Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spindrift from Land of the Giants by Polar Lights  (Read 501 times)

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
Re: Spindrift from Land of the Giants by Polar Lights
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 10:41:49 am »
Thanks Karve. Thanks Manu. Overall, I am quite pleased with how the passenger chairs are turning out. Over the weekend I painted the frames with Model Master aluminum enamel. Still some black bands to paint on back of the seats (straps to hold the seatback to the frame) and straps to hold the red headrest to the top of each seat. Alternatively I may use black decal material. Would make for a neater look so probably will go that route instead of paint. I'll see about posting some more pics today.
Steve

Him: "Chinese voices in his head? That's a little weird."
Her: "But... you hear voices don't you?"
Him: "Not Chinese!"

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 12:07:22 pm »
Trekriffic, one day, I'm gonna grow up (however unlikely that will be) and be a real model artist like you!

Outstanding detail work! Your magnifier loops must be set on a bazillion to make the yoke and the seats!

Keep going!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 01:05:06 pm »
Your magnifier loops must be set on a bazillion to make the yoke and the seats!

You would think that but, to be honest, I just use my naked eyeballs for most of this work. Sometimes there's a benefit to being nearsighted!  ;D
Steve

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 10:15:34 am »
Time for a Giant update I think...

The cockpit sidewalls were painted. I like the greenish gray tone of Light Sea Gray. It went on nice and smooth with a brush. Gotta love a fresh bottle of paint:

Cockpit Sidewalls Painted by trekriffic, on Flickr

Jumping about...

I taped the grills and windshield frame in place to see how the fit was:

Upper Forward to Lower Hull Test Fit by trekriffic, on Flickr

This is how I intend the bow profile to look when I'm done.

Test Fit Bow Profile by trekriffic, on Flickr

Back to the upper dome lighting. Two red LEDs were wired in series. I did a light test to get the spacing just right so the dome is evenly lit then glued the panel in using epoxy:

Upper Dome LED Wiring by trekriffic, on Flickr

I covered up the dome wiring using a piece of styrene square tubing cut in half and glued with Plastic Surgery CA:

Cover for Dome Wiring by trekriffic, on Flickr

Main power trunks...

Two black wires and one white wire were fed thru the hole in the underside. One black wire with resistor was soldered to the negative leg of the starboard headlight before being wired in series to the port LED. The white wire was soldered to the positive leg of the port LED and extended to the back of the ship as it is is the common bus for both circuits. One circuit will light the engines and cabin lights while the other will only operate the bow headlights:

Power Wires by trekriffic, on Flickr

The passenger cabin window shelves were too thin so I thickened them using styrene strip glued to the underside:

Shelf Thickening by trekriffic, on Flickr

I used brown and rust enamels to simulate the wood grain look under the window shelves:

Painting Wood Grain by trekriffic, on Flickr

Some delicate brushwork was needed to finish up the arms, silver chair frames and bases for the seats:

Brush Painting the Passenger Seats by trekriffic, on Flickr

Reddish orange, black, and aluminum enamels were used. Painting the narrow black straps on the headrest and on the backs of the seats took  a steady hand.  After the paint dried the seats got a coat of Future:

Finished Painting the Seats by trekriffic, on Flickr

Seat Back by trekriffic, on Flickr

Next up... making the passenger comm stations...

Passenger Comm Stations by trekriffic, on Flickr
Steve

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 05:41:25 pm »
Here we go... on to the passenger comm stations....

I used styrene sheet and round tubing to scratch build the passenger communication stations. The discs are slightly oversized which was fine since I planned to sand them down to match the circumference of the little shrouds:

Making the Comm Stations by trekriffic, on Flickr

All finished...

I used black and reddish-orange enamels to brush paint these tiny comm stations. The white buttons were dotted onto some leftover clear decal material using a pointed toothpick. Once the paint dried the decals were sealed with Future before being soaked in warm water and floated into place on the consoles:

Finished Comm Stations by trekriffic, on Flickr

To the right in the above photo you can see the throttle joysticks for the pilot and copilot. These are made from brass rod and a teeny, tiny brick of polystrene. The brass rod is bent at an L angle and brushed with black Tulip fabric paint so they look more like handles.

The comm sttaions after gluing in place with epoxy. Overall I'm pretty happy with how these turned out. Funny, they remind me of ladybugs, the size is about right:

Passenger Chairs and Comm Stations by trekriffic, on Flickr

Mods to cokpit forward wall sections..,

The top of each forward cockpit side wall had to be ground down to allow the upper hull to mate up with the window frame and bow side grills:

Mods to Cockpit Forward Walls by trekriffic, on Flickr

Cockpit walls installed...

The aft angled walls still need their control panel decals. The brown triangular recessed panels would eventually get painted over with white enamel. I mistakenly went with rust brown at first based on the Lunar Models instruction sheet but in viewing the pilot episode again there was a certain shot where you could just barely see the side panels in the bow and they were either white or a very light gray, certainly not brown:

Cockpit Walls installed by trekriffic, on Flickr

Monitor and control console decals have been trimmed and placed on the sidewalls. The main dashboard shelf is also given a test fit:

Cockpit Control Panel Decals by trekriffic, on Flickr

Next we have the mysterious object at the rear of the passenger cabin. Is it an air conditioning unit or a storage chest/cabinet?

Aft Passenger Cabin Wall
Steve

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 07:36:36 am »
Steve (trekriffic), once again I am blown away by your attention to detail and your ability to paint said details; especially in so small of scale! Phenomenal!

