Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spindrift from Land of the Giants by Polar Lights  (Read 7322 times)

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
Re: Spindrift from Land of the Giants by Polar Lights
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2018, 04:07:27 pm »
Here are the finished pics of Barry and Chipper. I painted Chipper a mix of white, grey, black, and a little tan...

Barry and Chipper Finished by trekriffic, on Flickr

OK. Back to the Spindrift...

A basic ceiling grid pattern for the cockpit was made from strips of adhesive backed aluminum tape. I watched stills from the show to get the spacing right on the panels closest to the bow:

Roof of pilot's cabin by trekriffic, on Flickr

The ceiling fits into a slot in the widow frame in front. The fit is pretty good and test fitting showed no interference with the top of the hull:

Ceiling Test Fit by trekriffic, on Flickr

From watching the pilot episode I knew the corridor had lighting panels I so duplicated that look:

Light Panels in Corridor by trekriffic, on Flickr

Closeup showing the LEDs that will light up the corridor and pilot's cabin. The single LED is wired in parallel with the 12V LED strip using a 470 ohm resistor. :

Upper Hull Cabin LEDs by trekriffic, on Flickr

Here's a test of the main LED in the back of the pilot's cabin. With this LED and the two forward the cabin will be well lit:

Light Test - Pilot's Cabin by trekriffic, on Flickr

The corridor lights up well to reveal our lovely leopard print accordion closet doors:

Light Test - corridor by trekriffic, on Flickr

Onward to wiring the passenger cabin lights. There will be three LEDs per side wired in series with a 150 ohm resistor:

Passenger Cabin LEDs by trekriffic, on Flickr

Prior to soldering I protected the styrene plastic using aluminum foil:

Strips of Foil by trekriffic, on Flickr

After soldering, Liquid electrical tape was brushed over the entire assembly.

Insulating Solder Joints by trekriffic, on Flickr

2mm cool white flat head style LEDs were used. These will light up the passengers really well:

Passenger Cabin LEDs by trekriffic, on Flickr

Port Side Passenger Cabin Lights by trekriffic, on Flickr

Fitzhugh light test. Wanted to see how the light shined on one of the passengers:

Fitzhugh Light Test by trekriffic, on Flickr

Fitzhugh Light Test by trekriffic, on Flickr

More to come!
Steve

Him: "Chinese voices in his head? That's a little weird."
Her: "But... you hear voices don't you?"
Him: "Not Chinese!"

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2018, 11:52:41 am »
Glued the figures to their seats in the passenger cabin...

Mark Wilson, Valerie Scott, and Barry Lockridge. Glued in with 5-minute epoxy:

Passengers Glued into Seats by trekriffic, on Flickr

Passengers Overhead from Rear by trekriffic, on Flickr

Passengers Overhead from Rear by trekriffic, on Flickr

The observant LOTG fan will note that I switched Barry and Chipper from one side to the other side of the cabin. I did that because I wanted Chipper's face to be visible thru the window.

Betty Hamilton and Alexander Fitzhugh:

Stewardess and Passenger Glued into Seats by trekriffic, on Flickr

Betty and Fitzhugh by trekriffic, on Flickr

Betty and Fitzhugh by trekriffic, on Flickr

Window View by trekriffic, on Flickr

Nice overhead shot:

Barry and Chipper, Valerie, and Mark by trekriffic, on Flickr

More window shots:

Another Window View by trekriffic, on Flickr

Another Window View by trekriffic, on Flickr

Nice view of Dan's backside:

View from Rear of Cabin by trekriffic, on Flickr

Overhead of the whole lower hull:

Overhead of Spindrift by trekriffic, on Flickr

Trouble Ahead!

Lit Cabins by trekriffic, on Flickr

Light Test by trekriffic, on Flickr
Steve

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2018, 11:53:28 am »
Light Test...

