Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Round2 Klingon Bird-Of-Prey 1:350  (Read 938 times)

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
Round2 Klingon Bird-Of-Prey 1:350
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:45:56 pm »
Hey Guys!

Some of you who saw my 1966 Shelby Cobra S/C wanted me to post in the WIP for my next project ( In this case my First ).

I have never done a 1:350 and figured, since I like a challenge, I would go grab one today and start that process.

For my First "Big" project I wanted to do something Star Trek related, as I am a fan and well, IT'S STAR TREK!?

Any feedback ( Positive or Constructive ) would be SUPER appreciated as I will need as much as I can get.

It might be a few days before my next update as I need to research paints and lights. <--- Any help with both of those would help me immensely!   
"Per Aspera Ad Astra" and I will see you...Starside.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
Re: Round2 Klingon Bird-Of-Prey 1:350
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 07:55:05 am »
Way to jump in the fire with both feet!

I saw the quality of your Shelby and know you'll be fine with this!

I'll be following along to learn a thing or two!

Steady as she goes!

Steve

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Pathtarapong

• GCLUB
  • Ensign
    • sbobet
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 02:45:02 am »
I have to watch it.

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 07:22:33 am »
Thank you guys for the interest! This is going to be a very awesome learning opportunity as I go along.

Yesterday I started on some primer for the main hull and wings.

Haven't ever done primer on a model before I painted it, so here's hoping I haven't already doomed myself haha!

I don't have a fancy shop or nothing to do my projects, so I have to spray all the parts outside in a box ;)

Anyway, I will try to update everyone every day on progress and hope to get some great feedback along the way!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:24:21 am »
Are you going to paint HMS Bounty on it :)

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 08:45:53 am »
Are you going to paint HMS Bounty on it :)

You are a genius! I didn't even think of that haha. I might just do that!

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia.net
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:14:51 pm »
This Should be a good project. I'm looking forward to the updates!
Mark
"...once it's activated. there's no way to stop it!" - Scotty - DMa
www.NemVia.net

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 07:16:45 am »
Like I said earlier this week, I want to keep updates as often as I can.

The main hull parts have been primered and I am just waiting for my lighting kit from MadMan Lighting before I move onto the build phase!

Next update will follow the day they come in!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 05:05:31 pm »
I have three of these kits (not built yet) so I'll definitely be interested in your build.  I also have the Playmates 'toy' that has lights and sound as well as the Diamond Select 'HMS Bounty' Bird of Prey from ST IV.  Both the Playmates and Diamond Select are 350 scale and the exact same size as the AMT/Round2 Bird of Prey- in fact the parts look interchangeable.  The Diamond Select is incredible in its detail and lighting.

I saw a video once, but for the life of me I can't find it again... it was a 350 BOP build that had motorized wings!  Talk about wicked cool!  I'm all in on spinny blinky moving things!

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 07:37:34 pm »
I'm not trying to hijack your thread, if you don't want these here I'll remove them.

This is my Diamond Select 'HMS Bounty' BOP

The wings are movable too...  I can't show it in the attack position because of the landing gear and it not being on a stand.

Side angle...

From the top

Close up showing some of the detail

Lights on

HMS Bounty

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 08:01:27 am »
I'm not trying to hijack your thread, if you don't want these here I'll remove them.

I like them haha. With enough time...and patience...I hope mine can look just as good as yours. With Halloween and Life getting in the way, I haven't had much time to get back at the kit. But I plan on hitting it again within the next couple of days.

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 08:36:47 am »
Hey guys!

Been a few, but I finally have been able to hop back on the Bop and have made some progress. As rough as the kit looks ( to me ) it's going together quite nicely. Pics to follow.

Offline MiniMadnessR53

• Ensign
  • Jadon
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 10:44:01 am »
Here are some picture of what I have done recently.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p495/MiniMadnessR53/20171231_062928_zps9mo11sq0.jpg

All of the parts I decided to hand paint. I have an Airbrush, but have yet to "Master" using it and well....ended up having to sand on of the wings to clean up my...uhhh mistake.

I do have a question however. This kit seems like it got slightly bent, so the Top of the Hull has tiny gaps. How do I fill these? What would you suggest I do?

Also. Anyone that has lit one of these up....could you help me figure out where to postition things? I have an idea of where to put the wires but, I would like to not mess it up if I were to have to drill things out. Thanks in advance!

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 11:13:22 am »
Was just writing a reply when you posted the pics.
The painting looks good so far! Mistakes can help add to the worn look.

I just started building one myself, in that it's just come off the sprues and test fitted a bit, so I'm freewheeling somewhat here.
My plan right now is to glue the underside inserts (part 9 and 10) to the side pieces (3 and 4) and then glue that to the upper hull.
Then let that dictate how well it all fits to the lower hull. That might minimize the gaps, but there will definitely be some filling needed.

My upper hull especially has gaps at the front end, which is what I'm gathering from your pics, but all the parts still mate when pressed together ...
I plan to cement, then use clamps and rubber bands to pressure fit until the cement dries, then go in with some putty (Bondo, Squadron, etc).
I found my fingers to be the best applicators, though some people try to avoid that. Some putties shrink when they dry, so you
might have to apply a second time.

I'm still scratching my head a bit on the lighting. You mentioned in an earlier post you ordered the Madman kit?
I'm wondering how to light the disruptor cannons without major hack n' slash.

Hope that helps a bit.

Spencer
- Spock, what are the odds in getting a Royal Fizzbin ...?

- I have never computed them Captain.

Offline jazzydog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 11:16:07 am »
Looking to get my hands on one of these for 2018!

Enterprise © Bloc