Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1000 Andromeda  (Read 144 times)

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
1/1000 Andromeda
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:09:50 am »
Throughout the Yunagi build I have been alluding to the Andromeda which to some will be interesting in itself as it is the latest incarnation of the UNCF Flagship - essentially pushing the Yamato out of the way with its twin wave guns and more advanced technology. If I have understood it right, the Andromeda even shares some Gamillian technology after the joining up of the two previous enemies to fight off another group even more deadly than themselves - the Gatlantis

At any rate, there was a lot of buzz amongst the SBY fans when it was announced that this:

.... was coming out and if I am totally honest - I wasn't one of them. I don't particularly like the bridge section and I think it needs a better exhaust nozzle and some bigger and better fins. The rest of it is pretty cool though and I thought I could do something with the rest of it, but so far, it hasn't quite worked out as planned. More on this later

This kit comes prepackaged with lights and even a sound board but combined, they make it more toy like than a model - in the same way Revell do their Star Wars toys "models"

I have elected not to use the lights or sound board and make do with my own lights. I probably should use the Wave gun lights but I just can't be bothered. I'd never use it and as it is, I hardly ever display the ships I have built with the lights turned on. Only at shows do they get switched on and that is pretty rare

However, I do have some lights planned for this because my OCD kicks in every chance it can and I just can't help myself. Besides, it does add just a little extra something to a build.

I am planning on adding 3-4 ships to a display: the Andromeda, Yunagi, a Dreadnought and a medical ship. I should get myself a 1/1000 Yamato to fly alongside as well.....

I mentioned that things hadn't worked out as planned with the updated exhaust, so here's a quick look at an early failure. Because I never fully trust myself to do a proper job the first time round and I am scared I'll just completely root a valuable and core piece or equipment, I make resin copies to experiment with. At first, I had the pour points in the wrong place and I wasn't getting very good results. but with the purchase of some more silicon, I remolded the exhaust and managed (after many attempts) to make a couple of decent resin copies - and even then only 1 that was totally workable. I had made 16 individual petals as well in the design of the SBY Live Action movie and spent age measuring and drawing to get the shapes right. Last time I attempted this design, I tried to cheat and make some resin copies but that didn't work out so well and I stuck with the kit version. However, I thought I would give it another go this time but make each and every petal individually. All 16 of them. They were all uniform (mostly) and made using very thin plastic sheet which is no longer in production sadly. Good thing I bought heaps when I did. Anyway, I was pretty chuffed with myself and then after successfully creating a good solid copy I proceeded to start sticking on the petals. Well guess what? I screwed up my measurements and they didn't all fit on. This became a prime reason why I make resin copies first and foremost!!

I have put the nozzle idea aside for now and will look at it again when I get back from my up coming mini-holiday. However, you can see how cool it could look and I think I will amend the design a bit to.

Moving along now to the side thrusters. I have cut out the space in between the forward facing fins in order to facilitate a cool lighting effect I saw on a huge one built by a Japanese fellow (his one was 1 meter long!). Even though it's not technically show accurate, I just don't care and want to use this effect for myself.  A bit of cutting here and there allows the transfer of wiring into the main body. Luckily, it was easy enough to make it work due to the way Bandai engineer these kits. The pictures should be self explanatory enough but if not, please feel free to ask anything.

And a quick size comparison shot against the Yunagi:

So, that is where I am up to right now. It doesn't seem like much but I spent wayyyy to much time screwing up making the exhaust nozzle and fins. Once I get back form my trip, I will be able to invest more time into this. I also have to finish off the Yunagi but there isn't much left of that one.

As always, thanks for looking

Si

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
Re: 1/1000 Andromeda
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:22:13 am »
I have Bandai's legacy Andromeda model kit that comes with the wires and lights. It cost me only about 1200 yen a couple of years ago. It comes with those grain of wheat bulbs, but my intent was to light it with LEDs and add lights to the side windows, bridge, and to add strobing nav lights.

I don't think the lighting on the Yamato Bandai kits make them look toy-like, however I have never seen them in-person. The Revell Build&Play Star Wars kits are certainly toy-like, I agree.

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 08:00:45 pm »
A bit more work done on the main engine. I managed to squeeze 13 3MM LEDs onto a disc 2 cm diameter which took a couple of hours, but the results are well worth it. It all fits nicely inside the clear insert and is markedly brighter than what you get in the kit supplied lighting. I'm going to paint some clear plastic with some Alclad metal to see if I can get the lights shining nicely behind it to show through. Only so it doesn't look like a clear part is all.

I also remade the plastic part that sits behind the nozzle and still have more to add to it yet.

Here's a few pics:

That's all I have for now, but as always, thanks for looking
Si

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:09:31 pm »
Si,

So this is another in the fleet?! Outstanding!

Your builds are very cool to watch and, while watching, I realize how much I have to learn!

Keep going! I can't wait to see the finished display!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 06:14:46 pm »
Liking the look of this.  I checked out the price of the kit though.... ouch!

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 06:44:28 pm »
You always make these look so awesome and so easy...if only!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 01:41:13 am »
thanks for the kind posts of encouragement guys
Yes, it's not the cheapest kit out there but I got it at a really good price which is the only reason why I bought it
I will hopefully have an update for you this weekend but I am still working on the nozzle, so maybe there won't be much to show.
As always, thanks for looking
Si

Offline madmonk

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 05:41:44 am »
Great work on the lights so far Si, is there any functionality on the large circle of LEDs, seems a lot of LEDS just to light up the engine?

I could always do you a twin version of the Yamato Wave gun controller if you decide to add them!!

Looking through the Yamato 2199 kits I've just ordered the 1/1000 Pormelia Class Astro Assault Carrier after being inspired by your builds and the intention is to do something with the lights round the underside!

Keep up the good work.

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 07:04:00 am »
Hey Warren! Great to see you
Mate, no functionality for the rear lights unfortunately - although the though did cross my mind to have them run in the same circular pattern as the Yamato  ;)
I will get back to you on the wave gun idea but I might well be up for it. The only thing I would change is to have a brighter light for the final bit of the firing sequence.
I'll email you when I know more
Si

Enterprise © Bloc