Light Test by trekriffic, on Flickr

Ceiling grid panels in place. These will be glued in place with epoxy:

Ceiling Grid Panels by trekriffic, on Flickr

I lit the center ceiling panel by holding it under my worklight but it will not actually be lit once the model is sealed up:

Passenger Cabin by trekriffic, on Flickr

The rear wall and storage cabinet/locker at the back of the passenger cabin were glued in place using epoxy and CA:

Rear Wall Installed by trekriffic, on Flickr

Back of Passenger Cabin Left Side by trekriffic, on Flickr

Back of Passenger Cabin Right Side by trekriffic, on Flickr
Steve

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:45 pm »
Awesome! 8)
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2018, 07:20:04 am »
Awesome! 8)

Agreed, Dan!

Steve, once again you display your fabulous talent as an artist and craftsman!

I love the use of the aluminum tape for the light panels. I will have to use that myself!

Just a clarification on the aluminum foil under the solder joints; is that to keep the solder from dripping on the styrene or is it a heat sink of some sort so only the joint gets hot? Learning about more materials, too - the liquid electrician's tape - inspired. I will have to go and get some for my current project. Does it work for light blocking, too? I'm guessing it has different properties than tulip paint.

Thanks for the tips and for the artistry!

Keep going! Nearing the finish line!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2018, 05:50:47 pm »
Awesome! 8)

Agreed, Dan!

Steve, once again you display your fabulous talent as an artist and craftsman!

I love the use of the aluminum tape for the light panels. I will have to use that myself!

Just a clarification on the aluminum foil under the solder joints; is that to keep the solder from dripping on the styrene or is it a heat sink of some sort so only the joint gets hot? It was to protect the plastic.

Learning about more materials, too - the liquid electrician's tape - inspired. I will have to go and get some for my current project. Does it work for light blocking, too?
Yes, light blocking is better tham Tulip Paint if you get the black Liquid Electrician's tape.  I've seen it in green too. Liquid Electrician's Tape is the 3M brand name, Harbor Freight has a slightly cheaper generic equivalent.

I'm guessing it has different properties than tulip paint.
The LET is actually rubber and both taste totally different.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Answers in red.
Steve

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2018, 07:47:16 am »
I'm guessing it has different properties than tulip paint.
The LET is actually rubber and both taste totally different.

Uhm...Steve...trekriffic...I don't think you are supposed to "taste" either one. Although it might explain your TOS Episode of "A Balance of Errors."  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for the clarifications!

The other Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2018, 01:49:44 pm »
As with so many of your builds, amazing detail work here Steve....   Looks like you're nearing the finish line   :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2018, 11:45:54 am »
As with so many of your builds, amazing detail work here Steve....   Looks like you're nearing the finish line   :b

Thanks a lot!

Greetings again fellow LOTG fans. Got a lot done last week while I was off work.
Not everything went so smoothly; I had to tear the top parts of the hull off and the lower half re-glue them after gluing them down.

The first time was because the passenger cabin window insert on the starboard side broke free from the inside of the upper forward hull piece. I'd glued it in with epoxy but with the curvature of the hull and some flexing it experienced while I was gluing it down (with Testors cement and CA) to the lower hull the epoxy broke loose and the insert slid down into the hull. So I ripped the hull apart, found the rogue clear insert and glued both in with more epoxy followed by Gorilla Glue which is polyurethane based. It's their brown glue. That stuff foams up as it dries so you want to be careful and not get carried away with it. Once that dried I had a hard as rock bond and the inserts stayed put without further incident.

The second time I had to rip off the back upper hull after sealing everything up. I did a light test and half the engine flashers were out! Also, the lights at the front of the ship above the pilot's control console didn't work!??? So I pulled her back end apart and totally rewired the Tenacontrols board wires and the circuits for the pilot cabin lights, oh, and the dome on top of the ship would only stay on for about 5 seconds before going out! After re-wiring it stays on for about 30 seconds. Anyway, it always comes back on again when I first turn on the power.  I think the problem is I forgot I had soldered a resistor onto the dome LED circuit early on during this build and mistakenly attached a second resistor further on down the line when I started soldering the wires to power. So the dome LEDs have twice the number of resistors than it should have. Still, 30 seconds gives me enough time to snap photos with the light on so not a total disaster. The pilot cabin circuit was intermittent due to a bad solder joint. It was fixed and the lights stayed on. Now the hull is glued back together and I am engaged with sanding the putty I needed to use to close some rather hideous seams.

