Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Enterprise D Build Log  (Read 373 times)

Offline gal8150

• Lieutenant
1/1400 Enterprise D Build Log
« on: October 17, 2017, 06:49:41 pm »
Hello fellow modelers!

Firstly, huge fan of all of your work.  You've all been a huge inspiration to me, so I thought I'd try to repay the favor in some way.   I started this build some time ago, and finally have some free time to sit down and write a post about it. Let's start with the build list...

Parts
1/1400 Enterprise D (clear molded - First run)
Aztek paint masks (Don's Light and Magic)
1/1400 Enterprise-D Clear Parts Mask Set (Starship Modeler)
1/350 Scale Refit/ENTERPRISE-A Pole Stand (Trekmodeler)

Paint
Tamiya grey primer 180ml Spray Can
Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black 170ml Spray
Light Ghost Gray (FS 36375) 1/2 oz Enamel Paint
Vallejo Neutral Gray (70.992)
Vallejo Liquid Copper (797)

Lighting
Enterprise D Light kit (Tenacontrols)
white strip LEDs, 3mm LEDs (green, red, warm white)

Build Log

Not a fan of the raised grid lines, I felt they did a disservice to the scale.  So I sanded them down.  Used 320 grit sandpaper.  Probably my least favorite part of the process, but I really like the smoothie look. 

I hand drilled out 2 mini holes on the secondary hull in the rear to run fiber optics for the red and green nav lights, then dremeled out trenches to run magnet wire to the nacelles. Putty. Sand. Pop a cold beer to celebrate not screwing up either.  ;D

Next, I primed/light blocked the parts. Base coat is actually the tamiya gray primer. (I was worried this would be too dark, but it looked good with the light ghost gray for the aztecs on a test section.  I think its a fairly good contrast.

Laid down the paint masks and airbrushed the light ghost gray. This was arguably the most time consuming step, but for sure one of the most rewarding.  I felt the decals that came with the kit were just a bit too blue for this scale.  (Perhaps they'd be better suited for a 1/1000 Enterprise D. (hint. hint. amt/Polar Lights.) Also, the gray toned on-screen version is such a classic look, imho. Some touch ups, then masked and airbrushed the phaser banks with neutral gray.

Scraped out a good number of windows to get that 'lived in look', will black out the rest.

That's all for now. More to come!

A few thoughts
1. Tenacontrols boards are just the best!
2. I really liked Don's paint mask set.  It was a good vinyl, no residue, and a great authentic looking design.  I caution care in removing the masks with a hobby knife, I had to re-light block a few specs of chipped paint on the saucer pieces.
3. Fit issues persist with the mold on the re-pop of this kit, and the incorrect main impulse engine is still a bummer.  Wish I could have found the after market corrected part online somewhere, but...  :-\

I'll be sealing up the saucer, gloss coating, and decaling the markings.  I should be back with a final update and pics sometime in the next few days.

Best,

Nick
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:01:11 pm by gal8150 »

Offline Lestatdelc

• Captain
    • Third Wave Design
Re: 1/1400 Enterprise D Build Log
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 03:03:06 pm »
Looking very nice. Eager to see more as your build progresses.
Follow along with my Star Trek: The Motion Picture Polar Lights 1:350 scale U.S.S. Enterprise build on my website, Third Wave Design

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 04:47:38 pm »
Beautiful paintwork!  I really like the smooth look too.  When I did mine, I didn't sand down the panel lines, and it made for a fun time putting on the aztec decals.  I think on the next one, those lines are coming off!
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:00:50 am »
Whoa! Very nice job, Nick!!

Keep going! Love to work you've done so far!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Quarky

• Commander
  • Jamie
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 01:12:13 pm »
Great work so far...following closely as I'm waiting for the DLM masks myself!

CHeers 
"We're made of star stuff"

Carl Sagan

Jamie

Offline gal8150

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 07:05:17 am »
Thank you guys for such kind feedback!! I've got the saucer all sealed up.  Just working on some paint touch ups before clear coat and applying the decal markings.  Then I should be all wrapped up.  I'll post a bunch of final pics once she's ready to leave spacedock.  But, for now, here's a few glamour pics of her all lit up. (I couldn't resist,  8)). 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:18:08 am by gal8150 »

Offline gal8150

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 07:09:51 am »
Great work so far...following closely as I'm waiting for the DLM masks myself!

CHeers

I think you'll be pleased.  Don's masks really do the model justice.  They're a bit tedious to apply and remove, but the payoff is totally worth it.  I'm really glad I decided to airbrush the aztecs instead of using the decals.   

Offline MrBrightside

• Ensign
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 08:15:07 am »
This looks fantastic! What did you do to get the lighting effect for the saucer arboretum?

Offline gal8150

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 08:26:51 am »
This looks fantastic! What did you do to get the lighting effect for the saucer arboretum?

Thanks! I made sure not to light block the top of the neck and the bottom of the saucer where the two meet so the lighting from the neck illuminated the arboretum. (there's not a whole lot head space to run lighting in that area of the saucer.)  I also hand brushed some Vallejo clear blue underneath the arboretum windows, to give it that blue hue.

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 03:11:34 am »
Holy crap. Beautiful. You're making me want to start on my own, but I am waiting for the Green Strawberry photoetched set first.

So the deflector dish... did you get paint masks for that from the mask set from Starship Modeler?

Also, is light ghost gray the base color for the Enterprise D and E?

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 05:24:37 am »
Question...  how well do the masks line up with the raised Aztec panel lines molded into the kit?

Offline gal8150

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 09:15:15 am »
Holy crap. Beautiful. You're making me want to start on my own, but I am waiting for the Green Strawberry photoetched set first.

So the deflector dish... did you get paint masks for that from the mask set from Starship Modeler?

Also, is light ghost gray the base color for the Enterprise D and E?

Yes, clear part paint masks for the deflector dish were the ones from Starship modeler.  I didn't use the window masks, just scraped my windows.  The deflector mask worked wonderfully though.  Very clean look.

For the base color, I actually used Tamiya Grey Primer, then airbrushed over the masks using the light ghost grey.  In the end the overall color reads much more light ghost grey based on how the aztecs masks covered.  For the Ent E (which is my next build, so funny you bring that up), I'm going to go with Tamiya Insignia White (AS-20) as my base, with several different shades of gray for detail and aztecing. I'm going to use some left over JJ-prise paint masks from orbital drydock to achieve the hull plating look. Fingers crossed.  I'll also do a build log on that one once my Ent-D is finished.

Offline gal8150

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 09:19:27 am »
Question...  how well do the masks line up with the raised Aztec panel lines molded into the kit?

I sanded down the raised grid lines to get the smoothie look. So not too sure how they would align.   I can say though, that the masks line up pretty well with the recessed panel lines. I used the recessed lines as a placement guide. 

Offline greg

• Commander
  • aka SteveTheFish, TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan
    • Greg's Neat-o Homepage
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 10:59:42 pm »
Thanks for the color information. I always thought that the Enterprise E is a gray color like the D is. I know the C calls for Russian Flanker blue colors in the painting instructions.

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 06:05:03 pm »
Looking great! I love the subtle aztec pattern because it more closely mimics what my eyes saw rather than the model's actual color. Bonus points for an accurate number of lit windows too.
-Dave

Enterprise © Bloc