Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mobius BSG Colonial One -- Completed  (Read 250 times)

Online AlW

• Captain
Mobius BSG Colonial One -- Completed
« on: September 30, 2017, 03:00:29 pm »
Hi Everyone,

After about a seven month hiatus from modeling, I decided to jump back in with something simple to polish up my skills and pulled the Colonial One from the stash.  It's a small model, about 10 inches long, with a small parts count (~20) but has some interesting design elements to it.  It's pretty cool how the engines ring the fuselage and incorporate the bridge as well as the landing legs.  The rear "blast guards" have a good number of raised panels which offers a lot a creativity in how you want to paint and/or weather them.

I installed an LED strip of about 9 LEDs in the main fuselage area, and each engine has a 3mm LED.  I went "bare bulb" on the main rear engines but diffused the secondary engines with cotton and installed screen mesh to finish the look.

Paints included gunmetal, aircraft aluminum, light blue, royal blue, gold, and semi-gloss white.  I added some engine grease (Abtelung oil) and soot (Tamiya pastel) to the engine casings, panel line accents on the rear engine area, and soot to the lower blast guard.  No heavy weathering as I liked the crisp lines of the various colors.

I want to give a shout out to Lou Dalmaso at Aztek Dummy for providing a really helpful mask set.  I couldn't have possibly painted the curves on the tower without his fairly complex S-shaped mask.  Thanks, Lou!

It's a nice kit overall and the possibilities for ending up with something you'd be happy with is pretty high!

Happy to answer any questions and thanks for looking.  Photos have been split into two posts that follow.

Online AlW

• Captain
Re: Mobius BSG Colonial One -- Completed
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:01:20 pm »
Additional photos follow...

Offline butch101

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:17:33 am »
Beautiful!  The paint job and lighting are really great!
What did you used for your base display?

Online AlW

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:55:13 am »
Hey, thanks!  The base is one of those "wood d

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 10:40:06 am »
Very nice. Love the lighting. Did you use the photo etch?
I got it for mine but decided not to use it.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Online AlW

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 01:57:59 pm »
Butch101:  Sorry about the reply cutting off.   Here's the info about the base:  It's one of those "wood d

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 04:29:13 pm »
It cut you off again.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline simi

• Admiral
  • JUST enough knowledge to do some serious damage
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 06:21:13 pm »
haha..gotta love the special characters nuking the posts (personal experience...lol).  The build looks REALLY nice, and the lighting is icing on that cake.  Nicely done!

Cheers!

Simi
As a software architect, I'm pretty darn good.  As someone with knowledge of building things in the real world, well, I'm a software architect.

Online AlW

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 05:57:13 am »
Butch101:  Okay, here we go one more time and I'll avoid using the characters that seem to confuse the website:  The base is from Hobby Lobby, one of those small pressed cardboard wall hangings with inspirational sayings on them.  You can usually find the perfect size for a base and it makes mounting switches, power connectors, battery holders, etc. a pretty easy task.  Not sure I would put a heavy model and mounting post on one of these things though.  I covered the box top with sheet styrene, used a panel line tool to mark the "slabs", painted it with mist coats of two different gray tones, gave it a black wash and then a few smudges of Abtelung Engine Grease.  I finished it off with a couple coats of matte acrylic for protection.  I hope that answers your question, but if not, let's try again;)

Tankton:  I thought long and hard about buying the photoetch, but passed.  BTW, the build you did a couple years ago actually got me interested in this kit and the ship's unique design.  Thanks, it was an enjoyable build!

Simi:  Thanks for the kind remarks and the hint about "special characters"!  Seems the site doesn't like grammatical accents;)

Offline butch101

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 08:44:18 am »
thanks a lot for the info!

Enterprise © Bloc