Anyway, here are some photos to bring you guys up to date...

The first test fit of the aft upper hull went well...

Aft Upper Hull Test Fit by trekriffic, on Flickr

Using .015 clear styrene sheet I cut a bulkhead to run down the center of the aft "engine bay". Holes were drilled in it for LED mounting. I left the anti-scratch film on it to act as a diffuser:

Center LED Wall by trekriffic, on Flickr

A rectangle of clear red styrene was trimmed to fit the aft passenger cabin light wall:

Red Transparent Styrene by trekriffic, on Flickr

Placing the clear red panel behind the wall and holding it up to the light makes for a nice red glow:

Passenger Engine Glow Wall Lit by trekriffic, on Flickr

Two Red LEDs will attach to Tenacontrols Board and slowly pulse up and down. Here is the underside of the panel after coating with liquid electical tape. The panel will mount low on the wall behind the long storage cabinet at the back of the passenger cabin:

LEDs for Aft Glow Wall by trekriffic, on Flickr

The panel was covered with aluminum tape and glued between the clear bulkhead and the engine glow wall:

Pair of LEDs in Place Behind Wall by trekriffic, on Flickr

Panels were cut from clear red styrene sheet using paper templates. Elmer's clear craft glue works well to glue them in place behind the engine exhaust vents:

Clear Red Panels for Engine Vents by trekriffic, on Flickr

Gorilla glue was used for added strength to hold the passenger cabin windows firmly in place. The glue expands like a foam and dries rock hard. Only a little is needed:

Windows Glued Into Upper Forward Hull by trekriffic, on Flickr

The passenger cabin windows were masked and the edges sealed with Future to protect them during the next steps. A fine black enamel paint pen was run along the inside of the frames to look like black weatherstripping:

Window Masking by trekriffic, on Flickr

Lots of wires to be soldered. Here I use "helping hands" to hold an LED up tight to the wire while I solder it to the positive leg:

Soldering by trekriffic, on Flickr

I created a slanted shelf by bending the diffuser panel plastic at an angle. The panel was made from milk jug plastic and sits behind the red clear panel that attaches to the back of the wall at the rear of the passenger compartment:

Tenacontrols Board Placement by trekriffic, on Flickr

This is how the bow looks after you glue the back end of the forward upper hull to the lower hull.  The upper hull needs to be forced down over the top of the window frame in the front to try and cover this large gap:

Upper Bow Window and Grill Seam by trekriffic, on Flickr
Steve

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2018, 11:46:43 am »
Engine lights...

Six LEDs wired in parallel - three on each circuit. The black wire is common while the Tencontrols flasher board has two white wires for each of the two circuits. This is actually the second set of 6 LEDs I soldered for the engine glow effect. The first time I used the red LEDs that came from Tenacontrols but a few burned out over the course of soldering all these wires so I ended up replacing all six LEDs using some high brightness clear white LEDs I had gotten at Radio Shack awhile back:

LEDs Wired for Engine Glow Effect by trekriffic, on Flickr

The LEDs in place in the "glow wall". The white LEDs will glow brighter than the original red LEDs:

LEDs Mounted in Wall by trekriffic, on Flickr

The two forward and two aft facing LEDs got semi-opaque Glide dental floss tubes slipped over them to even out their glow:

Floss Tubes for Diffusion of White LED light by trekriffic, on Flickr

I wasn't getting enough brightness in the engine compartment which prompted me to add two sections of white LED strip to the upper and lower hull halves at the aft end of the model. I tried to be careful not to overpower the pulsing LEDs with the strips:

Supplemental LED Strip by trekriffic, on Flickr

Additional LED Strips by trekriffic, on Flickr

After having to tear loose the glued upper hull due to issues with the engine and pilot cabin lights discovered after I had sealed up the hull (before redoing the wiring) then regluing the upper hull halves after the repairs/changes were made was not a pretty sight. I can see hours of puttying and sanding ahead for me:

Horendous Seams by trekriffic, on Flickr
Steve

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2018, 11:47:47 am »
The saga continues...

