Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MPC Eagle 1 Transporter  (Read 436 times)

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
MPC Eagle 1 Transporter
« on: June 06, 2018, 02:44:36 pm »
Hi All,

I've decided to do a non-Star Trek related project for once, and I've always like the look of the Eagle from Space: 1999. I've filled and sanded all of the components and given it a nice coat of Tamiya light gray primer. The big challenge was finding how to fill the sensors on the sides of the command module.

I tried filling them and sanding smooth but, that's a pretty small space to try and sand. I bought a set of sensors from Mike Reader but, I already cemented the command module together and didn't want to have to drill holes and figure out how I was going to hold them in place to glue. Then lo and behold I saw a set of photo-etch parts from Paragrafix on Culttvman's site, and they had what I needed plus much easier to install. I will save Mike's parts for the next one. :) I am very happy with the result and contemplating whether or not I want to use the rest of the photo-etch sheet to add more detail. I'm pretty far along and would have to go back and rework a couple of things.

I have everything primed and ready for paint although I am debating what color white I want for the base coat, any suggestions?

I have Aztek Dummy paint masks to paint the tubing so I am curious what color I want to paint the spaces in between. Not sure if I want to go with a dark gray or a black. Also, I have to figure out what color gray I want to paint the various patches around the ship.

Thanks for taking a look, and I look forward to any suggestions that anyone has to offer.

Have a good day,

Tom

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
Re: MPC Eagle 1 Transporter
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:20:23 pm »
I sell a set of decals for the grey plating for this. Message me if your interested.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
  • In brightest day, in darkest night....
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 12:05:19 am »
The base coat is ideally an off-white, just a touch of grey.  Last time I built it I used straight camoflage grey, which looked nice but was probably darker than it should be.  You could mix an off-white, or you could use grey primer and airbrush thin layers of white paint over it until you are happy with the tone.  This could also give you nice opportunity for preshading. 

In between the bars you should pick a dark grey: what you are trying to simulate is the inner components hidden by shadow.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:49:32 am by starsiegeplayer »

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 09:49:40 pm »
Thanks a lot Starsiegeplayer, that gives me something to think about for the base coat. I think I am on the same page as you regarding the color between the bars. If I go too dark or too light the effect will be way off.

Tankton, I sent you a PM Sir.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 02:26:15 am »
Watching this with great interest so I can pinch all your ideas when I get around to my 22" Eagle.

Looking good. ;D
Iain

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 06:06:03 am »
Welcome back, Tom!

I have considered this ship for a while but my stash keeps me from buying it; and the rate at which I build, I may have to will my stash to "The Next Generation!"

(Didja see what I did there?! :D )

Anyway, I know your gonna do great on this build and I will be following along.

Have fun!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 10:06:30 pm »
Watching this with great interest so I can pinch all your ideas when I get around to my 22" Eagle.

Looking good. ;D

If I can be an inspiration to you in any I would be honored. :)

Welcome back, Tom!

I have considered this ship for a while but my stash keeps me from buying it; and the rate at which I build, I may have to will my stash to "The Next Generation!"

(Didja see what I did there?! :D )

Anyway, I know your gonna do great on this build and I will be following along.

Thank you so much Steve! Yes, I definitely saw what you were trying to convey.;) Thanks for the good wishes on this project and i really appreciate the support Sir! :)

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 07:35:26 am »

If you would like to see my old build just to get a feel for how those colors looked

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=4523.msg61623#msg61623

That build used camoflage grey for the hull, and intermediate blue for the shadow areas.  I think I would use a different pallette this time but it might give you a frame of reference.

One thing to keep in mind when getting your hull shading correct is that the moonbase alpha decals, which are straight white on the borders, do not blend in with the hull.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:58:45 am by starsiegeplayer »

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 06:54:32 pm »
I took a look at your build, nice work Sir! How did you paint the shadow areas? I have Aztek Dummy masks so I was going to paint the shadow areas first then mask and paint the rest of the after.

Offline jwood314

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 08:57:38 pm »
Awesome looking model, how long is it when completed?

Cheers,

Offline starsiegeplayer

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 07:22:26 am »
I took a look at your build, nice work Sir! How did you paint the shadow areas? I have Aztek Dummy masks so I was going to paint the shadow areas first then mask and paint the rest of the after.
I did them in the opposite order: base coat first, then hand masking the rails and brush painting the shadow.  I think the Aztec Dummy method with shadow first and the sharp vinyl masks will give superior results.

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 08:54:48 pm »
The Eagle in my stash is the (relatively) tiny 12" version, but I enjoy seeing what everyone does with their own builds.  For that one I am alternating between 'cold shutdown' and 'ready to takeoff'.  That no lights or all lights.

Looking forward to what you decide on paint and how you like it!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Offline TD1701

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 10:05:37 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the support. :) I am hoping to get something done on it in the next week or two. I had to stop and take care of some other business and finish painting on another project.

Enterprise © Bloc