Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Here Lie Dragons  (Read 341 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Here Lie Dragons
« on: September 30, 2017, 09:40:21 am »
After much debate and and so forth I have finally reached a decision on the next build.

Say hello to Vermithrax Perjorative- as seen in the 1981 movie "Dragonslayer".

Made by Pegasus Hobbies and I have been itching to start this one for ages as I am a huge fan of all and anything to do with these mythical beasties. Co-produced by Disney/Paramount this was quite a dark and violent film for Disney and also had some brief nudity which certainly was not the usual film from the House of the Mouse.

Not a particularly high parts count but what there is is pretty big with the base alone at just on 16 inches across so we are looking at a fairly substantial model here. She (the dragon is a she) has just had her bath so whilst we wait for all the parts to dry I had better sit down and figure out how I am going to breath life into what has got to be "the" most awesome dragon seen on screen.

The beastie herself won't be lit but I have seen some fantastic builds where the base is lit up like lava and plan on emulating those (all goes well).

So!Fancy coming along for a ride on a Dragon?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:51:42 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline whb64

• Captain
Re: Here Lie Dragons
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 10:41:13 am »
That looks cool!

Where did you get this kit and how big is it?  I am in some need of a few dragons for my 'castle' and some theme decor

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 11:20:32 am »
That looks cool!Where did you get this kit and how big is it?  I am in some need of a few dragons for my 'castle' and some theme decor

Ye Olde' Bay of Evil and this girl is big. The base alone is 16 inches across and the dragon is about 20-24 inches long if you stretched her out.
Iain

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 11:36:07 am »
Is the kit made from ABS plastic?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:51:26 pm by TK Iain »

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 01:51:47 pm »
Is the kit made from ABS plastic?

The dragon is vinyl and the base plastic.
Iain

Offline karve

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 02:00:15 pm »
Another kit that I'm looking forward to watching you build Iain!

The beastie herself won't be lit

Just a thought ...and I don't know if it's possible .... would a red LED in her mouth look cool? Kinda like she's getting all warmed up to shooting some flames in that fellows direction?

Anyway I know it'll look fantastic when you're done!
Kevin

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us."
    Quote from Carl Sagan's 'Pale Blue Dot'  1994

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 02:46:32 am »
Thanks Guys.

Going to be a fun "wee" build I'm sure. :)

Keven - her head is in two pieces so getting a light in there would'nt be too hard I suppose but her main body is basically one solid piece so drilling down through that lot would be a nightmare I think.

Progress has been pretty swift and I get her main body together in a couple of hours. I have'nt built a vinyl kit (female Guyver not withstanding) for a while but it was CA glue all the way with some heating assistance from a hairdryer. Parts fit was pretty good apart from  where her left wing joins the body and there was a pronounced "step" but nothing too bad that can't be dealt with.

Then on with the putty time.

I won't be doing anymore work on her today (Sunday, 01/10) as we're off out for a bit but I did put some thought into lighting the base and here it what it looks like held up to my bench light and the white areas are where the light shines cleanly through so if I can get some red/orange light back there with some of it flickering I reckon the base could look pretty sweet.

So! I hope you like what you see so far.
Iain

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 06:23:56 am »
if you just want to light the eyes, you could use electrically conductive paint and just paint two 'power' lines, one for positive and one for negative and then tap into those once inside the head.  Once painted you wouldn't see the conductive paint.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 07:16:21 am »
TK I couldn't find a link to that company, do you have one?

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 11:46:06 am »
TK I couldn't find a link to that company, do you have one?

Hi - I got mine on Ebay and there's plenty still available and in America so no import tax.
Iain

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • "Not chess, Mr. Spock. Poker!"
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 05:03:59 pm »
And now for something completely different...I like it!
"If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 02:39:54 am »
And now for something completely different...I like it!

Thanks - and I will practice my silly walks throughout this build, ;D
Iain

Offline madmonk

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 03:15:10 am »
That is definitely different. 

The lava effect should be good.

Pity its not from Dragonheart, you'd have the right accent for the voice!!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 06:19:02 am »
Thanks Warren.

I used to have the Dragonheart model years ago. It is still available but very expensive. :)
Iain

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 11:56:05 am »
Got some more work done on the beastie!

All the seams (bar when I join the head to the body) have been attended to and did'nt take too much work TBH. My big fear was losing some of the fine detail on the body with sanding but plenty of water and taking my time sorted that one out. I just had to redo some of the skin lines and small wrinkles. Once that was done some Mr Surfacer was applied and we were good to go for the next stage of the build.

Once I was happy with how things were going it was time to prime her main body.

A dragon is'nt a dragon without a head and this girl's comes in two parts and once washed and dried the parts were primed.

At this point I just had to have a look at how she look when all whole.

I plan on working on her mouth next which will be interesting as I have never painted the inside of a mouth before so any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

Next item on the agenda was to apply the black primer and so the airbrush was brought out for the first time in ages and the parts were all primed as required.

There we have it so far. I will see what I can dig up regarding painting the inside of a mouth and whilst I figure that out the various browns and greens this girl will be painted in are ordered and on their way.

I hope that you like what you see so far.
Iain

Enterprise © Bloc