The gap in the upper hull and window frame was closed about 75% using Plastic Surgery glue and holding for about 1 minute. More glue was then run along the seam for added strength.
The next step is using putty to complete the contours:

Bow Under the Hood by trekriffic, on Flickr

Did I say there was putty in my future? Nice holes on view in these shotsght:

More Ugly Seams by trekriffic, on Flickr

Another Nice Hole to Fill by trekriffic, on Flickr

Engine exhaust vent masking:

Engine Exhaust Vent Masking by trekriffic, on Flickr

I used Tamiya Basic polyester putty to fill and gaps and re-sculpt contours. This dried and was sanded with a medium grit sanding stick:

Puttied and Sanded by trekriffic, on Flickr

More Purrty  and Sannding by trekriffic, on Flickr

Still more sanding to do but I wanted her tailfin attached so I could putty some gaps at the front tip of it:

Spindrift Gets Her Tail by trekriffic, on Flickr

To fill in the area under the nose above the grills and window ports I used AVES. This is the first application of two to cover the seams and give this area the proper contours as seen in profile images of the Spindrift model and the blueprints:

First AVES Putty by trekriffic, on Flickr

Close by trekriffic, on Flickr

A thin styrene strip was glued to the AVES where it meets the window frames and grills. The last layer of AVES will be laid down over the strip leaving a nice clean edge:

Styrene Strip by trekriffic, on Flickr

The second layer of AVES was laid down and feathered into the edge of the strip using dental tools:

Second Layer of AVES by trekriffic, on Flickr

The new nose profile. This closely matches the angle of the nose as seen in photos and some blueprints:

New Profile by trekriffic, on Flickr

AVES was also used to bridge the gap between the upper hull halves. The channel the fin slides into had to be bridged by sculpting the putty to match the channel:

Scupting the Tail by trekriffic, on Flickr

That's it for now. Just spending time sanding before applying some primer, then a coat of black for light blocking, maybe a shot of white primer then a shot of yellow before applying finishing orange coats.

Stay tuned!
Steve

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2018, 08:45:00 am »
Steve, with all the electronics you have packed in there, it looks like it should be a Tricorder or spectrum analyzer or sumpthin!!

Sorry to read about your troubles with "having to tear loose the glued upper hull due to issues with the engine and pilot cabin lights". Needless to say I have had to do that - unfortunately more than once.

Just a quick question - what are you using to mask your windows? Is it just masking tape or a masking fluid of some sort?

As always, it's great to see your work!

Keep going!

Steve 2

Offline RockyD88

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2018, 09:52:09 am »
 as usual you are knocking it out of the park with this one, the amount of detail is insane.

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2018, 05:40:57 pm »
Decided to unmask the bow window ports in case any of the tape had come unsealed along the edges. Was planning a quick re-masking with fresh tape before priming when I noticed one of my worst fears.... Both windows had a tiny bit of "crap" on the inside surface??? It was quite clearly visible; and the model was now most truly and assuredly sealed up.
No way to remove it.
Steve

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2018, 09:09:03 am »
Decided to unmask the bow window ports in case any of the tape had come unsealed along the edges. Was planning a quick re-masking with fresh tape before priming when I noticed one of my worst fears.... Both windows had a tiny bit of "crap" on the inside surface??? It was quite clearly visible; and the model was now most truly and assuredly sealed up.
No way to remove it.

Enterprise © Bloc