pm »
I'll be watching to see how it goes. I thought about doing this myself but decide not to.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Online whb64

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 01:50:16 am »
The new motors will be here tomorrow.  While I was waiting I decided to put some flashers in the laser cannons.  One option is to use a pin vice and try to drill out the center... not something I wanted to do.  The other option- build new laser cannons :)

I went the route of making new cannon barrels.  I'll post some more pictures and details tomorrow.  For now here is one fitted to the wing and the LED installed.  The brass tubing is perfect size for a 3mm LED.  The wings are pretty thin at the edges.  There is plenty of room for wires in the center, but at the mounting point for the cannons it fits flat.  Also where the wing fits to the engines there is no entry point unless you drill a hole.  I opted to run copper bus lines instead of wire.

Here is a closeup of the new cannon compared to the original part.  I looked at some pictures from the TV show and there was no flair or nub or whatever you want to call it, so the new cannons actually look closer to the studio than the kit part.  I have a couple more details to add to the barrel and paint it, but it's basically done at this point.

More to come...

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 12:55:00 pm »
whb64, This continues to look awesome!

Okay, I have a few questions about your (Outstandingly Kewl!) copper bus lines:

1. What material are you using?! (Copper, duh!) But what thickness? Is it copper foil with an alloy or straight copper?

2. How are you securing the lines? Hot Glue? CA?

3. How are you insulating the wires; other than air gaping them?

Thanks for the answers! This looks like a great solution I will have to use!

Keep 'er going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Online whb64

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 02:39:23 pm »
It's copper tape used for guitar pickups.  It's used for other things too, but that's the place I bought mine from- they had the widest selection and best prices I found.  The company is StewMac
http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Shielding/Conductive_Copper_Tape.html

It is self adhesive so it does stick on its own but once I have everything 'wired' I'll tack it down with CA or canopy glue or something like that just to make sure it doesn't lift, especially in the areas where two piece come together.  For the area where the wings attach to the engines I am going to wrap the tape around the tab so I can run it in through the seam area of the engine module.  There will be a point where the copper bus tape has to transition to wires so it can be wired to the power supply, for those areas it's a pretty easy solution.  You just double the tape back on itself a couple times to make a tab.  Then use a pin vice to drill a hole where the wire will attach and then you can solder the wire to the copper tape.

Just gapping the wires and then I'll put down some hot glue in the areas where they are close to each other.
Another cool thing about  this tape is it is pretty thin and low profile, but you could easily run it on the outside of a kit and then paint it as a greeblie.

I originally got the copper tape for the day I tackle my Enterprise D build and have to deal with lighting the nacelles.  Instead of gouging out trenches that I know won't look good, at least with my current skill level, I'm going to use this method.

I also have an idea for creating thruster flames and not just the blue flicker candle LEDs.  It's something I did as a kid but I am trying to refine the process and look.  If I can pull it off it will be removable, but when installed it will give that 'Viper afterburner' look :)

Future projects (after I finish my 350 Trek builds... and may be 'in-between builds') are an original series Cylon Raider, the Galactica of course, and a project where I take everything I am learning from my current builds and do a full out FX build.   I am working on a way to use a 3 axis camera gimbal controlled by a PC flight stick.  The base will be a 'mini cockpit' and you will be able to control the pitch, yaw, and roll of the fighter.  Since I am making the turbine fans spin too, that build will have the throttle lever wired up to control the RPMs of the turbines.  For that build I'd love to do it with this kit-

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=71888

The laser cannons are going to work out nice too.  I originally tried putting canopy glue inside the smallest tube to create a 'light tube' but it never dried clear.  Probably because it's too thick to dry in the center.

Online whb64

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 02:53:05 pm »
Ugh... I ordered a replacement canopy from Moebius to cut and make an open cockpit with the canopy up.  A cat knocked it on the floor and my wife stepped on it!

Online whb64

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 04:34:03 pm »
Whoohoo!  My new DC motors showed up!  they will be perfect.  They are more than half the size of the old motors and operate from 3-9VDC and RPMs are 48-140 RPM.

I'm on vacation this week, so I'll probably be up all night but I will have spinning turbines soon!  Now I have to make new motor mounts, but I kinda like working with balsa :)

Online whb64

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2017, 06:36:06 pm »
Don't mind my messy work bench!

This is a picture of the LED array I am using (more on them in a bit)

And here is a video of the array firing up
https://youtu.be/JPycG2tUp_A

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2017, 09:15:49 pm »
Wow that is awesome. Is that a custom rig? I know BEM makes a cool engine effects with sound set up, but it's a bit pricey. Either way, puts my engine lighting to shame. Well done. Can't wait to see the spinning intake fans.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Online whb64

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2017, 09:33:51 pm »
Dan that's some LED arrays from a $1 flashlight from Walmart!

I'll post some pictures of the parts you get when you break it down.  You get three AAA batteries, the battery power pack, a small mini on/off switch, an 8 9 LED array with 5mm super bright LEDs, a housing for the LEDs, and other misc parts.

The LED array has a really tiny chip on the board that I assume is some kind of current limiter.  It runs on 4.5VDC but as you can see it is still super bright at 3VDC.  It wires up just like a standard single LED- one positive and one negative wire and the Arduino has no problems driving it.  I think it could be used for a lot of differnt lighting uses.  There should be no reason why a person couldn't even replace the LEDs with different colored ones.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:45:09 pm by whb64 »

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2017, 09:38:00 pm »
Fascinating that you can find an everyday inexpensive item that has the perfect components for enhancing your builds. Definitely thinking outside the box on this one. 👍
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Online whb64

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2017, 09:42:10 pm »
:) Yeah I was really happy when I tore it apart.  I originally bought it for the on/off switch and got all that as a bonus!  So I went out and got more of them.  Walmart has a ton of these in the flashlight section back in sporting.

It really does look like it is custom made for the 1/32 Viper.  The LED housing is the exact diameter of the inside of the thrusters and the LED array works perfect... one in the center of the engine and then the other eight form a ring.  I said an 8 LED array earlier, I meant to say there are 9!

Online whb64

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2017, 04:05:49 am »
Turbine test

This is just a preliminary test.  Nothing is soldered at this point and the turbine fans are just press fit on the motors.  One of the wires came off the left turbine but I think this still demonstrates the effect I am going for.

Once the wires are soldered and the turbine fans permanently attached to the motors the alignment issues will be resolved and all three will spin.  I set it up so the left and right turbines spin opposite of each other... I'll show that in a video when I get everything soldered and the fans epoxied to the motors.  The turbines still need to be painted and weathered.  This is just the first test run to see if they will work clearance wise and how it will look.

Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71v0Wt0wrog&feature=youtu.be

Online whb64

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 08:40:40 pm »
Okay as promised here is the breakdown of the $1 flashlight.

This is the flashlight to get.  They also have a metal one but I haven't taken one of those apart to see what's in it.

These are the parts when you tear it apart

Closeup of the LED array, housing and mini switch

Here is a closeup of the back of the LED array

The case itself might have some interesting uses, perhaps for a kit base engine?

All that for a buck!

The flickering blue LEDs I got from HDA are what most people seem to be using.  There is nothing wrong with the LEDs, they just aren't really bright enough for an engine effect, at least not for something like a Viper, which to me should envision pure raw power!

The LED array looks like it should be easy to modify and I will probably use some for a TOS Enterprise build... not the 350 scale of course.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2017, 12:49:11 pm »
Nice whb64!

I love how everyday items become a peice of a build!

Nice ingenuity!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Enterprise © Bloc