Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New release  (Read 134 times)

Offline WeeMoe

• Lieutenant
New release
« on: October 10, 2017, 02:12:13 am »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CultTVmanGroup/permalink/10155524357626013/
Anyone else know the old 537 refit was being re released?

Offline whb64

• Captain
Re: New release
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 04:13:34 am »
The box art makes it look like the smoothie but the description makes it sound like it still has the brick pattern.

If it's the smoothie it's a homerun, if not...

Offline WeeMoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 05:54:57 am »
Think it'll be the exact same model but with the new dome stand and updated decals. Fingers crossed they update some parts at least

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:32:01 am »
The box art makes it look like the smoothie but the description makes it sound like it still has the brick pattern.

" The original issue had a smooth hull, but the tooling was later modified with etched panel lines.

This reissue will still have the panel lines."

Ick. Pass.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:57:42 am »
Yeah pass too.  I already have a couple of those.

Offline Tritanium

• Ensign
  • There are always possibilities.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 02:11:32 pm »
I hear a lot of trash talk about this kit!  What exactly is so bad about it?  I have the 1:537 Reliant.  It has panel lines too, but I never hear bad reviews of the Reliant.  What's up?

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 04:26:36 pm »
It's not panel lines that are the problem. The tried to put an aztec pattern all over it.
It looks like the ship was made with bricks.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline Tritanium

• Ensign
  • There are always possibilities.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 05:39:40 pm »
Ah.  Sounds gruesome.  No grinding that off, I take it.  It's just that I love this scale.

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 06:19:08 pm »
It's not panel lines that are the problem. The tried to put an aztec pattern all over it.
It looks like the ship was made with bricks.
They tried ;)

Tritanium it looks more like a stone castle block pattern, or some call it a brick pattern.  In a way I kind of like it if it was a kit bash, it looks like some sort of hull plating to me.  But for the Enterprise it is completely wrong and looks pretty bad because the ship never had anything like that.

Perhaps with the new release the 'panels' will be only slight.  I found with the Reliant that although they did fix a few things, the overall detail is much softer than the original release, in some areas the details that were on the original are completely gone on the re-issue. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:16:18 pm by whb64 »

Offline LynnInDenver

• Commander
    • My husband and I on YouTube - TG256
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 08:11:58 pm »
Ah.  Sounds gruesome.  No grinding that off, I take it.  It's just that I love this scale.

The big problem is it's on almost all the pieces, and I can imagine that trying to grind it off the molds would risk destroying part of the mold. Ironically, it would probably be cheaper to just make a new set of molds in that scale.

Between the horrible "mall floor tile" plating pattern, and the asymmetry of the kit, and that there's serious engineering issues with the pylons, most of us who have built one or more in the past, and moved up to modern Round 2 offerings of the subject, have kind of moved on from the 1/537 scale version. The Reliant kit engineering was light years past the old refit kit, even in its first release.

Offline Spencer

• Physicist and Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 01:46:56 pm »
Engraved aztec ... ugh ...

I had one when I was younger. I found it so ugly I just glued it all together without any paint and then the port pylon sagged.
Unless they've done something to improve this kit ... I'll pass.

'If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.'
Dr. Carl Sagan

My (still WIP) youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/redshirtfreddy

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 10:17:53 pm »
I just finished one of those kits.  I built up the Star Trek IV version.

On one of the builds I did, I tried to fill all of the 'aztec' engravings.  That didn't work out so well, and I wound up scrapping that build.  I found that if you just build the kit as is, and maybe throw some of the DLM parts on it to update the bridge/deflector housing/lower sensor dome, it really comes out looking pretty good.  I also worked with Jerry at hdamodelworx to get an aztec decal set made up for this thing.  He sells it on his site now.

It can be done!

I'll probably pick one of these up, just because. :)
Builder of all things StarShip...

Enterprise © Bloc