The chairs look fabulous. Here again, the detail is astonishing. In case I missed it, how did you make the base of the chairs?

The "ladybugs" look great and your use of the toothpick speaks to an experienced and steady hand.

The Light Sea Grey paint, with it's greenish tint, reminds me of the Light AirCraft Grey I used on my TOS Romulan BoP. Under certain lights it looked green and under others it looked grey. The term "metamerizim" comes to mind, but I may not be using it correctly.

Anyway, keep going and posting. This is a fascinating build!

LLAP!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 10:45:20 am »
The chairs look fabulous. Here again, the detail is astonishing. In case I missed it, how did you make the base of the chairs?
LLAP!

Steve

Thanks for the comments Steve. The bases were made by punching small discs out of sheet styrene using a hole punch set I got at Harbor Freight.
Steve

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »
I have this kit, or more precisely the original Aurora kit. I can't imagine doing the extra detail work you have put in on this one. One Giant thumbs up👍 Hope you don't mind if I borrow a few things from your build when I get back to mine.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 04:41:12 pm »
You certainly are a master of detail Steve....  as we see in all of your work.

I have a few of these kits in the stash, but the box doesn't state a scale. As I vaguely recall from the original Aurora build though, I think the original kit was quite a bit larger than this kit?

Anyway, this is looking fantastic....   looking forward to seeing it progress.  :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 06:33:53 pm »
I have this kit, or more precisely the original Aurora kit. I can't imagine doing the extra detail work you have put in on this one. One Giant thumbs up👍 Hope you don't mind if I borrow a few things from your build when I get back to mine.

I misspoke earlier. Turns out my kit is the Polar Lights release, which wasn't a repop of the Aurora kit, but a reverse engineered kit from a new mold. At least it was new in 2002. The consensus on scale seems to be somewhere between 1/64 and 1/72.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 04:43:49 pm »

I misspoke earlier. Turns out my kit is the Polar Lights release, which wasn't a repop of the Aurora kit, but a reverse engineered kit from a new mold. At least it was new in 2002. The consensus on scale seems to be somewhere between 1/64 and 1/72.

I've heard 1/76 scale for this kit but the figures are closer to 1/72 as the standing figures are about 1.125" tall. The thing that really stood out to me was when I took the seated female figure and seated her in one of the passenger seats. She barely fit and, if you view the pilot episode, the seats are very roomy. So there seems to be a scale mismatch between the crew figures and the ship itself.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:47:47 pm by trekriffic »
Steve

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 04:44:02 pm »
OK. Time for another update...

Not sure what this monitor is useful for but it flashes with a red glow while the engine is operating:

lotlg2 by trekriffic, on Flickr

I used strip styrene to make my own replica for installation between the forward window ports:

Main Pilot Engine Monitor by trekriffic, on Flickr

The monitor sits at an angle with a horizontal saddle connecting it to the bow window frames:

Another View of the Forward Engine Monitor by trekriffic, on Flickr

Not bad. A reasonable facsimile if I do say so myself. I measured carefully to make sure the saddle would slide in underneath the lower rim of the clear bow window insert once installed:

Scratched Forward Engine Monitor by trekriffic, on Flickr

Test Fit:

Engine Monitor Test Fit by trekriffic, on Flickr

Black and red enamels were used to paint the screen of the engine monitor. The housing itself was sprayed with Tamiya Bare Metal Silver over Tamiya Matte Black lacquer:

Engine Monitor Painted by trekriffic, on Flickr

View of the passenger compartment from aft:

View of the Passenger Compartment from Aft by trekriffic, on Flickr

I painted the shelves under the windows using a mix of Testors Light Brown and Rust enamels. Since taking this photo I cleaned up the tiny splatter drops on the chairs:

Shelves Painted Brown by trekriffic, on Flickr

To correct an error I made painting the side panels brown I repainted them with Testors white enamel:

Sidewall Panels Re-Painted White by trekriffic, on Flickr

I scratched this center support girder using Evergreen strip. The support was built in place and turned out pretty well I think:

Center Window Support by trekriffic, on Flickr

The center window girder was painted Testors aluminum:

Centwer Window Support Painted by trekriffic, on Flickr

Jumping over to the other table for some work on the display base...

The base was primed with white lacquer then painted red-orange. Letters were cut from yellow masking tape and stuck down. I'll seal the tape edges with Future then give her an overspray with ModelMaster flat black:

Masking Tape Lettering on Base by trekriffic, on Flickr
Steve

Offline speedysurfer55

• Ensign
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 07:14:27 am »
It looks awesome!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: Today at 07:46:25 am »
This is going very well, Steve!

I am geeking out about your attention to detail - ya know like - "still"! Well done!

Where are you getting your source material? Are these screen grabs from DVD/Blu-ray you have of the series? Or just online images?

Either way, it looks like you are doing a massive amount of research to get the specifics!

Keep going!

Steve - the other one.

Offline trekriffic

• Lord Dark Spot
  • Captain
    • My Albums
« Reply #29 on: Today at 12:14:30 pm »
This is going very well, Steve!

I am geeking out about your attention to detail - ya know like - "still"! Well done!

Where are you getting your source material? Are these screen grabs from DVD/Blu-ray you have of the series? Or just online images?

Either way, it looks like you are doing a massive amount of research to get the specifics!

Keep going!

Steve - the other one.

I'm just pulling images off the net.  I got a lot off the Irwin Allen News Network found here: http://www.iann.net/giants/index.htm
Steve

Enterprise © Bloc