Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zvezda 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
Re: Zvezda 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 12:13:19 pm »
Linear sensor array, fancied up with some brass photoetch from Green Strawberry and a couple of bits from my spares box. Still deciding if this is done or it could use a little finishing off. I chucked a small piece of sprue in my roto-tool and spun it into the cone shape that sits on the face of the array.

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 12:27:26 pm »
At first I thought that the fancy micro-drill I got would be just the ticket for handling all those windows...after all it features multiple speeds and the three-jaw chuck holds tiny bits in better alignment than your typical four-jaw chuck. However, even at its slowest speed (which is pretty damn slow!) I was still melting the plastic if I wasn't careful. As a last resort I looked into a manual pin vise, and as luck was have it I ran upon some Starrett products online. Since I'm using 0.25 fiber I'm using 0.30 bits The Starrett works just fine and it doesn't walk the bit tip during the initial drilling. I have a ton of windows to do...thank God I bought a couple hundred bits!

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 12:40:05 pm »
Experimenting with lighting techniques for the main hanger. I initially tried 16 modified "lighthouse" LED's, trimmed down so that they fit flush on the inside. Things looked promising until I fired all of them up and shut the room lights off. Not only were they inconsistent in illumination levels, they also varied slightly in color even though they all came out of the same package! Thought for a moment, then scrounged up a scrap piece of double-density cool blue LED strip and held it up to the outside of the hanger. Well I'm be damned, the diodes just HAPPENED to light up PRECISELY with the holes.

Lovely.  ;D

Now to come up with a way to mount them. I'll have to cover the extra diode with something opaque. Piece of electrical shrink-wrap maybe?

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 12:45:33 pm »
Gonna' close out this update with a random greeblie haha.

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 05:12:21 pm »
The sensor array looks incredible. Well, the whole thing does. And that's a great find about double-density LED tape lining up with the main hangar slots.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 07:17:28 pm »
It's in watching builds like this that I alternately pass through "I need to do this!" and "stay away, yours will only look like crap in comparison!"
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline modelerdave

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 08:03:04 pm »
It's in watching builds like this that I alternately pass through "I need to do this!" and "stay away, yours will only look like crap in comparison!"

I know exactly how you feel! The 1/350 Enterprise refits kind of freak me out a little...lol

Offline Madhatter

• Commander
  • Plastic Surgeon in Training
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 02:09:54 am »
I was racking my brain for ages on how to light the hangar bay and now, thanks to you, I know! Where did you get the lighting strip from? The roll I have isn't suitable as the SMD's are too far apart.
I am loving the detailing you've added - it looks awesome! I wish I had done the plate thing against the side of the bridge now, but alas, I shall have to make do with the additions I have already done
Those side walls also look the part. If I hadn't already done the engine block I might have considered adding that extra few mils to the walls. As it is, again, I shall have to make do and besides, I'm just not that fastidious about their height :)

Where is that last greeblie going to go? The back of the neck?

And lastly, that sensor thingy up top looks AWESOME!!!! Are you going to raise yours? I want to but I have to add some missing detail from the back as Zvezda seem to only want you to lay it flat and neglected to add the back detail

Looking forward to seeing more from you Guns!

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 10:19:35 am »
I was racking my brain for ages on how to light the hangar bay and now, thanks to you, I know! Where did you get the lighting strip from? The roll I have isn't suitable as the SMD's are too far apart.
I am loving the detailing you've added - it looks awesome! I wish I had done the plate thing against the side of the bridge now, but alas, I shall have to make do with the additions I have already done
Those side walls also look the part. If I hadn't already done the engine block I might have considered adding that extra few mils to the walls. As it is, again, I shall have to make do and besides, I'm just not that fastidious about their height :)

Where is that last greeblie going to go? The back of the neck?

And lastly, that sensor thingy up top looks AWESOME!!!! Are you going to raise yours? I want to but I have to add some missing detail from the back as Zvezda seem to only want you to lay it flat and neglected to add the back detail

Looking forward to seeing more from you Guns!

Thanks for the kind words Mad! :) There are plenty of online sources for the strip, you'll need to specify "double-density" ones that have twice the # of diodes:

I got mine off Ebay.

The sensor will definitely be installed in the upright position, and you're right, I'll be adding some detail to the rather bland backside of the antenna. As for that last greeblie, I was bored and threw some scraps together. I have no idea where it'll go lol.

Enterprise © Bloc