Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zvezda 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer  (Read 281 times)

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
Zvezda 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer
« on: October 14, 2017, 01:36:44 am »
Well, after lots of hemming and hawing, scrutinizing other builds and being inspired by modelers such as TK Iain, Robiwon & Scarecrow Joe, both here and on other modeling boards, I finally broke open the big box that arrived on my doorstep a couple of months ago and has been sitting to one side of my stash ever since.

I was impressed with the parts packaging. I heard a couple of horror stories about severely warped parts from early buyers, but I lucked out here.

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
Re: Zvezda 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:56:15 am »
Strange, I can't seem to post up the remainder of my mission statement for this build...  ::)

Ah well, just watch this space over time, and wish me luck!

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 03:32:40 pm »
Ah well, just watch this space over time, and wish me luck!

Luck!

Look forward to seeing posts as you progress.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline Madhatter

• Lieutenant
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 07:22:52 pm »
It's always good to see another one of these being built
Are you going to light it is keep it simple?

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:20:33 pm »
It's always good to see another one of these being built
Are you going to light it is keep it simple?

Oh she's getting lighting. The full monty.  ;D

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 02:41:05 am »
Mine is drawing to a close now with the charity auction next month so going to be watching your build closely for any ideas I can pinch when I get around to building my own.

Have fun 'cause it's a great kit.
Iain

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 09:37:59 am »
I've decided to kick things off with the main hanger, since it was the first thing that caught my eye back in 1977 when this thing lumbered overhead. I obtained some goodies from Falcon 3D and this includes a more detailed hanger, which has openings for lighting above the scallops, two smaller aft bays and some small ports in the forward corners.

Stock hanger cut out and removed:

Parts comparison:

This has to be ground flush in order to install the aftermarket part (which has its own overlapping surface detail):

Some minor greeblies will be added but I'm thinking on how to light this...leaning towards micro LED's since that would provide more uniform lighting as opposed to a large fiber optic in each scallop. I'll investigate my options. :)

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 07:57:17 am »
Nice add-on, Guns!!

This is looking awesome!!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 02:59:26 pm »
Thanks!

More alterations...removed most of the inner walls behind the trench pieces (lower hull shown) so that fiber optics won't get guillotined lol. I left the areas where the parts key into the walls with locating pegs; there is plenty of gluing surface on top of the trench parts for the upper hull.

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 11:41:33 pm »
Okay, after getting over a touch of the flu, a bit more progress.

I marked all planned locations for my windows. I haven't even done this to the upper and lower hulls yet!

Turning my attention to the bridge, I shaved off the hex bases for the kit domes. I filled them in with matching styrene stock and backed it with more of the same. Now I have a perfectly flat surface for the 3D printed parts. As a bonus, sealing the holes this way should minimize any light leaks, since I plan on mounting an led inside, to cut down on long fiber optic runs from the main body of the ship.

These will replace the poorly detailed stockers. The protective cage (which is removed, obviously) is a really nice touch.

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 06:54:27 pm »
Sweet. I think I am going to enjoy watching this build come together. Look forward to more as you progress.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Enterprise © Bloc